Cincinnati (Away) - Postmatch

For all those pundits wondering "Where are NYCFC gonna get their goals from in 2019?"
...We have the 3rd most goals in the league (45- behind LAFC and Philly) with three games in hand on philly and two games in hand on ATL after tmrw. We're doing amazing on goals for!
...Goals against we are 3rd stingiest at 32 (behind LAFC and ATL), but with games in hand that might increase.

I gotta say we're doing much better than last season

Taty and Heber producing basically made up for VIlla leaving. Our defense basically stayed the same and actually improved with the addition of Sands. Now that we don't have him anymore, we're basically back to how we were last season.

Just watched Dome's post match conf... he said Anton is very tired. That would explain why he wasn't really performing even when he did play last game. I would be ok with resting him again vs CLB so we have him fresh and ready to play vs NJ. I worry Miller will get burned some more but that's just what we have to deal with ... He also said Callens probably could have played but they did not want to risk it. He is likely available for CLB, but it'll be a game day decision. He further mentioned Parks is having ankle discomfort but he doesn't think it's serious enough to leave him out of the 18..

As a whole, he was happier than last game cause we at least tried to play short... but didn't think we are at our potential noting that the USOC vs DC was our best game.

What a strange game, felt much closer than the 4-1 score. I think shots and shots on goal were about even, and for large stretches it felt like Cincy was carrying play (or at least was more dangerous playing direct vs nycfc’s sloppy possession). Guess this makes up for a game like Houston when NYCFC dominated but the score was close.

For most of the game the back line was Chanot, sweat, Miller and Mata. Yikes. Give Chanot a high five.

Keaton Parks should be first choice on the team sheet. He is everywhere.

Taty has been great. He had a full preseason to prepare and he's worked hard. You can tell that he works hard every game even when other people aren't *cough* mitri *cough*. He's got speed, a great shot, good in the air, and obviously, great work ethic and he's only 20. I hope he stays with us a long time but I'm sure if he continues to perform, we're gonna end up selling him to europe. Taty's biggest flaw is his flopping. If he were stronger on the ball and smarter about when to go down easily and when to stay strong and play through, he'd be even better.

The thing with mitri isn't his lack of talent. We can all see he has talent. His biggest negative is his lack of effort and indifference to what's happening. When's the last time you saw Mitri track back to win back a ball? When's the last time you saw Mitri try to win back a ball HE lost with a poor pass or dribble? When was the last time you saw him even go in for a 50/50 ball? This game I saw him back off at least three times. If it were obvious he was putting his all into every minute of every game he plays, I don't think anyone would really be complaining about him because we'd all at least see, he's putting in the work, he's just unlucky. But he doesn't even try and that is a damn shame and a waste of talent.

With Mitri, it's all about attitude and his is just piss poor. He didn't even celebrate with taty and heber when they scored (that I could see from the crappy FCC cameras). How does he expect to build chemistry with them? You can tell they all try to play with him but it just doesn't click. Something is missing and since no one else is really having problems clicking with each other, it would seem that Mitri is the problem. He is surrounded by americans, south americans, and viking... Maybe just doesn't feel like he belongs?

Unfortunately, this isn’t just an NYCFC problem. There were similar issues with his NT. Makes me wonder if the CFG scouting department does background checks on personalities or just watches tape.

I don't think I've ever seen us struggle so much on turf, and we have had some really bad games. Maxi in particular, and he still had an assist and a secondary assist.

It's a tough game to evaluate with regard to projecting our future with that in mind. It was scrappy, but it seemed like we were intent on playing a short game that we weren't able to execute due to minute but frequent technical errors caused by the surface. Also against a very bad team. I wanna say it was a positive development but there was a lot of noise.

I'm ready to see GMS replace Mitri in our first choice 11. I did enjoy seeing him pushed to play wide right tho. It somewhat curbed his instinct to cut in from the left and dribble into traffic. It could be a good thing for him to be forced to adapt and broaden his playing style.

Shape-wise, I thought I saw a 4-3-3 with Ring deep as a 6 but it could have been a 3-4-3 with Ring particularly adventurous as the middle of our 3 CBs. And very cautious wingbacks. Would have to rewatch as I was slightly sloshed.

