LionNYC

Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
Last edited:
first top ten pick since jonathan lewis?
Yeah, NYCFC's first picks
2015: 2nd (Shelton)
2016: 4th (Traded to Chicago + GAM for Harrison who was selected 1st)
2017: 3rd (Received pick from Chicago for $250k GAM; selected Lewis)
2018: 19th (Caldwell)
2019: 12th (Received pick from LA Galaxy for 19th pick + $75k GAM; selected Barraza)
2020: 22nd (Perez)
2021: 44th (Di Rosa; NYCFC traded away the 17th pick to Minnesota for $50k GAM)
2022: 34th (Received pick from FC Dallas for $50k GAM, selected O'Toole; NYCFC traded away the 28th pick to FC Dallas for $50k GAM)
2023: 26th (Johnston)

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Yeah, NYCFC's first picks
2015: 2nd (Shelton)
2016: 4th (Traded to Chicago + GAM for Harrison who was selected 1st)
2017: 3rd (Received pick from Chicago for $250k GAM; selected Lewis)
2018: 19th (Caldwell)
2019: 12th (Received pick from LA Galaxy for 19th pick + $75k GAM; selected Barraza)
2020: 22nd (Perez)
2021: 44th (Di Rosa; NYCFC traded away the 17th pick to Minnesota for $50k GAM)
2022: 34th (Received pick from FC Dallas for $50k GAM, selected O'Toole; NYCFC traded away the 28th pick to FC Dallas for $50k GAM)

The general consensus I see from MLS fans is that the draft is pretty useless but looking at this list I'd say NYCFC has done pretty well. Shelton, Harrison, Lewis, Barraza, and O'toole have all played a solid amount of minutes for the club. Not many stars from the draft but getting solid rotation players on very team-friendly contracts is for sure a win.

The general consensus I see from MLS fans is that the draft is pretty useless but looking at this list I'd say NYCFC has done pretty well. Shelton, Harrison, Lewis, Barraza, and O'toole have all played a solid amount of minutes for the club. Not many stars from the draft but getting solid rotation players on very team-friendly contracts is for sure a win.
The craziest pickup recently has been Jack Elliott of Philadelphia who was a 4th ROUND pick in 2017.

The problem with MLS Super Draft Day is that even though we and other teams do occasionally get solid players, it's nearly impossible to tell until at least a year later, maybe more.
Draft and stash. But maybe a little more evident with MLS NEXT Pro now.

66th pick last year MD Myers wins the MLS NEXT Pro in the same season.

Reactions: mgarbowski
As MLS continues to grow faster than the American college soccer experience, the draft will become less and less important. We are basically drafting guys to be the final players on the bench or NYCFC II players. The odds of finding an MLS-quality level player in the draft gets smaller every year.

As MLS continues to grow faster than the American college soccer experience, the draft will become less and less important. We are basically drafting guys to be the final players on the bench or NYCFC II players. The odds of finding an MLS-quality level player in the draft gets smaller every year.
Weirdly, I still think it's necessary. There are always like 1 or 2 players that end up being pretty good, if not really good. And that's a LOT of good homegrown even without looking at various clubs' own homegrown systems. If we can keep this process of attempting to find any random good players and bringing them into the USMNT pool via USA or Europe, I think we should do it.