2019 Schedule Thread

nope. We know we can play there for conf finals. With that Princeton game, MLS still hasn’t revealed their plans if we make the cup. I have a bad feeling they want to use RB Arena for a cup match of the opportunity presents itself.
I meant the conf finals

Reactions: adam
nope. We know we can play there for conf finals. With that Princeton game, MLS still hasn’t revealed their plans if we make the cup. I have a bad feeling they want to use RB Arena for a cup match of the opportunity presents itself.
Want, or only remaining option? I'm not sure the league would want to play the final in a location that embarrasses 2 franchises.

Reactions: Kjbert
Want, or only remaining option? I'm not sure the league would want to play the final in a location that embarrasses 2 franchises.

Au contraire mon frere. I think MLS has been in love with RBA since it was built and have wanted to showcase it in the MLS cup as one of the premiere SSS in the country since it was built. But NJRB never accommodated. They see this as their opportunity.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
Au contraire mon frere. I think MLS has been in love with RBA since it was built and have wanted to showcase it in the MLS cup as one of the premiere SSS in the country since it was built. But NJRB never accommodated. They see this as their opportunity.
I would love to win the First title in RBA history. Wipes out the red wedding easily.

Well now I'm almost certain the game won't be at RBA, because the history of things that I am assured the league will manipulate to happen come true less often than even random chance would dictate. Just in recent weeks I have been assured that the league was manipulating the Josef Martinez injury reports so he could appear under miraculous conditions against us and that didn't happen. Then I was assured that the league was manipulating results so that our Decision Day game against Philadelphia would decide who wins the East and that didn't happen.

Now I'm told that the league wants to ensure that a MLS Cup is played in RBA and instead of doing that when the Red Bulls won the Supporters Shield 3 times in 6 years the league is going to set it up so that NYCFC plays a MLS Cup game there instead of the Red Bulls. I guess the league changed the entire schedule this year just because they knew about that college football game and the Citi Field golf outing, and we've been getting all the calls and a super favorable schedule and the benefit of all that fawning MLS digital coverage this year to set us up to host the final.

Seriously, who is the constituency that wants this and has a say in the matter? Not the league as an entity: who specifically? Garber works for the owners. So do the writers. So which owners want NYCFC to host in RBA, not because it's the least bad option but just because they think it helps the league and themselves specifically? You really think the owners of the Crew, or RSL, or SKC, Cincinnati, Atlanta, or Portland give a flying burrito about showcasing RBA? You really think an arena built in the middle of a blight zone that the stadium failed to improve at all after 9 whole years and which had an embarrassing stink incident this summer puts the league in a good light because it's a good soccer atmosphere inside and has pretty grass and good sightlines that mean nothing to people watching from home? Does it help NYCFC build a stadium in New York City if they host an MLS cup in New Jersey and the league floods the media with stories about how wonderful RBA is and how easy it is to get there from New York City?

Well now I'm almost certain the game won't be at RBA, because the history of things that I am assured the league will manipulate to happen come true less often than even random chance would dictate. Just in recent weeks I have been assured that the league was manipulating the Josef Martinez injury reports so he could appear under miraculous conditions against us and that didn't happen. Then I was assured that the league was manipulating results so that our Decision Day game against Philadelphia would decide who wins the East and that didn't happen.

Now I'm told that the league wants to ensure that a MLS Cup is played in RBA and instead of doing that when the Red Bulls won the Supporters Shield 3 times in 6 years the league is going to set it up so that NYCFC plays a MLS Cup game there instead of the Red Bulls. I guess the league changed the entire schedule this year just because they knew about that college football game and the Citi Field golf outing, and we've been getting all the calls and a super favorable schedule and the benefit of all that fawning MLS digital coverage this year to set us up to host the final.

Seriously, who is the constituency that wants this and has a say in the matter? Not the league as an entity: who specifically? Garber works for the owners. So do the writers. So which owners want NYCFC to host in RBA, not because it's the least bad option but just because they think it helps the league and themselves specifically? You really think the owners of the Crew, or RSL, or SKC, Cincinnati, Atlanta, or Portland give a flying burrito about showcasing RBA? You really think an arena built in the middle of a blight zone that the stadium failed to improve at all after 9 whole years and which had an embarrassing stink incident this summer puts the league in a good light because it's a good soccer atmosphere inside and has pretty grass and good sightlines that mean nothing to people watching from home? Does it help NYCFC build a stadium in New York City if they host an MLS cup in New Jersey and the league floods the media with stories about how wonderful RBA is and how easy it is to get there from New York City?

haha.I’m not a conspiracy theorist. But if LAFC is out and NYC makes the final. It’s my opinion (with nothing to back it up but time following the league) they would like to have a final at RBA for the reasons stated earlier.

