2021 Schedule Thread

Of the 17 MLS Regular Season matches in 2021, how many will be played at Yankee Stadium?

• Total voters
There’s an argument to be made that retired seniors and those in LTC centers shouldn’t be in the first wave of folks to get shots

There’s an argument to be made that retired seniors and those in LTC centers shouldn’t be in the first wave of folks to get shots
Of course. Younger, working people spread the virus very quick. Protecting the workforce could tamp down spread faster.
On the other hand, the death rate skyrockets with age, and it spreads especially fast and is especially deadly in LTC centers. The ltc my grandfather spent his last two years in had one of the deadliest outbreaks in the country. If he was still there this year, and survived the initial wave, and the state decided to give me the vaccine while he was still isolated and surrounded by death, I would probably storm the state capitol!

Could this affect playing at YS? I mean most of us would agree, getting people vaccinated is more important than playing baseball or dinner.

Playing games there? Probably not. Having fans there? Maybe. Citi Field is also a vaccination site (probably the parking lot). I would imagine the Great Hall would be the vaccination site at Yankee Stadium. I would think Cuomo will allow a small number of fans at games this spring/summer. So with so few fans attending, maybe they close the Great Hall to fans and have fans enter through the other gates? That way vaccinations don't impact games and vise versa.

Of course. Younger, working people spread the virus very quick. Protecting the workforce could tamp down spread faster.
On the other hand, the death rate skyrockets with age, and it spreads especially fast and is especially deadly in LTC centers. The ltc my grandfather spent his last two years in had one of the deadliest outbreaks in the country. If he was still there this year, and survived the initial wave, and the state decided to give me the vaccine while he was still isolated and surrounded by death, I would probably storm the state capitol!

you’re right. Morally, we should treat the elderly first. Economically (and for the sanity of children), working parents should get it first.

Cuomo said that at the current vaccination rate, it will take 7 months just to vaccinate groups 1a and 1b. I don’t see how we are getting fans back any time soon barring a huge change in the shitshow that is the current way vaccinations are being handled and/or a massive change in vaccine availability (maybe the J&J ‘one shot’ dose will do this).

better get ready to watch games at RBA on your TV this year.

Cuomo said that at the current vaccination rate, it will take 7 months just to vaccinate groups 1a and 1b. I don’t see how we are getting fans back any time soon barring a huge change in the shitshow that is the current way vaccinations are being handled and/or a massive change in vaccine availability (maybe the J&J ‘one shot’ dose will do this).

Honestly if fans can go to games I'm cool with RBA. It's so much more enjoyable watching soccer on a real soccer pitch. The camera angles are much better too.

Reactions: Vallos

Only way to see the team in person this season will again be traveling to away games and buying tickets on a reselling site.

Reactions: Kjbert and canchon
If NY still isn't open to fans when the season starts, how would people feel about playing home games in Hartford, where Toronto was able to have a limited number of fans last fall.

Reactions: Kjbert
If NY still isn't open to fans when the season starts, how would people feel about playing home games in Hartford, where Toronto was able to have a limited number of fans last fall.

i personally dont care and i think most wouldnt care since majority still wont travel even to CT to see games( some may prefer it to playing at RBA). I dont know if it will be available anyway since im reading that canadian teams may have to play home games in US stadiums again.

I'd be surprised if NY wasn't allowing 10% attendance by April, with even more fans coming as the season continues. If the most vulnerable people have been vaccinated by June or July and death/hospitalization rate plummet, we could return to some sort of normalcy by late summer even if some people are still getting infected.

Yankee Stadium is now a vaccination site. Wonder how this complicates things.

I imagine they will use the Great Hall, and so especially for small crowds you could have people enter from other gates. I would imagine they won't allow more than 5,000 fans to start, so would be easy to get everyone in without using the Great Hall.

I'd be surprised if NY wasn't allowing 10% attendance by April, with even more fans coming as the season continues. If the most vulnerable people have been vaccinated by June or July and death/hospitalization rate plummet, we could return to some sort of normalcy by late summer even if some people are still getting infected.

I think it is very likely that fans will be in NY stadiums by spring.

Now whether we will be in Yankee Stadium is another matter.

I think it is very likely that fans will be in NY stadiums by spring.
From an economist I follow:
Youyang Gu, whose projections have been among the most accurate, projects that the United States will have reached herd immunity by July, with about half of the immunity coming from vaccinations and half from infections. Long before we reach herd immunity, however, the infection and death rates will fall. Gu is projecting that by March infections will be half what they are now and by May about one-tenth the current rate. The drop will catch people by surprise just like the increase. We are not good at exponentials. The economy will boom in Q2 as infections decline.

Here's hoping.

From an economist I follow:
Youyang Gu, whose projections have been among the most accurate, projects that the United States will have reached herd immunity by July, with about half of the immunity coming from vaccinations and half from infections. Long before we reach herd immunity, however, the infection and death rates will fall. Gu is projecting that by March infections will be half what they are now and by May about one-tenth the current rate. The drop will catch people by surprise just like the increase. We are not good at exponentials. The economy will boom in Q2 as infections decline.

Here's hoping.

I don’t think he’s wrong. Caveat is that there is data now out of South Africa that the two strains seem to cause reinfections

I don’t think he’s wrong. Caveat is that there is data now out of South Africa that the two strains seem to cause reinfections

But do they only cause mild illness, or do they cause severe infections? If this thing can get turned into a mild illness, then it can be treated like a cold and we can go back to normal. If vaccination prevents you from suffering severe symptoms from the variants, then that's still a win.