Annoying Words

Vinjay

Registered
Mar 19, 2014
Decided to create this following some comments in another thread plus the "slang" topic.

Anyone annoyed by certain words whether for logical reasons or not? Discount words that are curses or would never be used by a certain class of people (even if the board isn't exactly full of "posh upper class" types lol). I don't like the word "derby" as I feel there's too much of an old fashioned "ring" to it and should be modernised. Also don't like the word banter but I'm actually far from the only one who dislikes that word.

So anyone got their own list?

Got to say I'm the other way around. I love traditional words and can't stand modernising language for the sake of modernising it.

Reactions: Christian
Decided to create this following some comments in another thread plus the "slang" topic.

Anyone annoyed by certain words whether for logical reasons or not? Discount words that are curses or would never be used by a certain class of people (even if the board isn't exactly full of "posh upper class" types lol). I don't like the word "derby" as I feel there's too much of an old fashioned "ring" to it and should be modernised. Also don't like the word banter but I'm actually far from the only one who dislikes that word.

So anyone got their own list?
Nothing wrong with banter between fans on Derby Day

Reactions: Christian
Unless its South America (extreme case there), Manchester, etc then there's something wrong if its anything less than pure hostility in my view. Examples such as Liverpool are different as we all know the people of that city are unique to themselves. The same word just drags it into the same context as lesser affairs. Anyway I'm sure over time something more "contemporary" will come into usage and replace it. I don't really have much time for this "laddish banter" malarkey either its one of those things about UK culture I've never liked. When I insult someone I don't sugercoat it, disguise it as "banter" (which often develops into downright bullying even between friends) or mean it in a joking fashion. For instance something I posted on twitter a few minutes ago about stupid online poker players.

Last edited: