Contending in 2018

How to contend in 2018 - utilize our 3 DP spots to their potential for the first time in club history.

So, so true. A great featured writing piece for NYCFC could be that the 2014/2015 expansion process for team building truly ruined the past three years for NYCFC to win MLS Cup.

The four biggest sticking points of those early years...

1. Jason Kreis - A coached who's principals failed due to CFG wanting different DPs.
2. Frank Lampard - A great signing if he were brought in healthy and on time. He was not healthy and came late.
3. Andrea Pirlo - A rash signing to bring fans and media to the club. Production on field was mired.
4. Mix Diskerud - Didn't really fit when Vieira took over. Bought out.

In 2016, Vieira flushed out most of Kreis' signings (Grabavoy, Wingert, etc.)
In 2017, Vieira added the pieces he needed (Ring, Johnson, Callens, etc.)
In 2018, Vieira will have 2/3 DPs that he was involved in signing.

So 2018 is finally the year that NYCFC will be able to have its best roster (please Yangel Herrera stay).

In terms being more "aggressive", we're actually not this year, taking less shots per game...

And we're being more "passive" too, allowing more shots against per game...
Not sure I see the correlation between these stats and us being more passive and less aggressive.

The above shows that we are taking slightly less shots but at a higher quality and allowing more shots at less quality.

I could maybe hear an argument for us taking less shots (even though they are at a higher quality) to being less aggressive. But just because the opposing team is taking more shots (especially at a lower quality), doesn’t mean at all that we are being more passive.

Reactions: adam and mgarbowski
Reactions: adam
we’re taking fewer shots because Villa missed a bunch of matches. Not kidding, factor him out of last year and I bet we’re either dead even or ahead this season.
Was gonna say the same thing when I saw the chart.