Deloitte Pro/Rel Report

Well its not like this is anything particularly new.

The report says what probably everyone suspected, which is that even if its long term viable, that US soccer isn't ready for it now.

Also I'd like to point out that this study was paid for by possibly one of the most rabid advocates of Pro/Rel in the entire US soccer system, the fact that the report only broadly advocates Pro/Rel on a very long term basis is probably the most damning thing that could be said. The reason its so damning is that DT or whoever is actually releasing the report to public neglected to publish the assumptions that they were operating under.

While there are certain lines that reputable consulting firms will not cross, generally the person who commissions the report gets to set the terms of reference/assumptions that the report will be constructed under. Firm's will use these assumptions even if the analysts creating the report don't necessarily agree with them, because hey you're paying us. This of course means that, by in large, a consulting report is going to say what the commissioner of the report wants the report to say.

So yeah, a report that was given its terms of reference and assumptions by a guy who is rabidly advocating for Pro/Rel is probably going to be biased for Pro/Rel. The fact that the report is so tepidly in support of Pro/Rel is very damning to my eyes. What this basically means is that under the most favorable, maybe even unrealistically favorable, conditions Pro/Rel is at best a project initiated in the distant future.

I say this all conditionally, since the assumptions the report was compiled under weren't actually released. So you have no idea why the report came to its conclusions.

Found the assumptions

IMG_4297.PNG

It should also be noted that Silva's company MP Silva lost his exclusive international MLS media rights just prior to throwing money into a fire with Miami FC in what has got to be either a money laundering operation or simply a vindictive attempt to complicate MLS' Miami ambitions.

It should also be noted that Silva's company MP Silva lost his exclusive international MLS media rights just prior to throwing money into a fire with Miami FC in what has got to be either a money laundering operation or simply a vindictive attempt to complicate MLS' Miami ambitions.

traffic?

Reactions: 413Blue
Well its not like this is anything particularly new.

The report says what probably everyone suspected, which is that even if its long term viable, that US soccer isn't ready for it now.

Also I'd like to point out that this study was paid for by possibly one of the most rabid advocates of Pro/Rel in the entire US soccer system, the fact that the report only broadly advocates Pro/Rel on a very long term basis is probably the most damning thing that could be said. The reason its so damning is that DT or whoever is actually releasing the report to public neglected to publish the assumptions that they were operating under.

While there are certain lines that reputable consulting firms will not cross, generally the person who commissions the report gets to set the terms of reference/assumptions that the report will be constructed under. Firm's will use these assumptions even if the analysts creating the report don't necessarily agree with them, because hey you're paying us. This of course means that, by in large, a consulting report is going to say what the commissioner of the report wants the report to say.

So yeah, a report that was given its terms of reference and assumptions by a guy who is rabidly advocating for Pro/Rel is probably going to be biased for Pro/Rel. The fact that the report is so tepidly in support of Pro/Rel is very damning to my eyes. What this basically means is that under the most favorable, maybe even unrealistically favorable, conditions Pro/Rel is at best a project initiated in the distant future.

I say this all conditionally, since the assumptions the report was compiled under weren't actually released. So you have no idea why the report came to its conclusions.

ok i just read it.....keep mentioning "other leagues" in other countries. thats a big assumption that people will watch more and come into the stadiums for relelgation battles. You are assuming that people in the USA are as interested and passionate as those in england and italy where the sport is number 1.....thats not the case here.

are people really going to be glued to TV if Chicago or Houston get relegated? fans of those teams might but not many outside of that and those two teams also struggled with attendance ( at least Chicago was like bottom three). relegation battle may turn off many more out side of the hardcore.

financial fair play type thing? lol no

also another thing is that they say relegation removed "safety net" of single entity? well premier league gives millions of pounds to those teams relegated to try and "come back" to premier league the next year. are they going to want USSF to do same here?

id like to see complete report if it ever get released. as a whole feels meh i felt like i knew this or could of easily assumed it myself. if this is for investors then it depends on how they see this report it may turn off some

This is what every pro/rel debate I see seems to miss out on. Closed leagues are stable. Playing for a megaclub might offer a certain stability, but at the tier below, what makes more sense to a coach or a player? Working for a club that may sell you in 6 months or have relegation clauses in your contract that cut your pay? Or working for "guaranteed" salary for a club in a closed league where you know that if you want to play out your contract and not bounce around, you've got a very fair shot at it. And I say all this as someone who is also a diehard Hull City supporter who was really hoping we'd bring Nikolic in during the summer.

And beyond that, owning a club in an open league encourages speculative and risky behavior, look up what's going on at Hull City if you want a perfect example. Or the story of the Cosmos as many have speculated. Owners that only want to chase the payday of a bigger league can succeed, but many more take that shot and saddle their clubs with bad contracts and debt.

I'm hopeful we can someday look more like the other major leagues and have independent ownership with salary cap/luxury tax for protection, but I don't think we ever need to consider pro/rel.

http://www.espnfc.us/story/3009024/...-hull-city-to-nemanja-nikolic-signing-sources

And beyond that, owning a club in an open league encourages speculative and risky behavior, look up what's going on at Hull City if you want a perfect example. Or the story of the Cosmos as many have speculated. Owners that only want to chase the payday of a bigger league can succeed, but many more take that shot and saddle their clubs with bad contracts and debt.

The flip side of this is that owners in a closed shop league are generally in it for the profit and can be very stingy with their investments in order to safeguard their bottom line, to the detriment of the club itself. Owners in a pro/rel league are often virtually forced into spending every penny they earn, which may have its down sides but it does mean that the team is getting a lot more resources to work with. The quality therefore tends to be higher, if maybe not overwhelmingly so.