Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
The best thing about this alternative reality timeline is the unstated assumption that the media and people that aren't diehards give a shit about MLS or this team.
Funny, because I couldn’t give a shit about the Yankee’s, Mets, Knick’s, or Rangers, and they put out quite a bit of team information. My not caring doesn’t stop them because they know that there are fans out there that do care and all press helps create a niche in the local (and national) news markets for more press from their teams. A good reason we have such a small media footprint in NYC (save for the Post) is because rarely is there anything the club disseminates so the media doesn’t devote resources to covering a topic that isn’t. Put more info out on a regular basis and media will be more inclined to cover it by assigning resources.

Last edited:
The best thing about this alternative reality timeline is the unstated assumption that the media and people that aren't diehards give a shit about MLS or this team.

The press we do have IRL did note that Coach Perez was not made available as usual after Thursday practice. They have shut down.

Generally, Patricof has spoken at multiple events about their efforts to encourage more involved press coverage, yet they choose themselves not to share the same level of info that local football, baseball, basketball and even hockey teams regularly provide. Nothing prevents the club from issuing all these statements on the web.
We don’t need reporters between us and the club if the club actually wants to get the info out there. They don’t, and it’s silly to pretend that’s the fault of the media.
The team has improved every year and attendance has gone down every year. Something ain’t working.

ETA; what Ulrich Ulrich said

Funny, because I couldn’t give a shit about the Yankee’s, Mets, Knick’s, or Rangers, and they put out quite a bit of team information. My not caring doesn’t stop them because they know that there are fans out there that do care and all press helps create a niche in the local (and national) news markets for more press from their teams. A good reason we have such a small media footprint in NYC (save for the Post) is because rarely is there anything the club disseminates so the media doesn’t devote resources to covering a topic that isn’t. Put more info out on a regular basic and media will be more inclined to cover it by assigning resources.
Media covers what generates the most clicks. Millions of more people care about Aaron Judge stubbing his toe than when Torrent is getting his visa. Unfortunately, NYCFC isn't a major news story in our city. Putting out more press releases isn't going to make the New York Times and Daily News cover our team.

Media covers what generates the most clicks. Millions of more people care about Aaron Judge stubbing his toe than when Torrent is getting his visa. Unfortunately, NYCFC isn't a major news story in our city. Putting out more press releases isn't going to make the New York Times and Daily News cover our team.
No news generates no clicks.

Media covers what generates clicks, any amount of them - and the amazing thing about online reporting for the major outlets is that webpages costs them essentially nothing, one additional page about an MLS team or the local little league’s lemonade stand isn’t hurting their bottom dollar, because any clicks are a net positive for them.

Reactions: adam and dummyrun

You know what generates clicks? Humans being humans. I think Ring calling out Villa's "flick ons and shit like that" against the Red Bulls might be the one non-canned quote I've read from this team all year. Awuah and Caldwell are the only players who tweet with personality, I guess because they've got nothing to lose. These guys are discouraged from being themselves and it's boring as hell.

To bring it back to the topic of the thread, though, a lot of that starts not with the front office but with the coach setting the rules and the example. I'm hoping Torrent won't be quite as bad as Vieira at facing the press (in every sense).

Last edited:

You want to know why there's so much baseball coverage?

The manager speaks TWICE A DAY! The players and manager are available before the game during BP and afterwards for post-game quotes. In the NHL, players and coaches are available every day after practice, and on game-days after the morning skate and again after games. Same for the NBA.

When you read a feature about a player or a behind-the-scenes person involving MLB or NHL, the reason that story was written because journalists were able to strike up a relationship with the player, who trusted that writer to tell his story properly.

Instead, we get one open practice a week, virtually no player availability outside the coach, and only post-game availability in a very controlled setting.

When was the last time anyone from this organization allowed our players to strike up positive relationships with media members? Why do we get no features on our players? It's not because the media doesn't care, it's because the team doesn't allow the access. The only time they ever did was when the Post writer shadowed them on a road trip. It was one of the best articles ever written about NYCFC from a behind-the-scenes point of view, and it's never happened again.

