Away Fans

mrplow2000

Registered
Jan 2, 2015
I was thinking away support would be quite low maybe a couple of 100 due to the large distances between Citys (bar Red Bull) but thinking on it, i guess there will be a lot of fans from other places living in New York.

What sort of support will other bring? How will be the largest to turn out? The noisiest? etc etc.

I dunno, I'd expect away support to be pretty high, especially depending on who we're playing - Yankee Stadium might not be ideal for soccer, but it's iconic enough to draw crowds outside the city limits
I agree. I believe Philly, Washington and NE are close enough for a good number of fans to make road trips when their respective teams come to town.

I would also tend to think New York as a vacation destination might bring fans from all corners of the league during the summer home games.

I agree. I also think Philly, Washington and NE are close enough for fans to make road trips when their respective teams come to town.

I would also tend to think New York as a vacation destination might bring teams from all corners of the league during the summer home games.
Agreed! The Sounders and LA should draw some good crowds as well, specially if Gerrard is stateside when and if we meet at home

Reactions: Gene
In the ~10 red bull games ive been to over the past few years most regular season games get 50-100 away fans (sitting in the away section - handful of others spread around the stadium).

Since NYCFC is a new product in their inaugural year in an iconic stadium id assume we would get more then the RBNY numbers.

To be honest I see our big rivalry home and away not with the Dead Bulls but with Philly. It is a much more organic rivalry and more in the way of our natural opponents. Here in NY I have always looked to Jersey as a backwater. Hell I have had more back and forth with friends in Philly over us and them then anyone in Jersey.

Philly, New England, DC & Montreal all travel with decent numbers. Portland has a local NY chapter of support so they'll have a few out. Apart from those above and Red Bull, you won;t see much in terms of Away support

Reactions: LostAnvil
To be honest I see our big rivalry home and away not with the Dead Bulls but with Philly. It is a much more organic rivalry and more in the way of our natural opponents. Here in NY I have always looked to Jersey as a backwater. Hell I have had more back and forth with friends in Philly over us and them then anyone in Jersey.
Plenty of proud Jersey people on here and when it comes to sports, especially hockey, the devils-rangers is a very good feud. Besides, think we've all been to plenty of 'backwaters' in parts of NY.

I'm pretty sure we have to have the like the highest concentration of clubs near us.

Philly, DC, NE, NJ, Toronto, Montreal

I know Portland has like a chapter or something in our city, which is kind of crazy. Seattle fans will probably fly out here for the game. Lots of wealth in that fanbase. I wouldn't be surprised to see some Columbus fans come our way for the first encounter at least.

I expect quite a few away fans.

Reactions: Gene
Hey rivalries take all shapes and sizes. They can happen:

Geographically (Devils-Rangers)
Playing in same division/league (Yankees-Red Sox)
When natural competition brings about friction (Heat-Pacers for a brief time)
Playoffs or big games (Lakers-Celtics of the '80s)

For all the proximity, Giants-Jets isn't a real rivalry on the field. Maybe between fans only. I think NYCFC-Red Balls will be both on field and between the fans.

Reactions: Goodfella