Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
I lean to keeping hm. I hate when teams shuffle through coaches and nobody stays around long enough to do anything (including when one is an asshole who deserts midseason before accomplishing anything of substance). Look at Orlando. They'd be better off if they never fired Adrian Heath, and he's not some magic worker, but the stability would have them in better form than the dumpster fire they are. Hell, I have no desire to defend Kreis, but I doubt they'd have just 1 win in 20 games if he's still there, and he deserved a full season with the roster he built before they canned him.

So I'd rather stick with Dome, absent some no-doubt don't even think about it better alternative showing up looking for work.

But damn, if this team does not make noise in the playoffs, then gets halfway through next season with 25 points or so, it will be ugly.
25pts is optimistic.... and it’s then too late with two seasons tanked.

A good Manager knows when to tinker and when to leave alone. We had a club with all of the parts in place to be a top-2 team if the status quo was kept, and his first 7 games proved that, but once the tinkering started it all went to crap. Having injuries and call-ups is all the more reason to keep the status quo, because the players are executing something they’re comfortable with, but he didn’t. Dome is like the A.D.D. kid in an arcade with unlimited credits, switching to a new machine after the avatar dies. Unfortunately, when that happens, his score on each machine is too low to set his initials on the Top-10.

I guess I'm cautiously optimistic that with time and an off season Dome gets the team bought in and knowing what they are supposed to be doing out there. He seems to say the right things ,that they need to play faster etc. The question is can he be a coach and get his players to play balls out and committed, not just an experienced tactician...

If the club lets him bring over 11 Amagats he can play his system.

Lol y'all turned on pretty pineapple so fast. Tinkering you say....remember that WM formation Vieira tried in his first season? Remember how he subbed out Jefferson Mena like 20 minutes into that match because he was getting burned? I know it's frustrating because its happening midseason but it's hard to be upset about our new coach and staff going through growing pains at this point.

Dome's interview with NYCFC

giphy.gif

Not right before the playoffs.
After the eventual first-round flame-out then. You can't take over arguably the best team in the league and get 2 wins in 2 months. The more he's instilled, the worse the team has looked. Players will always take the blame, but the guy is in over his head playing the least imaginative soccer in the league now. Raw talent may get us some points, but there's nothing tactically that's given us an advantage in any game yet. Weren't we supposed to play "The City Way"? Quick passing, attractive, forward-playing? We've been anything but. My brother told me "There's a reason some guys are life-long assistant coaches." I think we're seeing why.

After the eventual first-round flame-out then. You can't take over arguably the best team in the league and get 2 wins in 2 months. The more he's instilled, the worse the team has looked. Players will always take the blame, but the guy is in over his head playing the least imaginative soccer in the league now. Raw talent may get us some points, but there's nothing tactically that's given us an advantage in any game yet. Weren't we supposed to play "The City Way"? Quick passing, attractive, forward-playing? We've been anything but. My brother told me "There's a reason some guys are life-long assistant coaches." I think we're seeing why.
It was a red flag that the guy on Pep's staff steps away to come to MLS. If he was manager material he would have gotten a crack at a top league team. I'm sure he was looked at by almost every club with an opening, but they must have known what seems apparent to us now. You don't see Belichick's assistants going to the Arena league or lower rated college programs, they get shots at NFL or premier college jobs consistently.

I think he should be booted right after the end of the season unless we miraculously do well in the playoffs. We aren’t playing well and our record over his tenure is poor. But not only that, he says we’re actually playing well. He said that this was the best away game NYC FC has played. What is he talking about!?

I'd lie if I said I knew Torrent wouldn't be the right choice after Vieira, but I had my qualms. As I've written before, few good assistant managers make top class head coaches (of course there are some exceptions). At the time I had the feeling that if it had to be someone inside the CFG, then Mikel Arteta would have been a better choice. He's obviously very ambitious, and would surely have taken the challenge, given the chance. Perhaps it's still not too late, if the club decides Domé isn't the right man to lead the team.

I wanted to check a few stats in thinking about what Dome’s had to work with.

Villa
Vieira got 882/1440 possible minutes - 65.33%
Dome has 692/1530 possible minutes - 45.23%
Under Vieira 8g/3a
Under Dome 4g/2a

Herrera
Vieira got 1003/1440 possible minutes - 74.30%
Dome of course got nothing out of Yangel so far

Medina
Vieira got 1032/1440 possible minutes - 76.44%
Dome has 794/1530 possible minutes - 51.90%
Under Vieira 2g/2a
Under Dome 4g/2a

Not arguing that Dome is a good fit or was a good hire I just think it’s interesting to consider what he’s had to work with. It certainly seems plausible that Vieira would’ve run into some trouble as well as our top heavy squad thinned out due to injury. I tend to think that informed his decision to leave when he did.

Villa
Under Vieira 8g/3a
Under Dome 4g/2a

Herrera

Medina
Under Vieira 2g/2a
Under Dome 4g/2a

Not arguing that Dome is a good fit or was a good hire I just think it’s interesting to consider what he’s had to work with. It certainly seems plausible that Vieira would’ve run into some trouble as well as our top heavy squad thinned out due to injury. I tend to think that informed his decision to leave when he did.

Yes, Herrera is a top five player on this team and one of the best young players in the league when healthy. That f***ing injury in Houston was devastating. F*** Allen Chapman.

Villa
Under Vieira 8g/3a
Under Dome 4g/2a

Herrera

Medina
Under Vieira 2g/2a
Under Dome 4g/2a

another thing is we seem to slow down in september/october even last year too ( and i think i recall same in PV first year). So there really is not nothing much different this year out side us landing in possibly 3rd instead of 2nd. Strong start then fizzle out.

Jeez the man has yet to have a full season here and want him out only 3 months in , freaking kreis was way worse and got a full season. plus we also have players to get rid of and an offseason to get to. if we make it to first round of playoffs and then lose then he did no better than PV did in two tries. anyone coming in after PV left would of been scrambling to try and get thru to playoffs and patch things as best as possible. no one would of fully implemented their style because its impossible halfway in the season already. i never want to play out of the back because this team was always too slow for it imo.

and we were not arguably the best team in league this year either.

another thing is we seem to slow down in september/october even last year too ( and i think i recall same in PV first year). So there really is not nothing much different this year out side us landing in possibly 3rd instead of 2nd. Strong start then fizzle out.
I think a lot of it is due to international breaks, our reliance on international players, and the disastrous effects that a change in regimen can have on players with regard to injuries. All of this leads to a lack of cohesion. But honestly I'm too busy to dig into the details that might substantiate such a perspective.

I think a lot of it is due to international breaks, our reliance on international players, and the disastrous effects that a change in regimen can have on players with regard to injuries. All of this leads to a lack of cohesion. But honestly I'm too busy to dig into the details that might substantiate such a perspective.
Last year we had one reliable goal scorer after Jack cooled off . When Villa was hurt in international play, we had our slump. It could be a coincidence and not causative, but the correlation, at least, was pretty strong. This year you can point to a lot of things as causes, including what you listed. It is hard to say. And in 2016 we finished moderately strong, certainly not a slump (5-3-1 last quarter-season). I don't think 2 years in a row under different coaches constitutes a pattern, much less a trend. I think it's just something that happened 2 years in a row.

sure, it adds to it no doubt. But i recall last years end of season poor run that its not too shocking to me what is happening.

Reactions: Christopher Jee