Dissolving Chivas

It's not apples to apples

- He was purchased, not on a free
- There is no relationship between Guadalajara and Houston
- This isn' their first season
I realize it's not the exact same scenario, but there are similarities nonetheless. Mainly DP signing that will miss the start of MLS season while on loan to another club. First 2 points make it less reasonable from my perspective

I realize it's not the exact same scenario, but there are similarities nonetheless. Mainly DP signing that will miss the start of MLS season while on loan to another club. First 2 points make it less reasonable from my perspective
Yes but the point that Houston and MLS are telling fans "he might not come until June" is significantly different than lying to fans that a signed player will play for you when in reality he probably won't.

And I don't see Houston calling a press conference to showcase Torres to get the fans all excited about his arrival 6 months from now.

Yes but the point that Houston and MLS are telling fans "he might not come until June" is significantly different than lying to fans that a signed player will play for you when in reality he probably won't.

And I don't see Houston calling a press conference to showcase Torres to get the fans all excited about his arrival 6 months from now.

fair enough, but we haven't been lied to ....yet

Is it even possible that cubo has a good season in Guadalajara and gets called up to copa America mexico squad and has an amazing tournament ( prob won't happen but still for sake of argument) and a euro team wants him and willing to pay Houston/MLS more than they bought him for 9 mill or so, would MLS / Houston not let him go and lose out of cashing in, if they do take the cash then in theory never play a game for them?

Last edited:
The difference is there is no dual loyalties from the owners. Doesn't matter how bad they want to keep him, the idea wouldn't even be entertained without them paying enough to buy three cubos

Is it even possible that cubo has a good season in Guadalajara and gets called up to copa America mexico squad and has an amazing tournament ( prob won't happen but still for sake of argument) and a euro team wants him and willing to pay Houston/MLS more than they bought him for 9 mill or so, would MLS / Houston not let him go and lose out of cashing in, if they do take the cash then in theory never play a game for them?

No. Torres is now an MLS player on loan to Guadalajara. If he wants to go to Europe his contract has to either expire or he has to be bought out of it (i.e. he has to be sold). Guadalajara have no ability to sell on his services now.

No. Torres is now an MLS player on loan to Guadalajara. If he wants to go to Europe his contract has to either expire or he has to be bought out of it (i.e. he has to be sold). Guadalajara have no ability to sell on his services now.
I understand the loan I was just saying that if a euro team came in summer with an amount higher than what they paid for would MLS/Dyanamo let him go or not with possible playing little or no games, in effect screwing houston. Though the feel is the amount has to be extrodinary if MLS were to let him go.

I understand the loan I was just saying that if a euro team came in summer with an amount higher than what they paid for would MLS/Dyanamo let him go or not with possible playing little or no games, in effect screwing houston. Though the feel is the amount has to be extrodinary if MLS were to let him go.

Ah I see, my bad. I don't know, then - I'm not really up to scratch on MLS' track record for pulling the rug from under the feet of its teams. You would assume that they wouldn't jump for the money that quickly though...

Ah I see, my bad. I don't know, then - I'm not really up to scratch on MLS' track record for pulling the rug from under the feet of its teams. You would assume that they wouldn't jump for the money that quickly though...
It would be up to the club in this situation. I remember when the Revs blocked solid offers for Taylor Twellman and Shalrie Joseph to Europe several years ago because they were more important to the Revs than the solid offer.
The Lampard situation seems more complicated than this, but in general, especially with DP's, the club has the right to sell said player or not.