Claudio Reyna Departs NYCFC; David Lee Promoted to Sporting Director

I don’t care where decisions are made. I care if they are made for our benefit or CFG/Man City. And I’m to believe that Claudio stayed 5 years after getting Lampard withheld, and 4.5 after being forced fed Pirlo (wanted by neither he nor his coach), then suddenly can’t accept his lack of independence because what, exactly that’s new or different or even half as bad as either of those?
And why does Lee, who is British but not a CFG guy (we hired him from the Red Bulls) and has a stellar MLS resumé, stay if his position is an irrelevancy?
Because sporting director is nominally a promotion for him and he can't get recruited to SD anywhere else? Because being able to get 2nd in the league performance out of a mid table budget is intellectually interesting and good for his resume?

There's something about this situation that feels like it throws the former player vs technocrat dichotomy into sharp relief, something about running a football club like a business vs the more aspirational, nostalgic idea of building a winning team. But that feels reactionary and I don't think we know enough for me to substantiate that kind of perspective right now.

And that's before you even get to questions about which approach is better.

Because sporting director is nominally a promotion for him and he can't get recruited to SD anywhere else? Because being able to get 2nd in the league performance out of a mid table budget is intellectually interesting and good for his resume?

There's something about this situation that feels like it throws the former player vs technocrat dichotomy into sharp relief, something about running a football club like a business vs the more aspirational, nostalgic idea of building a winning team. But that feels reactionary and I don't think we know enough for me to substantiate that kind of perspective right now.

And that's before you even get to questions about which approach is better.
Exactly. Lee is in the perfect position: if the club does well he can take full credit in an interview by being the de facto SD/GM, but if things go sideways, he’s in the perfect position to tell the future employer that CFG was calling the shots and he was still responsible for the Cap, with added ammo of mentioning Reyna bolting because of the org change. It’s a win/win for him with a raise and title.

I would say that's what "being run out of Manchester" means. The implication there is that the people in the CFG/MCFC front office building may not make decisions purely for the benefit of NYCFC, or even be measured and judged on the same things we or a local group might care about.
Yet it was when Reyna was in charge that the Lampard/Pirlo fiascos were imposed on us. Deciding we are a dumpster fire coming off a 64 point season and somehow worse off than back then because an anonymous internet poster cites an anonymous FO person making vague charges* puts indirect evidence over actual events. Might it be worse to have Manchester folks in charge? Absolutely. But let's wait until we see something like a reply of 2014-15 and not even being in charge of our DP selections to decide it's true. Like maybe if they foist Claudio Bravo on us. That would get my attention. I'm also waiting to see who the coach is. Folks might remember that a couple of days before Torrent was announced there was a very strong rumor that a CFG guy named Borrell was going to replace Vieira. Some folks liked it but I hated it because he had to that point only been a development coach and I hated the idea that we would have 2x in a row been assigned a dev coach instead of someone with coach-to-win experience. Torrent had at least been a HC for teams in competition and an AC competing at the very highest levels. If Torrent's replacement is in the Borrell mold I again will be down on the team because I think it would show that CFG is treating us as a hybrid dev/first team and I want no part of that. But that's what I mean. I judge based on the moves, not vage unsourced smoke about a lack of independence.

* Hey K Kjbert - can your source put any meat on those bones? Did Claudio not want to sell Scally? Did he not want Mitri or Heber, or what? Or going the other way, can we maybe get a name of a player Domé or Claudio wanted that Manchester vetoed? Right now all I see is vague shit from Torrent with zero details and more vague shit from "anonymous" that the people in NY can't do what they want yet there's not a single example offered by anyone and we just had our best roster and it's hard for me to GAF.