Exactly. They're waiting to see if they have to do it, but I am sure they will move the Princeton football game if Yankee Stadium can host the Cup Final. They won't move it until they have to, but they will if they need to. There's no reason to announce anything until and unless LAFC loses and NYCFC gets there, but I find it hard to believe the Yankees wouldn't want to host the MLS Cup Final over a worthless Ivy League football game.

Exactly. They're waiting to see if they have to do it, but I am sure they will move the Princeton football game if Yankee Stadium can host the Cup Final. They won't move it until they have to, but they will if they need to. There's no reason to announce anything until and unless LAFC loses and NYCFC gets there, but I find it hard to believe the Yankees wouldn't want to host the MLS Cup Final over a worthless Ivy League football game.

It’s not the Yankees or NYCFC’s choice.

It is the Yankees' choice to move the football game. No? If they do that doesn't the final (assuming we're in it and LAFC aren't) have to be held at Yankees' stadium? If the Yankees decide not to move the football game then it would be MLS choice as to where it would be held.

It is the Yankees' choice. They can move the football game. I believe they've done it before, in fact. And correct me if I'm wrong, I know college football is big in this country, but the MLS Cup Final is a premier event. You'd think the Yankees would want that event at the Stadium. That's all I'm saying. They own part of NYCFC. They have nothing to do with Princeton and Dartmouth. I think they'd apologize to Princeton and ask them to postpone by a week or move the game to next season. It just doesn't seem plausible that the Yankees would put an Ivy League football game over their partners NYCFC in the Cup Final.

But they won't make any changes until they have to, since they'll have 10 days from the conference final until the Cup Final. So they don't have to change the football game until they have to.

Reactions: ALBNYfan
Moving games for the Yankees is tolerable.

Having to move for a college football game would be extremely disappointing.

Reactions: Kjbert
It is the Yankees' choice to move the football game. No? If they do that doesn't the final (assuming we're in it and LAFC aren't) have to be held at Yankees' stadium? If the Yankees decide not to move the football game then it would be MLS choice as to where it would be held.

MLS Cup is run by the league, not the home team. If NYCFC hosts MLS Cup it is the league’s decision where to host it - this is never an issue because in the new format it’s the home team’s stadium.

If NYCFC hosts MLS Cup the college football game will get moved. No way a major sports league final game will take its directions from a college game.

Reactions: The Toe
Or they will just play the final the next day notwithstanding the college game the prior day. Watching Minnesota-LA Galaxy has made me more convinced that it's possible.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Or they will just play the final the next day notwithstanding the college game the prior day. Watching Minnesota-LA Galaxy has made me more convinced that it's possible.
Field looked kind of messy though at the end of the game, I remember seeing a few players tearing up turf trying to stop their run/direction. That's the biggest thing I'm worried about. Not the lines, but the actual grass strength to sustaining a football game and then soccer.

Field looked kind of messy though at the end of the game, I remember seeing a few players tearing up turf trying to stop their run/direction. That's the biggest thing I'm worried about. Not the lines, but the actual grass strength to sustaining a football game and then soccer.
It's also brand new turf. After their last regular season game they pulled up all the existing grass and lay down new sod. Of course we have a similar issue with the infield, but maybe not the entire field.

Reactions: Schwallacus
It's also brand new turf. After their last regular season game they pulled up all the existing grass and lay down new sod. Of course we have a similar issue with the infield, but maybe not the entire field.
That definitely didn't help anything if the turf was essentially brand new and unsettled. However, even if the turf is well settled, football games tend to destroy the middle of the field between the hashmarks due to 9-10 heavily weighted (250-300 lbs) linemen wrestling each other every single play. The wings of the field might be okay, but I really have a bad feeling about trying to play on a field that was just used for a football game. passing across the middle of the field would be like passing across a minefield.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Worth mentioning about the football game - when Yankee Stadium hosts football, the field does not run in the same direction as it does for soccer. The field for football is oriented from home plate to slightly left of center field. This is at about a 45 degree angle to how the soccer pitch is oriented.

This is worth keeping in mind when considering the potential look of any football lines and where the field may be worn down.

Oh, and tickets for Dartmouth - Princeton remain cheap and plentiful.

yankee-stadium-new-york-ny-football-venue.jpg
Yankee-Stadium-Soccer-Seating-Chart-Price.jpg

Reactions: LionNYC
Worth mentioning about the football game - when Yankee Stadium hosts football, the field does not run in the same direction as it does for soccer. The field for football is oriented from home plate to slightly left of center field. This is at about a 45 degree angle to how the soccer pitch is oriented.

This is worth keeping in mind when considering the potential look of any football lines and where the field may be worn down.

Oh, and tickets for Dartmouth - Princeton remain cheap and plentiful.

yankee-stadium-new-york-ny-football-venue.jpg
Yankee-Stadium-Soccer-Seating-Chart-Price.jpg
That rotated field has zero prime seats with its orientation. Every fan is a mile from the action.

I’m sorry but why can’t we play the mls cup at Yankee stadium again?