I tend to have a longer leash, but I'm not ready to give up on Mitri yet. Transfer fee is a sunk cost, and Mitri is not our least talented DP. He just needs to find his role and ride the confidence that comes with that. Maybe next year that's as the fourth option and late game sub behind a front three of Heber, Mertens, and Taty. Is it an inefficient use of a DP spot? Yes. Can he win games for us from that role? Also yes.

Shape-wise, I thought I saw a 4-3-3 with Ring deep as a 6 but it could have been a 3-4-3 with Ring particularly adventurous as the middle of our 3 CBs. And very cautious wingbacks.

It's true. Our wingbacks were pretty much non-existent. Mata had some runs and crosses but miller didn't attack much and still got burned...

I tend to have a longer leash, but I'm not ready to give up on Mitri yet. Transfer fee is a sunk cost, and Mitri is not our least talented DP. He just needs to find his role and ride the confidence that comes with that. Maybe next year that's as the fourth option and late game sub behind a front three of Heber, Mertens, and Taty. Is it an inefficient use of a DP spot? Yes. Can he win games for us from that role? Also yes.
The role you’re speaking of is no different than how we’ve used (been forced to because of chronic injury-recovery or lack of skill) our third DP for pretty much ever, and it’s been a huge waste. If a DP isn’t starting and producing on a regular basis, then they’re not worth the roster spot or cap space.

It's true. Our wingbacks were pretty much non-existent. Mata had some runs and crosses but miller didn't attack much and still got burned...

Is that a result of changing to a 433 or Miller not having the skill to play a proper WB?

Is that a result of changing to a 433 or Miller not having the skill to play a proper WB?

I would say Miller's inability to play as a proper wing back. Even in a 4-3-3, I think Dome still wants the wing backs to overlap, essentially creating a 3-4-3 on attack, giving us numbers in midfield. MIller just doesn't seem that comfortable going forward, which isn't a terrible thing as a backup right back. It's just that he's not super solid on D either.

The role you’re speaking of is no different than how we’ve used (been forced to because of chronic injury-recovery or lack of skill) our third DP for pretty much ever, and it’s been a huge waste. If a DP isn’t starting and producing on a regular basis, then they’re not worth the roster spot or cap space.

Geez then last year you would is said barco was a waste as he was a sub and was not killing it like he was supposed to. Even him it took him a season to get it down and start performing

Geez then last year you would is said barco was a waste as he was a sub and was not killing it like he was supposed to. Even him it took him a season to get it down and start performing
Barco came with pedigree that the other two don’t have - playing MNT ball for Romania is a couple rungs down from Argentina and Medina had no pedigree.

Even with that, I’d have cut Barco immediately for his immaturity and issues concerning his teammate. That same issue is a large part of why he didn’t play much last year.

Further, Barco was contributing but not scoring. Mitri barely contributes- he doesn’t track on D, he’s selfish, and it petulant when not involved.

So it’s not apples to oranges like you’re reaching for.

If we're able to have Mertens, Heber and Taty with Maxi in a CAM role, we might actually get people to stop cancelling their STs.

If we're able to have Mertens, Heber and Taty with Maxi in a CAM role, we might actually get people to stop cancelling their STs.

Maxi won't be around next year... his contract is up after this season and word is he's looking to go back to argentina... i'd love it if he signed for another season, but i don't think it's going to happen.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Maxi won't be around next year... his contract is up after this season and word is he's looking to go back to argentina... i'd love it if he signed for another season, but i don't think it's going to happen.
Argentina has consistently been on the brink of collapse but especially this fall/winter when Maxi is out of contract, I can assure you that Argentina will not be a desirable destination for a player who can earn $1m+ in the United States. In fact, if we can dump Mitri and Medina, we should just focus on Argentina for two more DP's! It's going to be easy pickings.

Reactions: The Toe
Argentina has consistently been on the brink of collapse but especially this fall/winter when Maxi is out of contract, I can assure you that Argentina will not be a desirable destination for a player who can earn $1m+ in the United States. In fact, if we can dump Mitri and Medina, we should just focus on Argentina for two more DP's! It's going to be easy pickings.
the flip side is Maxi could return home with a bank account of a few million (who knows how frugal he's been?) and live like dynastic royalty, starting/buying businesses that would set him up for life even if the economy recovers.