Yet it was when Reyna was in charge that the Lampard/Pirlo fiascos were imposed on us. Deciding we are a dumpster fire coming off a 64 point season and somehow worse off than back then because an anonymous internet poster cites an anonymous FO person making vague charges* puts indirect evidence over actual events. Might it be worse to have Manchester folks in charge? Absolutely. But let's wait until we see something like a reply of 2014-15 and not even being in charge of our DP selections to decide it's true. Like maybe if they foist Claudio Bravo on us. That would get my attention. I'm also waiting to see who the coach is. Folks might remember that a couple of days before Torrent was announced there was a very strong rumor that a CFG guy named Borrell was going to replace Vieira. Some folks liked it but I hated it because he had to that point only been a development coach and I hated the idea that we would have 2x in a row been assigned a dev coach instead of someone with coach-to-win experience. Torrent had at least been a HC for teams in competition and an AC competing at the very highest levels. If Torrent's replacement is in the Borrell mold I again will be down on the team because I think it would show that CFG is treating us as a hybrid dev/first team and I want no part of that. But that's what I mean. I judge based on the moves, not vage unsourced smoke about a lack of independence.

* Hey K Kjbert - can your source put any meat on those bones? Did Claudio not want to sell Scally? Did he not want Mitri or Heber, or what? Or going the other way, can we maybe get a name of a player Domé or Claudio wanted that Manchester vetoed? Right now all I see is vague shit from Torrent with zero details and more vague shit from "anonymous" that the people in NY can't do what they want yet there's not a single example offered by anyone and we just had our best roster and it's hard for me to GAF.
Maybe it was Reyna who sold Scally as a gesture to help him like he did his son. That was one of the few transactions that reyna actually spoke about and how it was good for the player. A good chance CFG wasn’t fully onboard with it after the fact, just like Gio, but Claudio did it anyway since he knew he was leaving.

No idea, but it can be viewed from both sides.

And addressing your earlier point, as to nobody else jumping ship at the same time, they probably didn’t know Dome/Reyna were leaving since most people don’t tell a sole when job hunting, so when the news broke it’s not like everybody else packs up in solidarity, especially since soccer jobs are niche and hard to come by. It’s like with any company that has disgruntled employees, people leap when they have a landing spot and not before.

Reactions: adam
This club is now run out of Manchester. There’s no use having a sporting director anymore.
Are you saying that there has been some sudden or recent change in philosophy by CFG or in the manner decisions will be executed? That’s what your use of “now” and “anymore” suggests but I am just interpreting what you wrote. If that is what you meant, can you give some more flavor as to your basis?

Reactions: Christopher Jee

Forgive me if we've already gone over all of this and decided that it's irrelevant - we live in a time of fractured attention.

It's funny that Ulrich Ulrich mentioned my name in association with Occam's Razor style arguments because I feel like I'm pretty skeptical of pseudo-objective measurements like "simplicity". I think it's one of many tools. It may be simplicity is our sub-rational, pattern-matching brains finding threads that connect various points of data and giving them the label of "simplicity" as post-justification.

Whatever it is, I think in this case:

Dome complained about our salary spending and he has left. He complained about how long it took for us to get a striker. How much his resentment of their grooming a replacement played into his decision is difficult to say but the fact that he complained often about MLS yet is still content to continue working here says a lot about his estimation of the club.

The idea that mid table salary spending might have played into Claudio's decision to leave is also very plausible. The parts of the Win! documentary that showed him angrily and resignedly at odds with the message coming from the mothership lend further weight to this idea.

We've already talked about the reasons why Lee might want to stay that don't conflict with the idea that CFG is putting less than their all behind NYCFC.

I'm curious what sort of evidence would be dispositive when it comes to the question of whether we are "being run out of Manchester". I'm not even sure if that's the criteria I'm interested in.

If we were being run out of Manchester but I felt that we were being run to win and give this city what it deserves, I think I'd be OK with it. But I don't think the reasoning I laid out above leads me to that conclusion.

I've sensed that our club is a means to the ends of a broader strategy for a long time. But I'm no longer sure that that's concordant with the idea of doing this city proud.

