Euro Leagues In Tatters As Qatar '22 Set To Be Played In The Winter!

Another World Cup more headlines about how awful this is or that is. Everyone will be fine. I feel bad for the slaves building the stadiums in Qatar there the real ones suffering. They are dying like nuts, but people are complaining about the euro leagues having to work around the greatest sporting tournament and the most popular tournament in sports. There always could be a better host than this country or that country.

I wonder how it would work in terms of releasing players purely from a legal economic perspective. Should players be forced to leave for a month and play for their national teams for free? Am I right in thinking players don't get paid when they play internationally?

I wonder how it would work in terms of releasing players purely from a legal economic perspective. Should players be forced to leave for a month and play for their national teams for free? Am I right in thinking players don't get paid when they play internationally?
They get paid.
http://www.soccertimes.com/usteams/2005/dec19.htm

There's a great article there.
In 2002 they earned just over $200,000 a piece. Just did a quick search so I didn't bother going further after finding that.
I'm assuming that UEFA could just not release their players thus it would be a very lackluster world cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Jee
I have a feeling we're going to see the 2021/22 seasons as follows:
Early/mid July - start of seasons, break from mid-november until mid-December or January, rest of season ends in late June (instead of May), and then the next year will proceed as normal.

FIFA just confirmed the Qatar dates, which will be a tournament from November 21 to December 18.
https://www.prosoccerusa.com/world-cup/fifa-confirms-final-winter-dates-for-2022-world-cup-in-qatar/

MLS Cup is usually played first Saturday in December, which would be December 3, 2018. I presume adjustments will be made to the MLS schedule to avoid a situation where teams in the MLS Cup play the game without key player(s).
This is so fcked up on so many levels. Between the bribes that took place for the voting, to the inability to deliver the originally planned stadiums with climate control, gifting a free entry to a country with zero soccer culture & ranked around 850 in the world, to the migrant workers/slaves deaths building the venues, to a shift in the schedule of every league in world.... it’s all a cluster Fck of a tournament. I bet there will be stadiums not finished on time - bet on it. Take the tournament away from them and give it to a country with the infrastructure in place.

This is so fcked up on so many levels. Between the bribes that took place for the voting, to the inability to deliver the originally planned stadiums with climate control, gifting a free entry to a country with zero soccer culture & ranked around 850 in the world, to the migrant workers/slaves deaths building the venues, to a shift in the schedule of every league in world.... it’s all a cluster Fck of a tournament. I bet there will be stadiums not finished on time - bet on it. Take the tournament away from them and give it to a country with the infrastructure in place.
Qatar hosting will be the first time ever (technically, I guess since the first World Cup), that the hosting country has never previously qualified.

Qatar hosting will be the first time ever (technically, I guess since the first World Cup), that the hosting country has never previously qualified.
It’s totally fcked. I’m all for raising the game in all areas of the world, but a nation with zero significant soccer history doesn’t deserve the right to host an event of this magnitude. And, if FIFA insists on corruptly allowing them to continue to host, they damn well shouldn’t be allowed to participate in the actual competition. Since this is the first (and only) summer WC held in the winter, then also make it the first (and only) WC that the host country doesn’t play in it; bribes bought the hosting rights, not the playing rights.

I have a feeling we're going to see the 2021/22 seasons as follows:
Early/mid July - start of seasons, break from mid-november until mid-December or January, rest of season ends in late June (instead of May), and then the next year will proceed as normal.

European leagues plan to start 3 weeks earlier and end 3 weeks later.

People (including myself) also said Russia wouldn't be good but it's the world cup. People will turn up, the stadiums will be ready and Qatar has the money to provide what's required.

Unfortunately, it comes at the expense of exploited migrant workers.

As for Qatar actually playing in a World Cup, the 2026 edition is going to have a lot of rubbish teams in it, so its not so bad now.

the stadiums will be ready
Or maybe we will have more of these:

4C96049E00000578-5782369-image-a-153_1527593320792.jpg

I get what you are saying, but it's essentially "what should be the world's greatest sporting event will be better than a kick in the nuts except for the exploited workers, for whom it's going to be much worse".

View attachment 8886

I get what you are saying, but it's essentially "what should be the world's greatest sporting event will be better than a kick in the nuts except for the exploited workers, for whom it's going to be much worse".

???? This is so weird i’m not sure I understand what i’m looking at. Was a section actually built outside the stadium permiter?

View attachment 8886

I want to know how the people sitting in those erector-set temporary stands are going to survive 90/120minutes of Qatari sunshine with no roof cover on a metal structure that conducts heat?!?!? Fck me, they better have a 1:1 ratio of emergency medical staff to fans because there will definitely be inebriated fans suffering from heat stroke during the matches.

???? This is so weird i’m not sure I understand what i’m looking at. Was a section actually built outside the stadium permiter?
Yes, those fckers weren’t able to deliver the promised stadiums, so they’re doing dumbed-down versions, and part of their ploy is that the stadiums can be partly/entirely dismantled and shipped to poor countries to give them new venues. Part of the bribe for votes.

And it being outside of the stadium is bullshit, but needed to increase their seating amount. See my post above regarding a major issue with it.