Will You Get The Vaccine?

Will You Get It? (Assuming an Unbiased Science Based Approval Before Year End)

• Maybe: Only if we are in a big second/third wave

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO: I don't vaccinate myself.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Does anyone know if any of the at-home tests are acceptable for YS entry? I just saw that CVS has/will have two FDA approved at-home rapid tests in stores for $24 or $35.

I'm not willing to cater to the extreme anti-vaxxers, nor to the super scared and timid.

Congratulations. You just won an ethics debate nobody is having. This is a public health messaging issue.

The majority of people don't read studies or closely track the news. Their knowledge matrix is
  1. We have a scary dangerous virus, which I know because they made us stay home, keep distance and wear masks.
  2. There is a vaccine, but they're not promising to end those things after people get the shots so it must not work very good.
  3. They just banned one of the vaccines, so they must be more dangerous than the virus.
Rationally, they decide not to get the useless, dangerous vaccine. Nice job public health industry. And the double mutation variant scare talk ain't helping either.

Adding to that:

Gov/CDC: Precautions relaxed.
Virus: Not enough of you have been vaccinated, I've mutated to be more infectious/resistant to defenses and or deadlier. (*see below)
Gov/CDC: Precautions put back into place.
4. They just told us we have take "strict" precautions again (like wearing a mask). Do these people not know what they are doing? Why should I listen to them???

Your narrative also leaves out the very contentious context of 2020 which could explain the actual current narrative.

Even "slightly less effective" would still be "highly effective".... we don't need 90+% effectiveness (that's pretty atypical for a vaccine).
Here's one link: https://www.biopharma-reporter.com/...cine-appears-effective-against-Brazil-variant

*Variant related: This recently published study: Brazil Variant (Related: ARS article), at a minimum suggests more needs to be done to prove that out. This is an unknown and certainly not scare talk.

In today's context "a public health messaging issue" needs to be very strongly based on facts, facts with a lower probability of changing in the near future. It is better to be safe then sorry.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe there needs to be an eventual ramp to get off these restrictions. With the level of infections in parts of the country, the low percent of vaccinations , and the unknowns related to newer variants, I just don't think we're there yet.

I wouldn't agree with that just yet. Here in MA at least, getting an appointment has still been challenging and we only opened up to all adults today which will only make it harder. I think NY books appointments weeks in advance still (?) So some people who have appointments in a few weeks are content, whereas in MA we're generally only booking appointments for doses in hand over the next 5 days so demand is still high. I bet the number of NY'ers with either a shot or a booked appointment is pretty high.

It probably varies by region. I just got my second shot yesterday. It took me weeks to get an appointment for my first. I just checked the NY state site and there is almost immediate availability. I could have gotten an appointment for today at a site near Albany or one at Javits.

Screenshot 2021-04-19 at 6.51.31 PM.png

ETA: This is immediately after our next home game and just before we start 5 straight “home” games in New Jersey.

Last edited:
I complained about the stadium protocols to the good Dr. Mrs. G.

She said one reason for the redundancy in safeguards is that at a sporting event, fans are expected to shout and scream, and in our case sing. That kind of behavior has been demonstrated to much more strongly facilitate viral spread. It‘s why choir members have to be 12 feet apart when performing instead of 6, for example.

It explains why the Third Rail can’t bring drums. It also explains why outdoor sporting events are at 20%, while movie theaters are about to change to 50%.

I am still not sure it all makes sense. In the end it still seems too cautious to me to have 4 redundant safeguards. If I were to give up one, I think it would be the testing before arrival. It’s the toughest one to comply with, and I am good with outdoors, mask wearing and social distancing as protection.

She said one reason for the redundancy in safeguards is that at a sporting event, fans are expected to shout and scream, and in our case sing. That kind of behavior has been demonstrated to much more strongly facilitate viral spread. It‘s why choir members have to be 12 feet apart when performing instead of 6, for example.

It explains why the Third Rail can’t bring drums. It also explains why outdoor sporting events are at 20%, while movie theaters are about to change to 50%.

I am still not sure it all makes sense. In the end it still seems too cautious to me to have 4 redundant safeguards. If I were to give up one, I think it would be the testing before arrival. It’s the toughest one to comply with, and I am good with outdoors, mask wearing and social distancing as protection.

I would also assume part of the reason is that people are not going to 100% comply with all of the regulations, so that creates a swiss cheese theory of protection.

Should I N95 mask up?

After seeing the experiences in India and Chile, I am becoming much more tolerant of some restrictions being kept here for now, even if some of them seem excessive. Granted, they are vaccinating at a slower per capita rate (India) and/or using a much less effective set of vaccines than we are (Chile especially, the Chinese vax they are using is only said to be 16% effective after 1st dose, whereas our big two are about 80%), but they've shown how rapidly things can get way out of control seemingly overnight.
We've been talking about public messaging in this thread. I think the government and media should aggressively cover the situation in those two countries to really get the point across that this isn't just going to go away without high vax rates and continues caution for a little longer.

I'm not saying lock it down, just use caution. It seems like the relaxing of restrictions was just part of the problem in those countries but the relaxed attitudes towards the virus is the key troublemaker.

The positive news is that it appears as though we've turned the corner of vaccine availability. It's now pretty easy to schedule a dose in most of the country so the key is to encourage people to show up!