Lee has always been the Cap guy on the team - that’s been known for a long time, at least the last two years because I recognized him at the free training visit when I went back in early 2018 and knew his role then - CFG will always need a Cap person on the team whether NY or Manchester is making the decisions. And it’s much easier to keep the same guy on board who’s made past/future trades of GAM/TAM than it is to find a CFG analyst to pick up where he left off. Lee gets a new title and pay bump and he’s the face of the position that never makes press releases. Not sure what hard to believe about that? A quick look at his LinkedIn and his experience definitely does not scream ready to be a SD/GM - his elevation reminds me of the character Carter in the movie, In Good Company.

I trust K Kjbert and his information that something has recently changed in the org to drive a wedge between Reyna staying/wanting to leave that is directly tied to his authority and decision making (or removal of).

What the point of being the GM if the real GM is a part timer living in East Manchester now?

Reactions: adam
Are you saying that there has been some sudden or recent change in philosophy by CFG or in the manner decisions will be executed? That’s what your use of “now” and “anymore” suggests but I am just interpreting what you wrote. If that is what you meant, can you give some more flavor as to your basis?

There was a gradual shift of duties away from New York. All scouting? Gone. All player negotiations? Gone. Final say on the roster? Gone.

There was a gradual shift of duties away from New York. All scouting? Gone. All player negotiations? Gone. Final say on the roster? Gone.
I thought most of this was primarily the case from commencement. And even if so, I could understand how someone like CR could tire of this over time and/or seek an opportunity with more autonomy, etc.

Amongst a number of personal reservations I have, the outward concerns we should all have would be 1) direction of the academy and 2) the lack of diversity of voice in the front office. I’ve spent ten minutes trying to put #2 into better words. I hope that’s properly been conveyed.

Am I supposed to be outraged by this when the team finished second in the league during the regular season? Whatever they're doing, it's working. We're one of the best teams on the field in MLS.

Amongst a number of personal reservations I have, the outward concerns we should all have would be 1) direction of the academy and 2) the lack of diversity of voice in the front office. I’ve spent ten minutes trying to put #2 into better words. I hope that’s properly been conveyed.

So Reyna didn’t t want to be a “yes” man and now he’s in Austin.? The academy is something that I thought was reynas doing and is a concern. The question is if I trust CFG with it like say RB trusts their own academy with owners and direction coming in from Europe.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Am I supposed to be outraged by this when the team finished second in the league during the regular season? Whatever they're doing, it's working. We're one of the best teams on the field in MLS.

It’s possible what I laid out above isn’t a bad thing.

The concern would be that decisions are being made on a part time basis by people who view you as a secondary or tertiary concern if theirs

So Reyna didn’t t want to be a “yes” man and now he’s in Austin.? The academy is something that I thought was reynas doing and is a concern. The question is if I trust CFG with it like say RB trusts their own academy with owners and direction coming in from Europe.

The club thinks exceptionally high of Mehdi Ballouchy. I know they’ve brought in some youth directors of late but Mehdi has been the one to get singled out by our local front office. My worry is that it was less his doing than they’ve told us. Or maybe it’s that he’s a decent coach but not a decent organizer of the youth setup.

It’s possible what I laid out above isn’t a bad thing.

The concern would be that decisions are being made on a part time basis by people who view you as a secondary or tertiary concern if theirs

That is a valid concern. I'm just positing that if the team is winning, I'm OK with the decision-making process. Unless they're just coasting on success of past decision-makers.

The club thinks exceptionally high of Mehdi Ballouchy. I know they’ve brought in some youth directors of late but Mehdi has been the one to get singled out by our local front office. My worry is that it was less his doing than they’ve told us. Or maybe it’s that he’s a decent coach but not a decent organizer of the youth setup.
Your use of pronouns is vague. Are you referring to Medhi or Reyna in the last two sentences?

That is a valid concern. I'm just positing that if the team is winning, I'm OK with the decision-making process. Unless they're just coasting on success of past decision-makers.

I think if this was the only scenario where control was lost entirely to Manchester, this is less of a concern. Unfortunately, there is a pattern here.