European Teams Chasing Poku?

The article says that toward the end of July, NYCFC just broke off negotiations without explanation.

July 26 is the day that Poku totally blew up, with 3 assists against Orlando. That was Pirlo's first day, and he and Poku had a couple of great combinations that led to goals.

mcfly.jpg

This is the fax Kreis received yesterday from CFG

Yay lets trade our most promising player to a conference rival. Hopefully, this is just some sad philly fan making rumors.
Poku is a fan favorite, would be a shitty move all around to trade him. Seems like common sense to keep him.
Dude, the article said Kreis was spearheading the talks, and you appeal to common sense? And people still question whether or not Kreis wants to be here? I'm glad someone jerked a knot in his nuts and put an end to that horse shit.

The article says that toward the end of July, NYCFC just broke off negotiations without explanation.

July 26 is the day that Poku totally blew up, with 3 assists against Orlando. That was Pirlo's first day, and he and Poku had a couple of great combinations that led to goals.

Not really an excuse. What is left to defend Kreis over anymore? One of his biggest wins this season was the discovery and success of Poku (despite not starting him every game). Turns out Kreis not only had little to do with bringing in Poku, but was actively trying to get rid of him. WTF!

Correct me if I am wrong, but with transfers, doesn't MLS get 50% and the club 50%? And with homegrown players the club gets 66%? I would rather keep Poku one more season, have him develop under a real coach like Viera and sell him to the highest bidder after a season of being a full time starter. I could totally see him going for one of the highest fees in MLS history if he plays next season all the time how he did when he actually played this year. It would suck losing Poku, but the money NYCFC and MLS could get from it would be too difficult to turn down.

That said, I hope we keep Poku

This is starting to make more and more sense. I knew there was something more then meets the eye on why Kreis was not playing Poku, and have him come off the bench only. I guarantee you it was a CFG mandate to Kreis to limit risk of injury on Poku so they can sell him in the off season. SMH....again I am sure this made Kreis very happy, not really! Of course this is all just opinion but if I was a betting man, which I am not, I would bet CFG had a big part in dictating Poku's playing time.
Interesting, so you regard him highly, yet you don't think that playing him would result in his value increasing, or give CFG more bargaining power in demanding a higher price.

Ah jeez, are we going to spend all winter foaming at the mouth at every single wildly improbable "unnamed source" rumor?

Yeah, probably, I guess.

I have three unnamed sources that tell me Saunders just got an offer from the Yankees to be their catcher next season. I know this to be true, because I have sources.

When #DecisionDay means nothing more than choosing which scarf to bring, yes.

I'm actually conflicted. I got two new scarves recently. I'd like to try one of them out. Then again, this game is the last time the inaugural season scarf could be worn with an actual purpose. Although, it all depends on the weather and whether I go with just a jersey or sweatshirt or jacket. Maybe I just say "fuck it" and wear multiple scarves to the game like the passionate fan that I am. All this to think about...this must be how Kreis feels when choosing the lineups. No, he probably has a much easier time. Grabavoy! Grabavoy! Grabavoy! What does the fox say?!?!

Last edited:
Reactions: mgarbowski
I'm actually conflicted. I got two new scarves recently. I'd like to try one of them out. Then again, this game is the last time the inaugural season scarf could be worn with an actual purpose. Although, it all depends on the weather and whether I go with just a jersey or sweatshirt or jacket. Maybe I just say "fuck it" and wear multiple scarves to the game like the passionate fan that I am. All this to think about...this must be how Kreis feels when choosing the lineups. No, he probably has a much easier time. Grabavoy! Grabavoy! Grabavoy! What does the fox say?!?!

Bring two scarves. It will match the latest style - starting yesterday.

latest

If Kreis stays, I wouldn't be shocked if Poku goes (which, of course, would be tragic). I wish we knew the bases for Kreis' thought-process regarding Poku this season, but we likely never will. Did he believe Poku was a defensive liability, did he think he was not compatible with Lampard/Pirlo, did he think his play was too unpolished or that he was one-dimensional, did he see his value as a late sub, was there a personality issue or a training issue, was it clear he was going to leave after the season so he was less inclined to feature him, none of the above, all of above, something else? I am not saying any of these bases would be justified or reasonable (I would tend to disagree with most of them), I just would love to understand what Kreis was thinking with regard to Poku. Being a fan is like playing poker, you are in a constant state of drawing conclusions based upon incomplete information.

