Away - 03/05 Orlando

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rivas 15'
Villa 33'
Kaka 55'
Villa 60'

2-2 final score

Don't we get a thread for that sort of thing?

Edit: I didn't mean to tease you if your actually suffer from premature prognostication. We've all been there. (Well maybe not, but trying to make you feel better)

Reactions: Kjbert
I think we're basically stronger than Orlando at every position except for Kaka. Kreis looks like he's playing a redux of his 4-4-2 diamond with a focus on the counter. So they're going to proabably bunker and try to counter. Which I believe will not really work for them because our defense finally has wheels and a good DM.
What's hopefully going to be amusing if Kreis uses his tightened-diamond is that it compresses the spine on defense and gives up the sidelines.... and where isNYCFC loaded this year but none other that our wings. I could see us making lots of quick passes to the outside with our wings then running hard to the endline. Maxi could drift left and really overload the right back/Spector combo. Could be a crazy track meet.

What's hopefully going to be amusing if Kreis uses his tightened-diamond is that it compresses the spine on defense and gives up the sidelines.... and where isNYCFC loaded this year but none other that our wings. I could see us making lots of quick passes to the outside with our wings then running hard to the endline. Maxi could drift left and really overload the right back/Spector combo. Could be a crazy track meet.

I really hope that Kreis is not that foolish. For all that I think him a bad coach and desire vengeance for what he did to our squad year 1, that carried over to year 2, I would like him to live up to his original billing as a possibly great American coach. We need more Bob Bradley's and Bruce Arena's in the world in order for soccer in the US to really progress. More of those guys should mean that there is a higher level of youth coach available for the kids to learn under, which should produce better results for the national team.

But honestly, I feel like Kreis is probably going to compress the spine and give up the wings, because that's what he did with us. And at RSL before us.

Though to be fair, with the 2015 team, we basically gave up the entire field that wasn't where David Villa or Pirlo existed.

I really hope that Kreis is not that foolish. For all that I think him a bad coach and desire vengeance for what he did to our squad year 1, that carried over to year 2, I would like him to live up to his original billing as a possibly great American coach. We need more Bob Bradley's and Bruce Arena's in the world in order for soccer in the US to really progress. More of those guys should mean that there is a higher level of youth coach available for the kids to learn under, which should produce better results for the national team.

But honestly, I feel like Kreis is probably going to compress the spine and give up the wings, because that's what he did with us. And at RSL before us.

Though to be fair, with the 2015 team, we basically gave up the entire field that wasn't where David Villa or Pirlo existed.
US soccer doesn't need Kreis. They have up and coming managers in Wagner and Pereja being the brightest. Berhalter, Olsen, Vanney, and Vermes are also finding success. mastroani has been very bad and very good so he's a bit of a wait and see. There's even the whiny bitch Marsch who will likely be exposed as a one-trick pony with his high press and zero defense, but he has a more direct path to Europe than most. Yeah, Kreis had his chance and this year in Orlando he's going to demonstrate that he's successful at killing two clubs in a row....now if we can convince Mexico that he's a brighter star than Osorio then that would be my pick for his next job.

I think we're basically stronger than Orlando at every position except for Kaka. Kreis looks like he's playing a redux of his 4-4-2 diamond with a focus on the counter. So they're going to proabably bunker and try to counter. Which I believe will not really work for them because our defense finally has wheels and a good DM.

Yeah, MLS did another article (below) on the Break Shea trade. They say that Kreis will go back to his favorite narrow diamond midfield (aka no true wingers) so Shea was expendable. Makes sense. I think this would be the perfect situation to play the mata/brill/callens/chanot back 4 (back 3 on attack). I don't think they will trouble us out wide, so we should clog up the box with 3 CBs and let Mata go ham up the wing with Wallace.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...s-trade-tells-us-about-orlando-city-vancouver

Yeah, MLS did another article (below) on the Break Shea trade. They say that Kreis will go back to his favorite narrow diamond midfield (aka no true wingers) so Shea was expendable. Makes sense. I think this would be the perfect situation to play the mata/brill/callens/chanot back 4 (back 3 on attack). I don't think they will trouble us out wide, so we should clog up the box with 3 CBs and let Mata go ham up the wing with Wallace.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...s-trade-tells-us-about-orlando-city-vancouver

Yeah I think we're going to see the back three option rolled out for this one. ORL is probably going to bunker pretty hard, my only worry is what can a Kaka fed Larin do on a counter. But it looks like callens has some real wheels, so we should be able to have at least one man between any given ORL player and the goalie at any given time.

Is our attack good enough to break down a team that's made a strategic decision to park the bus as a play style? That I don't know, but I'd give us good odds. Ideally Pirlo starts doing Pirlo things from a dead ball situation again and causes ORL to be terrified of fouling us inside the 30.

