Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
giphy.gif

Problems in the midfield. Just like us.

CAN WE GET....
a pineapple goal celebration
Tmac on the bottom with wallace, then villa climbs >:D
The problem there is, if Wallace and TMac are on the field at the same time, do we score a goal in order to use such celebration?

Could use some help tracking down a couple Dome quotes if anybody knows where to find them. The first is from right around the time of his appointment, when he said something about how he was going to keep things mostly the the same as under Vieira but also that he saw some things he thought he could improve (these may be in two separate interviews, I don't remember). The second is an interview where he said he prefers to play the 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3.

Could use some help tracking down a couple Dome quotes if anybody knows where to find them. The first is from right around the time of his appointment, when he said something about how he was going to keep things mostly the the same as under Vieira but also that he saw some things he thought he could improve (these may be in two separate interviews, I don't remember). The second is an interview where he said he prefers to play the 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3.
I think that first quote comes from his introduction video, no? The one where he rambles on for like 15 minutes?

Reactions: Kjbert

Yup, there's the first one. For future googling purposes, it's at 5:33:

Q. What are some of the challenges that you think you'll face in the first few weeks in this job?

A: I don't change many many things because Patrick was a fantastic job here. In fact he plays most similar than us in Manchester City. It's the perfect philosophy for me. But every week we introduce a little bit change because I like the way who play this team, but I think in the life in general you can always improve. And okay, it's to be calm, step by step, but I try to improve this club.

The formation quote is going to be harder to find. Maybe it was a postgame press conference?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mgarbowski
Yup, there's the first one. For future googling purposes, it's at 5:33:

Q. What are some of the challenges that you think you'll face in the first few weeks in this job?

A: I don't change many many things because Patrick was a fantastic job here. In fact he plays most similar than us in Manchester City. It's the perfect philosophy for me. But every week we introduce a little bit change because I like the way who play this team, but I think in the life in general you can always improve. And okay, it's to be calm, step by step, but I try to improve this club.

The formation quote is going to be harder to find. Maybe it was a postgame press conference?
I vaguely remember that press conference. I think it was the same one he mentions liking to play wide wingers... Try maybe the Toronto press conference on the nycfc YouTube

I've reset the voting on the poll above and would like it to be a live thoughts on Dome as head coach. Please selected your "pleased" choice and change it throughout the year as you see fit.

Reactions: Kjbert
Jury's still out for me, LionNYC LionNYC. I think he's a good coach, and I think with all the injuries and int'l duties, he's been coaching with one hand tied behind his back. It's amazing we've had such a strong 11 with all the first-choice players out of contention these last few weeks. The team badly misses Medina and what he brings, and they miss Berget being a target man. Add to that the Herrera injury, and it's understandable why the team is scuffling right now. These last two games we've missed at least 5 or 6 first-choice XI players. And while we've struggled to finish, we've still looked like the better team in almost every game he's coached. Results matter, but so does the process, and the process has very often been solid.

Now, Dome has struggled in aspects. I think he's been too cute -- we've changed formation in like 11 of his 13 games as coach. Changed systems, changed how we play -- someone said recently that we've lost our identity. He's made things too complicated, and I think the players seem confused at times how they're supposed to play. He may be overestimating the tactical acumen of his players, which is frankly understandable considering the quality of player he's coached for the last decade.

So the jury is still out. We have five games before the playoffs, and hopefully Dome can use that 3-week break to instill some things. The games have come pretty fast and furious since his arrival, it'll be good to get a total of 5 weeks off over the rest of the regular season. I think what he's able to accomplish in these bye weeks will go a long way to deciding what will come of this season.

Jury's still out for me, LionNYC LionNYC. I think he's a good coach, and I think with all the injuries and int'l duties, he's been coaching with one hand tied behind his back. It's amazing we've had such a strong 11 with all the first-choice players out of contention these last few weeks. The team badly misses Medina and what he brings, and they miss Berget being a target man. Add to that the Herrera injury, and it's understandable why the team is scuffling right now. These last two games we've missed at least 5 or 6 first-choice XI players. And while we've struggled to finish, we've still looked like the better team in almost every game he's coached. Results matter, but so does the process, and the process has very often been solid.

Now, Dome has struggled in aspects. I think he's been too cute -- we've changed formation in like 11 of his 13 games as coach. Changed systems, changed how we play -- someone said recently that we've lost our identity. He's made things too complicated, and I think the players seem confused at times how they're supposed to play. He may be overestimating the tactical acumen of his players, which is frankly understandable considering the quality of player he's coached for the last decade.

So the jury is still out. We have five games before the playoffs, and hopefully Dome can use that 3-week break to instill some things. The games have come pretty fast and furious since his arrival, it'll be good to get a total of 5 weeks off over the rest of the regular season. I think what he's able to accomplish in these bye weeks will go a long way to deciding what will come of this season.

Completely fair. 2018 was supposed to be the year all the pieces Vieira put together (and removed from the Kreis era) would be enough to challenge for trophies. We did very much looked like a team that could before the rumors of Arsenal and then Nice.

I don't want to wait another 2.5 years until Dome gets all his pieces to build a MLS Cup contender team.

Would Herrera even fit into his strategy? What is his strategy? How is he trying to get the team to play?