Ok guys allow me to explain my comment about CFG wanting to sell Poku earlier and I was told I had no idea what I was talking about, makes no sense. I can see why you would think that but hear me out.

How much money would it actually NET CFG if they sold Poku to a European club? As Midas pointed in his comment probably not much to entice CFG on selling a young promising player, and I agree with at whole heartedly. But as someone who let's just say has been exposed to MLS internal mindset from various players and figures within the league, not going to mention names, here is how MLS works.

Anytime there is a young promising player, or any player that would demand a transfer fee, MLS is very OPEN and willing to work with the player, their agent, to get them to Europe. Why because it NETS MLS single entity Money. This money is not used, but thought of to other INVESTORS in the league aka owners, as money that can grow their own FRANCHISE in whatever capacity, this isn't a CFG thing as much as an MLS thing. MLS knows, and quite frankly, I am not sure if this mindset will ever change, they know that in addition to TV contracts, expansion fee, gates, etc, another part of minimizing risk for investing into the league is transfer fee.

We are ONE COMPANY, a redbull or nycfc player in effect is a galaxy or columbus crew player in the essence that if one player can be used to benefit the league in certain ways, the internal politics will go to work to make sure that it happens. Just look at the history of young talented players in this league only dating back to a decade ago, that had european interest, there are a lot of similar cases. One I can remember very vividly and it was a similar situation with Juan Agudelo and the Redbulls. Juan made a huge splash with the USMNT and scoring that goal vs South Africa and then the great goal vs DC united, he was the next best thing, and redbull fans were clamoring for him to start and get more playing time but for some reason Hans Backe kept on benching him and not giving him a chance saying he is not fit, he still has a lot to learn etc...much like what Kreis was saying about Poku.

This is the price you pay when you are an up an coming league, like MLS, and can't fully operate on an independent level. This has got to change of course if MLS wants to take that next step, and I think it will within 7 years or so, but this is what is frustrating for us fans, as it should be. Now the rumor of Poku going to Philly on a trade this past summer. That makes sense too because if MLS HQ is forcing teams to sell their players when there is a chance of doing so, why not get something for him? And MLS devises up plans to somehow REWARD their investors/franchises for taking away one of their best talents by giving them allocation money, by giving them some of the transfer fee, etc etc. That is why the league is always tinkering with their player acquisition rules.

Honestly this is why you have folks in the NASL and even guys like Henry saying MLS is 'unique'. MLS has certain rules that is UNHEARD of in world football, but what those critics don't understand is that in this continent, for MLS to survive to the point that it has, IT WAS NEEDED TO OPERATE WITH THIS MODEL and still needs to operate with this model to survive and take that next step. (I can go on for a number of pages on how this model helps given the crowded sports landscape but I am sure you all know).

Now by no means am I bashing MLS, its just the world we live in as fans of this league and our team. But it is what it is. Now going back to my original, if you guys remember, I was one of the first ones earlier in the year that said Poku is our best midfielder and one of our best players, and it was very peculiar why he wasn't getting playing time and I always maintained that there was more then meets the eye. Now do I know all of this as FACT? No I don't but I am telling you there is more to Poku not playing then Kreis is an idiot, how can he not play poku etc.....

By the way if you think what I am saying is CRAZY, look at how guys like Tim Liewenke talk to MLS President Mark Abbot when signing Giovinco. Look at the article, I am sure you can find it. Tim talks to Mark like Tim is running shit, that Mark better sign that contract to sign Giovinco TONIGHT. Look at what happens when MLS appoints one of their honchos to run clubs like they did with Chivas and other teams that is looking for new ownership. How can League decision makers such as Mark Abbot be on the same level as a Team president? Because in MLS they are the same really, or close to it.

Reactions: Kjbert
Ok guys allow me to explain my comment about CFG wanting to sell Poku earlier and I was told I had no idea what I was talking about, makes no sense. I can see why you would think that but hear me out.

