European Teams Chasing Poku?

Say it ain't so, Kwadwe!

Questions for those with more knowledge than me. Would he go on a free transfer? or do we have him locked up for more than just the season.

Hopefully, the fact that his wife is a citizen and he is applying for citizenship will keep him in the fold.

There must be 9 teams pursuing Grabavoy then! #KreisLogic

As for getting something for Poku, it depends on how long his contract is for. And I don't think anyone knows that.

Say it ain't so, Kwadwe!

Questions for those with more knowledge than me. Would he go on a free transfer? or do we have him locked up for more than just the season.

Hopefully, the fact that his wife is a citizen and he is applying for citizenship will keep him in the fold.

He would only go on a free if his contract is for one year. Otherwise, MLS would surely be looking to extort the highest fee that they could for him.

Say it ain't so, Kwadwe!

I can't imagine they would make a trade and only sign him for 1 season.

EDIT: FYI Seattle claimed his rights before he came into the MLS so we had to make a trade with them for the right to sign him to a contract.

Well deserved recognition, it would be a shame to lose him tho. You'd wonder with a high pursuit for Kwadwo, how many club are chasing for Larin?

Last edited:
This is starting to make more and more sense. I knew there was something more then meets the eye on why Kreis was not playing Poku, and have him come off the bench only. I guarantee you it was a CFG mandate to Kreis to limit risk of injury on Poku so they can sell him in the off season. SMH....again I am sure this made Kreis very happy, not really! Of course this is all just opinion but if I was a betting man, which I am not, I would bet CFG had a big part in dictating Poku's playing time.

Reactions: NYCFCP and adam
Doesn't mean they are 8 good teams that would be a better situation than NYCFC. Yes, top flight teams in Europe are a better option than MLS but there are a lot of lower division teams/leagues that are not.

This is also a situation where the MCFC connection could be a positive. Say a mid tier european team is interested in Poku, they are in a slightly more prestigious league than MLS and they pay a little more. On another MLS team Poku goes because its a better opportunity but with us maybe he stays a few more years in the hopes of getting a shot at an opportunity with MCFC as a result of the affiliation.

Interesting thing to consider amid all the complaining people do about us becoming an MCFC feeder team and how horrible that would be. This is the thing I don't understand about the feeder team argument. At this point we are still a feeder league, any player MCFC would be interested in is leaving anyway regardless of affiliation with CFG. Maybe more will go to MCFC than other clubs but if a player is good enough for MCFC then they are leaving MLS regardless.

Reactions: Tony L
This is starting to make more and more sense. I knew there was something more then meets the eye on why Kreis was not playing Poku, and have him come off the bench only. I guarantee you it was a CFG mandate to Kreis to limit risk of injury on Poku so they can sell him in the off season. SMH....again I am sure this made Kreis very happy, not really! Of course this is all just opinion but if I was a betting man, which I am not, I would bet CFG had a big part in dictating Poku's playing time.
You think CFG gives a rabbit-pellet shit about a measly six-figure fee? No way. No way in hell. They can reap way more than whatever fee they got by NYC performing well and having players who provide good value for money here in a capped league is critical to that goal. They will sell more Poku shirts than they would get in transfer money.

ETA: And in general, CFG doesn't really exist to make money in my estimation. The mandate is for successful teams that provide a highly visible platform for marketing the businesses and concerns that do matter to UAE.

CFG doesn't even get the money, MLS does. This makes no sense.

Right. The money would go to MLS, but we would get some benefit in terms of an allocation or something.

Also, CFG is not about making a short term profit by selling a player or two. Their game here is to turn the $100 million franchise fee they paid into a $1 billion franchise. They will do that by establishing a premier franchise that wins games and draws fans. Trading away up and coming players wont get them there.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I guarantee you it was a CFG mandate to Kreis to limit risk of injury on Poku so they can sell him in the off season.
As other people have alluded to, remember that MLS owns all player contracts within MLS. CFG would not (directly) make any money off of a Poku sale unless they have some side deal with MLS, and even then, as mentioned, a Poku transfer fee would be peanuts compared to the business CFG does frequently.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Wynalda is a reputable guy now? lol wut? i dont doubt the possible interest but not when the news is coming from him.

I can't believe such a thing could ever have been seriously entertained. As the article makes clear, it would have sparked a riot in Yankee Stadium (a real one... not these fake ones the securitas keep thinking are happening). They should have been signing him to a long term extension, not sending him to Philly for allocation money. Thank goodness cooler heads prevailed.

Of course, it might have been one of those fishing expeditions that happen all the time and was never serious to begin with.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/remains-commodity-traded-41502/

FIRE KREIS!!! IMMEDIATELY! Don't let him coach on Sunday. Trading Poku to the Union? No fuck you Kreis we'll trade your bum ass to the Union and see how you like it.

Yay lets trade our most promising player to a conference rival. Hopefully, this is just some sad philly fan making rumors.
Poku is a fan favorite, would be a shitty move all around to trade him. Seems like common sense to keep him.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
i love how this conveniently shows up now that these euro rumors start happening. :rolleyes:

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/remains-commodity-traded-41502/

FIRE KREIS!!! IMMEDIATELY! Don't let him coach on Sunday. Trading Poku to the Union? No fuck you Kreis we'll trade your bum ass to the Union and see how you like it.

Holy hell.

Ok, I definitely want Vieira. And I want him to come in with his developmental mindset and build the squad and formation around Poku and Mix. Admit that Frank and Pirlo are good, but old and tired, and should be relegated to roles as mentors and luxuries.