2024 Leagues Cup

Jeez I really wish we could be a 10th as good as the crew they are incredible (and play like what we were at our best) the amount they get out of players is unreal and I'll tell you what they don't have any issues at the 9

Cucho, man.
Cucho should send a fruit basket to Atuesta for the first goal (Atuesta’s defending - twice - on the cross in was inexcusable) and Cucho did get some luck on the second one with Lloris getting cement shoes.

Still, he is pretty much the blueprint for what you want in a MLS 9. Cucho pretty much cost the same as Jovan. Yikes.

Reactions: Marito and Gene
Only team that the crew didn’t beat in regulation…NYCFC. Figures. We are kings of “but we played well”.

Reactions: Gene
I thought LAFC really took the game to Columbus at times in the second half - in a way that I haven't seen other teams do, including us (not that I have seen most of their games). Give credit to Columbus, the flipped the script and got the win. When the Crew are rolling, which they usually are, they are incredible. Best MLS team I can remember seeing.

Columbus daytime tv spends quite a lot of time celebrating the Crew win by dunking on Precourt for moving to Austin.

Watch for the Midwest “nice” version of TALKING YOUR SHIT. Glorious.

Well done Columbus.

crew have become a model club. one of the first to have a SSS... upgrading to one of the newest SSS.. and showing how it's done on the field with one of the best and fun to watch style. i really thought they were going to win the concacaf champions cup, but it is what it is.

it's kinda crazy to be a big market team with owners that have all the resources in the world, but when it comes to managing the roster, we've been so amateur.

crew have become a model club. one of the first to have a SSS... upgrading to one of the newest SSS.. and showing how it's done on the field with one of the best and fun to watch style. i really thought they were going to win the concacaf champions cup, but it is what it is.

it's kinda crazy to be a big market team with owners that have all the resources in the world, but when it comes to managing the roster, we've been so amateur.
Crew, like the Timbers, are one of those teams I root for whenever it doesn't matter to me. I'm happy to see them win things.

Aside from not blowing $19.5M on 3 players who can't even make the starting lineup, another thing the Crew and other successful MLS teams do well is find valuable players within the league. I don't buy the old-school commentator mantra that you need MLS vets to win in the MLS but there is value within the league and the NYCFC front office completely ignores that avenue for roster improvement. The Crew's roster is stacked with players from other MLS clubs that the Crew used savvy moves to scoop up and bolster positions of need.

The Crew's addition of DeJuan Jones is a perfect example. They got Will Sand's from us for basically nothing as we didn't want to sign him. They held Sands for a little over a year until the Revs were looking to dump salary so the Crew flipped Sands and $600K GAM to the Revs for DeJuan Jones a 27-year-old MLS starter-level outside back with 142 appearances for the Revsand 8 caps for the USMNT.

On our end, we paid a $1M transfer fee for Illenic who is on the bench behind Gray and is no where near the level of a quality MLS starter. I'd be willing to bet from this point forward DeJuan Jones plays more meaningful MLS min than Illenic and he doesn't cost an international spot.

I thought LAFC really took the game to Columbus at times in the second half - in a way that I haven't seen other teams do, including us (not that I have seen most of their games). Give credit to Columbus, the flipped the script and got the win. When the Crew are rolling, which they usually are, they are incredible. Best MLS team I can remember seeing.
They're really balanced. And there's no way to quantify the will to win, but they unquestionably have it, especially in key moments. They know how to be fired up without becoming reckless. Kudos to Wilfried Nancy for instilling such a stellar culture.

On our end, we paid a $1M transfer fee for Illenic who is on the bench behind Gray and is no where near the level of a quality MLS starter. I'd be willing to bet from this point forward DeJuan Jones plays more meaningful MLS min than Illenic and he doesn't cost an international spot.
Unless the Crew sign him, in which case he will start a lot of games and become Malte Amundsen 2.0.

• Haha
Reactions: gbservis and moogoo