Drafts 101

Wow, it's a really interesting a system. It all seems a lot more civil and wholesome that what we have over in Europe.

You're right about 30 being a large squad for the number of games, I don't see any issue. It was just hard to picture how a full squad could be assembled in such a short space of time without being able to "flash the cash".

I'm really interested by the whole trading of picks and other commodities, as well as the requirement to choose players to protect, thus making the starting 11 quite clear for all to see. It seems there could be a lot of scope for intrigue and gambling, pretty exciting stuff!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, really appreciate it.

True, though I believe the Discovery List can only be used on young players, so you can't exactly use it to cheat on signing top-class talent you've somehow got under the squad cap.
Very good answers all around, however I do believe that MLS clubs can slap a Discovery claim on whoever they want but I do think MLS the League takes into account of approving them based on the effort that the specific club makes to actual sign who they want to put a Discovery claim on.
I was looking at the 2011 expansion draft and of the 10 players selected only 2 ended up playing for Montreal. Some were immediately traded back to their former team for allocation money and others were traded for draft picks. I can defintely see NYC FC trying to select players that teams dont want to lose and trading them back for allocation money to buy down their cap hits. I wouldnt expect to get even close to 10 players from the expansion draft
In 2006/2007 Expansion Draft, when Toronto entered the league, Jason Kreis, then captain of RSL was placed on the unprotected list. TFC selected Kreis and RSL had to embarrassingly trade allocation money to TFC to get their captain back. I think the coach and GM were shortly thereafter fired. So Kreis should have first hand knowledge of getting the most out of other MLS clubs in the Expansion Draft.

Reactions: einwindir
Very good answers all around, however I do believe that MLS clubs can slap a Discovery claim on whoever they want but I do think MLS the League takes into account of approving them based on the effort that the specific club makes to actual sign who they want to put a Discovery claim on.

True, though the one thing I came up across most often when trying to look into the Discovery List is that it's something that MLS refuses to expand on - they just announce who is on the List and leave it at that. Presumably they have a reason for their silence, but all the same it can make it a little hard to be certain exactly how it works.

True, though the one thing I came up across most often when trying to look into the Discovery List is that it's something that MLS refuses to expand on - they just announce who is on the List and leave it at that. Presumably they have a reason for their silence, but all the same it can make it a little hard to be certain exactly how it works.

The NJ Red Bulls received allocation money from Montreal when the latter signed Alessandro Nesta. They also had a claim on Kaka, but I think that the claims expire and must be renewed.

What happens if a player doesn't want to play for a team that has chosen him in a draft?

What happens if a player doesn't want to play for a team that has chosen him in a draft?
If he has enough pull he can force a trade. Brian McBride did this for a Allocation Order pick, Luis Gil did this for Weighted Lottery pick. Also you can just so no and go foreign.

Otherwise tough luck. Not only is the draft pick important to the club don't forget clubs and MLS are single entity. So it isn't 21 different people you can turn to, it's only one.

I believe it's in there somewhere. IIRC, players can reject the drafter's contract but the drafter retains rights over them to offer further deals for a set period, preventing the draftee from contacting any other clubs. If the drafter elects to give up on the player, he can be redrafted in the 3rd and 4th rounds but if he still won't accept the next team to pick him then his MLS career is basically at and end already. The draft is designed to prevent players from being able to influence where they are going.

From ^^that article^^

"Also, barring any last minute changes, Orlando City officials will travel to New York City on Wednesday, Sept. 24 for the coin flip that will decide which team picks first in the expansion and MLS SuperDraft."
1 week till we know who gets first pick. NYCFC is gonna dominate that coin flip! #NYCFC #OrlandoSux #TotallyOrganicRivalry

Reactions: einwindir and Vito
I love that Orlando officials are going to travel to NYC for a coin toss line. For real? Is that not something that could either be done at the general meetings or even over teleconference?
I would love to see a couple OCSC suits getting off the plane, while waiting for baggage someone asks them "hey what are you guys in NY for?" they say "we have a big coin toss today"!
Awesome!

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
I love that Orlando officials are going to travel to NYC for a coin toss line. For real? Is that not something that could either be done at the general meetings or even over teleconference?
I would love to see a couple OCSC suits getting off the plane, while waiting for baggage someone asks them "hey what are you guys in NY for?" they say "we have a big coin toss today"!
Awesome!
If only the NYCFC brass were as engaged.

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP for this and the other stickied guides, very instructive and an easy read! I don't think I have fully grasped it all yet but that's because I didn't grow up with the draft system. Thanks again!

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP for this and the other stickied guides, very instructive and an easy read! I don't think I have fully grasped it all yet but that's because I didn't grow up with the draft system. Thanks again!

I didn't grow up with the drafts system either. I'm a fellow Brit like yourself. I'm just pretty good at memorising rules and regulations ;)

Reactions: DM-Belfast