Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Anybody on this list that looks interesting and viable?
I'll handwave the viability issue and just focus on interesting.

Eusebio di Francesco - Has a high-intensity, exciting style featuring a possibly suicidal amount of pressing. Would establish football that's super fun to watch if we didn't get absolutely clowned by turnovers leading to counterattack goals.

Claude Puel - Pragmatic and has a track record of getting decent results out of middling talent. Drummed out of Southampton and Leicester by fans who thought he was too boring both personally and from a footballing perspective, but a better manager than it would seem after being sacked by two mid-table Prem sides.

Domenico Tedesco - Has a pretty "go for it" philosophy. Possibly one of the more exciting prospects on the list stylistically. Did very well with Schalke until the organization hit a wall and he was sacrificed (they sold Goretzka out from under him). Would be used to a higher level of talent than we have but not a *radically* higher level.

David Moyes - A super unsexy option but sexier than Big Sam. Pragmatic and would actually probably use our talent edge over most of the league well, but possibly conservative to the point of boredom.

What if CFG realizes this and is purposefully making us have a coach struggle so people stop caring about the stadium in the mean time?

Reactions: Kjbert
What if CFG realizes this and is purposefully making us have a coach struggle so people stop caring about the stadium in the mean time?
Why care about the stadium when not caring about the team? They’re acting like Icarus in the clouds.

And his former team has also gone to crap as they’ve stopped pressing as much.
Haven’t watched any of their matches, but I have wondered how long BWP was going to be able to keep Father Time at bay.... he’s now 34 and while he won’t lose his shooting ability as readily to age, his legs will go first, especially the initial burst. If he can’t press up top, the RB press won’t work.

Haven’t watched any of their matches, but I have wondered how long BWP was going to be able to keep Father Time at bay.... he’s now 34 and while he won’t lose his shooting ability as readily to age, his legs will go first, especially the initial burst. If he can’t press up top, the RB press won’t work.

If BWP doesn’t score 20, that team is in trouble. RBNJ’s strategy was for BWP to bang in a goal and to get a clean sheet. If those aren’t happening, yikes.

For those of you saying there is no way Pep would coach this team, here is proof he has already coached at this level.

P.S. What would the score be with that Pep led team vs NYCFC under Dome?
Those guys are definitely more organized.

Reactions: JohnB
The only credential he needed was friend of Pep. Kinda like NFL teams hiring people who peed in a stall next to Sean McVay.
What it's most like are all the college football teams hiring to be their new head coach, whomever was a top assistant under Nick Saban.

Sometimes it works out, most of the time not - debate is always whether you'd be better off with someone who had meaningful head coaching experience or someone who was the "right hand man" to the best coach in the game. I don't think there is a correct answer to that. Hiring a new coach is always a roll of the dice - look at Atlanta.

I don't begrudge CFG the decision to bring him in. I will begrudge a failure to make a change now that it's clear it's not working out.

What it's most like are all the college football teams hiring to be their new head coach, whomever was a top assistant under Nick Saban.

Sometimes it works out, most of the time not - debate is always whether you'd be better off with someone who had meaningful head coaching experience or someone who was the "right hand man" to the best coach in the game. I don't think there is a correct answer to that. Hiring a new coach is always a roll of the dice - look at Atlanta.

I don't begrudge CFG the decision to bring him in. I will begrudge a failure to make a change now that it's clear it's not working out.
That’s a good analogy, except that Dome was the equivalent of being the Special Teams Coach. No other program would ever hire a ST coach as their head coach.

But that is an exception to the rule
I also think anyone who has been with Pep as long as Dome is an automatic exception to the rule.

I was also struck just now at the fact that we are on page 64 of the Dome thread. Anyone want to guess how many pages Vieira's thread had after 10 months (without looking)?

I'll give you a hint. If nothing else, Dome seems to be good for giving us something to talk about.

I also think anyone who has been with Pep as long as Dome is an automatic exception to the rule.

I was also struck just now at the fact that we are on page 64 of the Dome thread. Anyone want to guess how many pages Vieira's thread had after 10 months (without looking)?

I'll give you a hint. If nothing else, Dome seems to be good for giving us something to talk about.
I was curious and went to check, but the really amazing comparison is this:
We had 22 pages on Vieira within the first week after he was appointed. Then just another 15 all time. With Torrent we produced 12 pages the first week, and 52 more since then.

I was curious and went to check, but the really amazing comparison is this:
We had 22 pages on Vieira within the first week after he was appointed. Then just another 15 all time. With Torrent we produced 12 pages the first week, and 52 more since then.

But I'm sure we complained about PV a ton in the match sections. This section has turned into the Dome vent thread.