Away - Red Bulls 08/09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to start playing D. Every time we give the ball away I expect us to give up a goal since our back line is never in position. Angelino and Iraola need to stay home this game. Play defense. Beat NY through our midfield.
If we are playing mix Lampard and Pirlo with Poku there's no reason we can't get one in at least. Play conservative and at least for a draw.

Or we go with 3 CBs and let Angelino/Iraola attack at will. Our defense sucks, AJ's supporters claim that we need him for D support but clearly based on the results he's not providing much. Pirlo can play deep like last game but have defensive support behind him. Mena and Facey both have the speed we need to track BWP. If it's between a 3rd CB or telling Angelino he needs to stay home I'm going with a 3rd CB.

------------Villa------------------
---------------Poku/TMac------
-----Lampard-------Mix--------
--------------Pirlo----------------
Angelino------------------Iraola
---Mena-Hernandez-Facey---

AJ's supporters are clearly delusional. The guy is completely useless and overrated. Give that spot to someone who gives us something going forward...not a red card waiting to happen.

I love Angelino and Iraola has just been eh for me....but before they came in our issue was defense. Wingert, Jeb, RJ were weak guarding the wings. We sign Iraola, bring in Angelino and thought a big weakness was addressed. Yet, they don't play defense. Angelino gets caught up top a lot, but seems to recover. He's 18 and learning, I can deal with that. He's playing his ass off. Iraola looks like he wants nothing to do with defense. He continually lets plays go by him. Maybe he thought this was a fluff league..yeah MLS doesn't have the big talent and tactical level as the big leagues, but what it does have is speed and athleticism. He's failing to be the guy we needed. I hope he changes my opinion cause I like him as a player. I've said 3-5-2 early on, but we didn't have the CB's. Haven't seen many MLS teams play 3 backs...though Orlando played a 3-4-3 against us..which is too offensive IMO and exposed their defense. Do we put Mena, Facey, Hernandez in a 3 back line? And put Angelino/Iraola as a LM/RM? Might as well cause that's what they're playing anyway. Our CB's aren't great but they are getting killed. AJ won't stay back and I don't need Pirlo running around playing defense. Maybe that's the ticket. Worked for Juve with Lichsteiner and Asamoah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gavin23 and Paul
Truly think if we somehow win the Derby in the swamp we start a run where our last game of the regular season will be a meaningful one. Lose any points in the swamp and it will take a miracle. This Impact setback was a crushing blow. Let's all pray that we do not see a cry inducing starting line up sheet again, and we win a bunch of games 5-4.

The problem is, we win the game then next game JK gets cute. It's hard to make a run when the line up consistently changes. It's not just about personnel...changes effect flow, tactics, continuity, chemistry, etc.

I think we win this game despite our issues. It's what happens the next following weeks with JK's line up that is the bigger issue.

Reactions: The Toe and JayH
Game 1: NYCFC (Away) wore Black, RBNY wore White/Red
Game 2: NYCFC (Home) wore Blue, RBNY wore Dark Blue
Game 3: ???

If Jason Kreis starts Ned on Sunday, I hope that everyone boos him when he is announced during the lineup.

I will boo Grabavoy when he is inevitably announced on Saturday.

Who Jason will start:

------------villa---------
grabavoy-----mix--------Baluchy
--------Jacobson----pirlo--------
Angelino--facey---Hernandez---Ireola

Who he should start:

-----------villa---------poku----------
------------------lamps---------------
----ttmac--------------------mix-------
----------------pirlo---------------------
Angelino---facey---Hernandez----Ireola

Fixed, cause in obviously pulled a Jason and only started 9

Last edited:
Reactions: Gavin23 and Kubah
Who Jason will start:

Who he should start:

I'm assuming you meant to have Pirlo in there on who he should start ...

With that adjustment I agree with your desired lineup. Unfortunately I also agree with your likely JK lineup.

Who Jason will start:

Who he should start:

Actually prefer the formation that Kreis will start. At least it has 10 field players.

;)
Can't get anything past you. I knew that seemed too easy.

Ok.

Villa
---Poku
Lampard
Mix---TMac
Pirlo
Back 4

Our best offensive unit. I think 9-6 is a reasonable expectation for score line.

Our best offensive unit??

Dude our problem is defense and your gonna leave pirlo aline in front of two center backs still learning each other.

We need to play this smart on Sunday or get blown out and have to listen to drunk jersey boys all night.

Our best offensive unit??

Dude our problem is defense and your gonna leave pirlo aline in front of two center backs still learning each other.

We need to play this smart on Sunday or get blown out and have to listen to drunk jersey boys all night.
Pirlo lacks the ability to play defense? Is that what you're insinuating?

Reactions: Gavin23
All I could think about Saturday as Montreal punted their way to two easy goals was that BWP is going to destroy this team. I think NYC will need 4+ to win, which seems highly unlikely.
Red Bulls still have their fair share of scoring problems. They were sloppy defensively in Philly for most of the game and didn't generate a ton of chances.

For the Red Bulls the X factors will be Shaun Wright Phillips (who was picking apart the Union defense on Saturday) and Grelladinho, who was forced off early at RBA during the mother's day game because of Miazga's double yellow/red card. Kljestan is also much improved since the start of the year.

For NYCFC I'd say David Villa and Mix have to have impact games. Both of these guys sucked the first two 'derbies' (especially the first). Lampard -- not sure what you're going to get out of him. Pirlo also would need to find his way on the score sheet by way of assist or goal.

I don't think you need to score 4 to get a result, but RBA will be electric on Sunday and NYCFC's midfield/defense lacks cohesion. There are going to be guys for NYCFC that will make mistakes -- that means the big names (like Villa and Mix) need to step it up even more to compensate.

I am SOOOO pissed. I just found out I can make this weekends game, so I called to buy tickets- and RB has jacked up the price from $30 to $66. What a bunch of thieving price gougers! Cute little act to cut our allocation and then rob anybody buying tickets blind. I hope to God our FO cuts back their tickets allotment next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.