Last edited:
After seeing the experiences in India and Chile, I am becoming much more tolerant of some restrictions being kept here for now, even if some of them seem excessive. Granted, they are vaccinating at a slower per capita rate (India) and/or using a much less effective set of vaccines than we are (Chile especially, the Chinese vax they are using is only said to be 16% effective after 1st dose, whereas our big two are about 80%), but they've shown how rapidly things can get way out of control seemingly overnight.
We've been talking about public messaging in this thread. I think the government and media should aggressively cover the situation in those two countries to really get the point across that this isn't just going to go away without high vax rates and continues caution for a little longer.

I'm not saying lock it down, just use caution. It seems like the relaxing of restrictions was just part of the problem in those countries but the relaxed attitudes towards the virus is the key troublemaker.

The positive news is that it appears as though we've turned the corner of vaccine availability. It's now pretty easy to schedule a dose in most of the country so the key is to encourage people to show up!

We're also at what, 40% of the population with one dose, and in parts of the country like here, probably at least another 15-25% of people who have had the virus but not the vaccine. So there is some level of community protection now.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Not quite sure you are going to get 70% of adults to be vaccinated. There is more supply than demand already it appears. We’re stalled.
I thought this statement was premature, but it seems as though it was accurate, although in my area it happened just a couple days later. Its like a switch flipped overnight from having to scour for appointments to desperate attempts by providers to get people out.
I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and they had signs and announcements pushing shots, and they offered a choice of Moderna or J&J. CVS had a lady outside a store swinging a sign to walk in now kind of like tax places do.
Our pace has certainly slowed down but still ticking up. I think we're around 68% of eligible people getting one shot so far, hopefully we can get higher because I feel as though they may make it mandatory for kids if things persist.

I thought this statement was premature, but it seems as though it was accurate, although in my area it happened just a couple days later. Its like a switch flipped overnight from having to scour for appointments to desperate attempts by providers to get people out.
I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and they had signs and announcements pushing shots, and they offered a choice of Moderna or J&J. CVS had a lady outside a store swinging a sign to walk in now kind of like tax places do.
Our pace has certainly slowed down but still ticking up. I think we're around 68% of eligible people getting one shot so far, hopefully we can get higher because I feel as though they may make it mandatory for kids if things persist.
We've reached the point where all but a handful of states have at least some sites that allow walk-ins with no appointment required. That is not by itself evidence of a sall, but it is, I think, a necessary prerequisite.

Right now about 55% of the adult population has gotten at least one shot - that's only 15% below the target 70% for July 4, in 60 days. To get to 70%, another 38.3 million adults need to be vaccinated, or about 640,000 per day. Right now, we are at 2.19 million/day for the 7-day average. That's falling - from 3.38 million on April 14 - but it's still much above the necessary threshold.

Those figures only cover 16 years old and above. Vaccines should become available for 12-15 year olds by next week. The eldest of the young Gothams will soon be getting a shot.

The new ease to get a shot is certainly in part due to lower demand, but increased supply probably remains a substantial factor.

Right now about 55% of the adult population has gotten at least one shot - that's only 15% below the target 70% for July 4, in 60 days. To get to 70%, another 38.3 million adults need to be vaccinated, or about 640,000 per day. Right now, we are at 2.19 million/day for the 7-day average. That's falling - from 3.38 million on April 14 - but it's still much above the necessary threshold.

Those figures only cover 16 years old and above. Vaccines should become available for 12-15 year olds by next week. The eldest of the young Gothams will soon be getting a shot.

The new ease to get a shot is certainly in part due to lower demand, but increased supply probably remains a substantial factor.

We need 640k first doses per day, the 2.19m is total doses. I haven't been able to find a good average of first doses anywhere. In MA, its been about 1/3 first doses over the last week. If that rate holds true nationally* then we are not much above that 640k rate, but I don't have any easy to find number. I suspect first doses are small considering the swift drop in the overall rate can only indicate either fewer first doses, or widespread skipping of the second dose.

*it might not. MA hit approximately 70% of adults today (a little lower when you include 16+, but I can't find a MA estimate of 16+ population to do the math) which is nearly the highest in the country. I'm not sure if the lagging states like Alabama and Mississippi are seeing declining first doses at the same rate as MA.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Just get the damn vaccine!

EDIT: The thread really should be titled this...

Um... no, I won’t. Not yet. But thanks for trying to bully me into a medical choice.

I think you took his post, which wasn't directed at anybody, a bit too literal.

Oh i didn’t really take it personally, but i did take it literally (that he wants everyone to just get vaccinated). And I was making a point there are people making informed medical decisions and just because the majority of this forum is gung-ho about getting vaccinated (and i support anyone’s personal choice), you can’t tell people to “just get the damn vaccine!” It’s not that simple, nor should you be pushing medical choices on others.

Oh i didn’t really take it personally, but i did take it literally (that he wants everyone to just get vaccinated). And I was making a point there are people making informed medical decisions and just because the majority of this forum is gung-ho about getting vaccinated (and i support anyone’s personal choice), you can’t tell people to “just get the damn vaccine!” It’s not that simple, nor should you be pushing medical choices on others.
Freedom is the ability to make your own decisions, not the ability shut down other people from criticizing your decisions. Get the damn vaccine ;)

Reactions: ZYanksRule