Concacaf Champions League

lawson

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 28, 2014
Kenilworth, NJ
For all my more clued up MLS'ers

How is this competition viewed by most? Is it worth being involved in or is it more of a hindrance? How are attendances for these games usually and am I right in thinking that the winners qualify for the World Club Championship? Are we hoping for NYCFC to become a major player in this competition?

I get it, silverware is silverware and we want the team to give a good account of themselves on all fronts but I am just curious and comparing it to how teams across the world view competitions such as the Capital One Cup, Copa Del Ray and even the Europa League in some cases.

I also get I could have googled most of the information but we need some dicsussion to pass the time on a Friday afternoon :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but MLS gets involved in the CCL about the time their spring training (for lack of a better phrase) begins while teams from Mexico are already well into their season.

Seems to me to be a competition MLS enters with one arm tied behind their backs.

That's more of MLS not helping itself though as it is the only league I know of in the world that doesn't follow 'FIFA's' traditional calendar.

That's more of MLS not helping itself though as it is the only league I know of in the world that doesn't follow 'FIFA's' traditional calendar.

This is a quick map I threw together with MLS team locations and avg. annual snowfall overlaid. MLS doesn't really have a choice there, it's either play during the summer or leave 2/3 of the teams with sub-prime playing conditions for the most important part of the season.

P4MDNLI.jpg

Not saying MLS are in the wrong here at all, there's tons of reasons the current calendar works best here.

More interested in the original topic :)

You don't know too many league's than.

As far as the tournament, I hate it and could care less. Who cares if we can or can't beat the Liga MX teams? If we got invited to participate in the UEFA champions league and got the opportunity to compete with the best clubs in the world, then Hell yes i'd say go all out. As it stands, it's just something that takes away from the league and as has been shown by attendance and TV ratings, nobody outside of a portion of the core fans care about it.

How do you qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League?
For MLS it has been in flux over the last few years. As of right now, I believe MLS (US clubs only) get 4 spots. MLS CUP winner and Runner Up. Supporter's shield and US Open Cup winner. The Canadian MLS clubs can only qualify through some type of Canadian championship.

From the USA:
--U.S. Open Cup winner.
--MLS Champion.
--MLS Supporters Shield.
--MLS team with best record from opposite conference of Supporters Shield winner. Since NYRB won the shield, whoever had the best record from the west.

From Canada I believe it's whoever wins their National Cup competition.......Voyagers Cup?

I'm not sure how teams from other countries qualify.

Reactions: Vito
For MLS it has been in flux over the last few years. As of right now, I believe MLS (US clubs only) get 4 spots. MLS CUP winner and Runner Up. Supporter's shield and US Open Cup winner. The Canadian MLS clubs can only qualify through some type of Canadian championship.
From the USA:
--U.S. Open Cup winner.
--MLS Champion.
--MLS Supporters Shield.
--MLS team with best record from opposite conference of Supporters Shield winner. Since NYRB won the shield, whoever had the best record from the west.

From Canada I believe it's whoever wins their National Cup competition.......Voyagers Cup?

I'm not sure how teams from other countries qualify.
Yeah it changed last year, after SKC beat RSL in the MLS Cup, they announced that instead of the MLS Cup runner-up, it went to the Conference Champs. Pretty weak if you ask me.

And most MLS fans don't care unless their team advances pretty fair or play a quality side.

SKC looked pretty good last night and fielded their full squad for the game. I am glad they are moving to the Western conference next year, they will be a good out of conference team to follow. We may get one of their keepers, too from the expansion draft.

Did you notice the 1/3 full SKC stadium too?

MLS teams usually do well at home, they fall apart on away trips.

I did, I was surprised, I figured there would be more fans for a decent match up. I wonder if they need to change pricing for non MLS games or something.

Another gripe with MLS is the lack of nationally televised big games. LA SEA and SEA PORT etc should be available nationally more often.

I did, I was surprised, I figured there would be more fans for a decent match up. I wonder if they need to change pricing for non MLS games or something.

Another gripe with MLS is the lack of nationally televised big games. LA SEA and SEA PORT etc should be available nationally more often.

No those are usually pretty cheap. It's just a lack of interest. MLS has trouble with all midweek games, even MLS ones. A tournament that isn't televised here against awful opponents (both in quality and draw) are a real bad combo for all but the diehards.

I agree. Seems like in the beginning of the season they had quite a few games on nationally and for whatever reason that seemed to stop.

Anyway, it looks as if there are going to be 4 games on this weekend (3 = NBCSC and 1 = Unimas)

Tonight is RSL v Colorado (those boys are going to have to go balls out tonight to match the excitement of last weeks RSL-Seattle game). Tomorrow afternoon its Vancouver v Portland. Tomorrow night it's RBNY v Seattle and Sunday it's Toronto v Chivas.

No those are usually pretty cheap. It's just a lack of interest. MLS has trouble with all midweek games, even MLS ones. A tournament that isn't televised here against awful opponents (both in quality and draw) are a real bad combo for all but the diehards.
I disagree. Seattle, RSL, Portland usually do well on midweek games. Maybe these other clubs aren't as soccer town USA as they think.