The media in this city isn't going to beg to cover the team. The team needs to do a better job of media relations. If they do so, it will improve fan relations. Keeping everything hush-hush is ridiculous and self-defeating.

The Gio to Europe anger happened long ago.... the forums arelilely distracted by the WC, the 2week break, and also just fatigued from the seemingly endless PR gaffes by the club. They’re seriously starting to show they’re about as inept and out of touch as the original Metrostars were. And that’s a really low bar of ineptitude.
With the butcher job Red Bull and CFG are doing, I'd kill to have the Metrostars back.

Anyway, how do we know that they're really working on Torrent's visa? Maybe Man City just decided they needed him for a little longer, and they're not ready to send him over here yet... and they're not obligated to do so because it turns out he doesn't actually have a contract with NYCFC but with CFG instead.... Nah, they'd never do something like that. Would they?

Last edited:
Reactions: adam
With the butcher job Red Bull and CFG are doing, I'd kill to have the Metrostars back.
No, the Metrostars were the absolute worst thing that could have happened to the league from a team perspective. They wrote the book on how a club could be utterly clueless, inefficient, and universally bumbling (all to say pissing off the fan base) while still surviving in a major market because of how MLS props up the shitty of shitty bottom dweller teams. They gave rise to the modern New England, recent DC United, and Precourt. I’d throw RB in with them too except they’ve actually started to find lasting success on the field to offset their miserly business model.

Reactions: NYCFC_JD
No, the Metrostars were the absolute worst thing that could have happened to the league from a team perspective. They wrote the book on how a club could be utterly clueless, inefficient, and universally bumbling (all to say pissing off the fan base) while still surviving in a major market because of how MLS props up the shitty of shitty bottom dweller teams. They gave rise to the modern New England, recent DC United, and Precourt. I’d throw RB in with them too except they’ve actually started to find lasting success on the field to offset their miserly business model.

Haha. Fair. What I should have said was the IDEA of the Metrostars, with new ownership other than Red Bull. But clearly that didn't happen. In some ways Red Bull saved Metrostars and in more ways they murdered them.

Reactions: Ulrich
You're right. I'm done with this team.

RIP NYCFC (2013-2018). Killed by *checks notes* a visa application taking more than two weeks.

You really don’t seem to appreciate that for some of us there is a cumulative effect to the consistent flow of screw ups even for relatively simple tasks. You see this all as an irrational overreaction to a single event. We see it as the most recent symptom of a festering problem.

Nor does anyone think it will kill the team... but at least I think it will continue the trend of declining season tix sales.

Glad he's finally here, but an addendum to my post from last night -- why was there no conference call or any type of media availability with him while he was still awaiting visa?

This team dropped the ball on any kind of roll-out of their new coach by refusing to do anything with him. The media needs to have the ability to ask him questions, and I assume now the first time they'll get to do so is post-game, which is going to be a very odd setting for an introductory press conference.

You really don’t seem to appreciate that for some of us there is a cumulative effect to the consistent flow of screw ups even for relatively simple tasks. You see this all as an irrational overreaction to a single event. We see it as the most recent symptom of a festering problem.

Nor does anyone think it will kill the team... but at least I think it will continue the trend of declining season tix sales.

You're right, I don't appreciate it. I think there are a few people on here who feel wronged somehow by CFG and are determined to find fault in everything they do. But you guys are a tiny minority. Most of the concerns raised by people on here are things that barely register with 90, maybe 95% of our fanbase? I'm sure season ticket sales will continue to trend lower, and I'm just as sure that the vast majority of reasons for that have nothing to do with the things we whine about on here.

There are some legitimate issues, but if they're enough for you to start saying you wished you were a Metrostars fan instead, then I'm sorry, that's a level of fan entitlement that I can't sign up to.