Question: if the game is on ESPN, will it be streamed on the ESPN app even if you are in NYC or is it blocked (and I assume MLS live is blocked)? I likely will go out to watch, but if at home, I may be shuffled away from the television at some point towards the end during bedtimes juggling.

Question: if the game is on ESPN, will it be streamed on the ESPN app even if you are in NYC or is it blocked (and I assume MLS live is blocked)? I likely will go out to watch, but if at home, I may be shuffled away from the television at some point towards the end during bedtimes juggling.
It has been on the ESPN app in the past in the New York metro area, even if it was on TV.

Reactions: adam and JayH
Not as familiar with some of their players. How do we match up with speed? Also, how do you feel Kreis plays us?
Defensive, counter attack?
Or with it being the first game do you think he's more aggressive? Either way based on yesterday's game I think it falls into our strengths. We love to possess. We also showed we can counter strong with all the pace we added this season.

Kries always seemed very rigid in his approach when he was here, he always wants to play a possession. With a full training camp and a fresh start I have to imagine he will come out with the team playing his preferred style and trying to dominate the ball. The other Kries strategy I keep thinking of is that TFC game our first season where he clearly gave instructions to have Giovinco thrown to the ground as many times as possible. Wouldn't be surprised to see him issue the same command for Villa and/or Maxi in this game and if that's the case the outcome could be very ref dependent.

On our side we seem much better equipped to press this year with our added speed and athleticism, it will be interesting to see how often and when PV deploys a press. If Kries goes with his backward pass possession based approach we should get some nice chances on the break of a well executed press that leads to a turn over.

Finally season is here along with these "fun" exercises. Here is a combination of what I would like to see and what I think Vieira will lineup. let's see how close we can get.

upload_2017-2-27_11-30-26.png

Bench: Rawls, Wallace, Ring, Ugo, Brillant, TMac, Shelton.

Not sure if Lewis is available.

Finally season is here along with these "fun" exercises. Here is a combination of what I would like to see and what I think Vieira will lineup. let's see how close we can get.

View attachment 6630

On a bigger field, I really want Ring out there with Pirlo sitting.

View attachment 6630

You'd have Rawls on the bench over Lurch?

The other Kries strategy I keep thinking of is that TFC game our first season where he clearly gave instructions to have Giovinco thrown to the ground as many times as possible. Wouldn't be surprised to see him issue the same command for Villa and/or Maxi in this game and if that's the case the outcome could be very ref dependent.
Damn. I was literally going to make the exact point that if you want to know what to expect, go back and watch that game.

I won't do it now, though. I like being one of the people who tries to read the threads before posting.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

View attachment 6630

Looks good to me for the most part. I'd make a few switches just to be a bit more defensive and get some more experience on the field.

I'd go Wallace over Carmago just based on the fact that he's slightly more defensive and he's familiar with the MLS. The place is going to be insane, a little bit of league familiarity can't hurt, let Carmago come in as a spark off the bench if we need him. I'd also put Brillant in the middle and slide Chanot out to RB in place of RJ so we can start the game off a bit more defensively. Larin seems capable of turning any MLS defender he wants if he gets them 1:1, 3 CBs at the back should help mitigate the risk of one getting isolated on Larin. Finally I'd swap Ring in for Herrera mainly because he's older seems very composed and has more professional games under his belt at this point. Nothing against Herrera, he looks very promising, just not sure I'm throwing a 19 year old out as our holding mid the day Orlando opens their new stadium.

Looks good to me for the most part. I'd make a few switches just to be a bit more defensive and get some more experience on the field.

I'd go Wallace over Carmago just based on the fact that he's slightly more defensive and he's familiar with the MLS. The place is going to be insane, a little bit of league familiarity can't hurt, let Carmago come in as a spark off the bench if we need him. I'd also put Brillant in the middle and slide Chanot out to RB in place of RJ so we can start the game off a bit more defensively. Larin seems capable of turning any MLS defender he wants if he gets them 1:1, 3 CBs at the back should help mitigate the risk of one getting isolated on Larin. Finally I'd swap Ring in for Herrera mainly because he's older seems very composed and has more professional games under his belt at this point. Nothing against Herrera, he looks very promising, just not sure I'm throwing a 19 year old out as our holding mid the day Orlando opens their new stadium.
I'm with you on Wallace and Ring which is why I had them on the swap. In the end, I went with the assumption that Vieira may want more speed with Camargo and Herrera seemed more technical. Close call.

Not so much with you on Brillant switch to RB.

We'll see.

I think/know we will see RJ at RB. I hope we will see Chanot there, with Brillant and Callens at CB.

I'm not about to go back and re-watch the last game, but from what I remember, RJ's contributions going forward included a few sky-ed crosses that literally went over the crossbar, and a cheap torso punch when he got stripped inside the first 5 min. Guy needs to get his shit together.

Status
Not open for further replies.