mgarbowski

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 16, 2014
Queens, NY
mgarbowski.com
Pretty simple. The nominees are defined by MLS regulation and contract status.
Let's do it with a run-off.
First Round - vote for any 3. The top 3 vote getters go into the run off with 1 winner. If there is a time for third everyone tied goes into the runoff. We're not getting fancy with tiebreakers.
We'll start keeping the voting open 4 days but I have all-powerful discretion to extend if votes are still coming in.

Last edited:
Did the poll get deleted when the thread was moved? LionNYC LionNYC ?

I can easily just start it over. I didn't see any votes but mine before it ghosted.
Yes, when moving this "node" I forgot to click the allow polls option. I've clicked it now, so you can re-create. Sorry all for having to re-vote.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I think lampard, for all the shit we give for lampardgate, was actually one of the best dp's we have had.

Going through this list trying to find a 3rd player for the top 3

No Way Penguin GIF by Pudgy Penguins

I think lampard, for all the shit we give for lampardgate, was actually one of the best dp's we have had.

Production per min Lampard has to up there with 15 goals in 29 appearances. I considered him as my 3rd but in the end most of those goals were pretty meaningless.

I struggled to find a 3rd and was shocked with my conclusion. Putting heavy weight on meaningful contributions I ended up narrowing it down to the players that helped win the cup. Santi wasn't a DP at the time so I eliminated him and was left with Magno or Medina. I gave the edge to Magno as he scored one of the 4 pens that won the cup and scored the winning goal in the ECF against Philly. It's hard to admit after how rough this year was but combining those key goals with his high output prior to Taty leaving and I honestly think Magno is our 3rd best DP of all time.

Reactions: Shwafta
Just gonna come out and say it, from a pure statistical analysis Pirlo was probably our worst DP. But for an enjoyment factor he was absolutely so fun to watch. I loved watching him ping balls to Villa and others. I remember when he spun out of pressure in one of his first possessions with the club and the anticipation for him was still high. Sooo for that reason he’s my third DP. His one and only goal with the club when Villa and Lampard had already scored making a DP hat trick was one of my favorite memories from the early years

Just gonna come out and say it, from a pure statistical analysis Pirlo was probably our worst DP. But for an enjoyment factor he was absolutely so fun to watch. I loved watching him ping balls to Villa and others. I remember when he spun out of pressure in one of his first possessions with the club and the anticipation for him was still high. Sooo for that reason he’s my third DP. His one and only goal with the club when Villa and Lampard had already scored making a DP hat trick was one of my favorite memories from the early years
People forget that he was actually pretty good his first season or season-and-a-half. He joined halfway through 2015 and from then through most, if not all, of 2016, he contributed a fair amount - not as good as he could have been or should have been, but definitely very good. 2017 was a total bust. It's interesting that the big sticking point in the negotiations was whether we were going to sign him for 1.5 years or 2.5 years.

And yes, he could be a lot of fun to watch.

Reactions: Schwallacus
People forget that he was actually pretty good his first season or season-and-a-half. He joined halfway through 2015 and from then through most, if not all, of 2016, he contributed a fair amount - not as good as he could have been or should have been, but definitely very good. 2017 was a total bust. It's interesting that the big sticking point in the negotiations was whether we were going to sign him for 1.5 years or 2.5 years.

CFG and Lampard effectively destroyed 2 DP years for NYCFC with their fraudulent stunt. Frank was supposed to be here 2 years, showed up late, got hurt during the delay, and only played 29 games. That's one year wasted.
Then the org and team were pressured to get another name and Pirlo used that to squeeze them for a 2.5 year contract they knew they should not give him. He was garbage his last year. That's two DP slot years wasted thanks to Frank.

Anyways, I voted for Medina as my third choice. Kid showed up, didn't whine when Domé benched him in 2019, was ready when Ronnie revived his career in 2020, and worked very hard to help win a cup in 2021. It's sad that nobody has a better claim to third best DP in team history, but I don't think anyone has done more for the team.

I agree Pirlo's early time with us was better than most give him credit for. Even at the end, it was always exciting to watch him because every game you knew he would do a few incredible things no other player on the pitch could do. I enjoyed watching Pirlo except for the free kicks near the box, those were consistently awful and should have gone back to Villa who had shown he could score from those spots.

Reactions: JCMore
Villa was unstoppable for his first few years in the league. With a better cast around him at the start, he could have broken scoring records.

Reactions: JCMore