How much money would it actually NET CFG if they sold Poku to a European club? As Midas pointed in his comment probably not much to entice CFG on selling a young promising player, and I agree with at whole heartedly. But as someone who let's just say has been exposed to MLS internal mindset from various players and figures within the league, not going to mention names, here is how MLS works.

Anytime there is a young promising player, or any player that would demand a transfer fee, MLS is very OPEN and willing to work with the player, their agent, to get them to Europe. Why because it NETS MLS single entity Money. This money is not used, but thought of to other INVESTORS in the league aka owners, as money that can grow their own FRANCHISE in whatever capacity, this isn't a CFG thing as much as an MLS thing. MLS knows, and quite frankly, I am not sure if this mindset will ever change, they know that in addition to TV contracts, expansion fee, gates, etc, another part of minimizing risk for investing into the league is transfer fee.

We are ONE COMPANY, a redbull or nycfc player in effect is a galaxy or columbus crew player in the essence that if one player can be used to benefit the league in certain ways, the internal politics will go to work to make sure that it happens. Just look at the history of young talented players in this league only dating back to a decade ago, that had european interest, there are a lot of similar cases. One I can remember very vividly and it was a similar situation with Juan Agudelo and the Redbulls. Juan made a huge splash with the USMNT and scoring that goal vs South Africa and then the great goal vs DC united, he was the next best thing, and redbull fans were clamoring for him to start and get more playing time but for some reason Hans Backe kept on benching him and not giving him a chance saying he is not fit, he still has a lot to learn etc...much like what Kreis was saying about Poku.

This is the price you pay when you are an up an coming league, like MLS, and can't fully operate on an independent level. This has got to change of course if MLS wants to take that next step, and I think it will within 7 years or so, but this is what is frustrating for us fans, as it should be. Now the rumor of Poku going to Philly on a trade this past summer. That makes sense too because if MLS HQ is forcing teams to sell their players when there is a chance of doing so, why not get something for him? And MLS devises up plans to somehow REWARD their investors/franchises for taking away one of their best talents by giving them allocation money, by giving them some of the transfer fee, etc etc. That is why the league is always tinkering with their player acquisition rules.

Honestly this is why you have folks in the NASL and even guys like Henry saying MLS is 'unique'. MLS has certain rules that is UNHEARD of in world football, but what those critics don't understand is that in this continent, for MLS to survive to the point that it has, IT WAS NEEDED TO OPERATE WITH THIS MODEL and still needs to operate with this model to survive and take that next step. (I can go on for a number of pages on how this model helps given the crowded sports landscape but I am sure you all know).

Now by no means am I bashing MLS, its just the world we live in as fans of this league and our team. But it is what it is. Now going back to my original, if you guys remember, I was one of the first ones earlier in the year that said Poku is our best midfielder and one of our best players, and it was very peculiar why he wasn't getting playing time and I always maintained that there was more then meets the eye. Now do I know all of this as FACT? No I don't but I am telling you there is more to Poku not playing then Kreis is an idiot, how can he not play poku etc.....
Thanks, this is a great breakdown, and I did remember you claiming there was more to Poku not playing a ton than Kreis being an idiot (which I still think he's an idiot, whether or not he gets a pass here).

Reactions: S1ARK5
Thanks, this is a great breakdown, and I did remember you claiming there was more to Poku not playing a ton than Kreis being an idiot (which I still think he's an idiot, whether or not he gets a pass here).

Make no mistake Soup, Kreis has made a lot of mistakes, even he himself has stated on record, this has been way more of a challenge then he initially thought. That to me screamed, WOW, wtf did I get myself into. But again he should have known.

Listen you look at all of the successful teams in this league, they are coached by guys that KNOW the league and how the league OPERATES such as Bruce Arena, Sigi, Ben Olsen, Jason Kreis, heck even Jesse Marsche, Oscar Pareja, and I am sure I am missing a couple. And that is why you also have Bruce Arena on many occasions vent and show their displeasure with the league structure to the media. Because it can get VERY FRUSTRATING. And that is why I think bringing a guy like Patrick Viera is the worst thing possible. Not because Patrick is a bad coach, by all accounts he is very good and up and coming, but long term, and for us fans, we WANT LONG TERM SUCCESSFUL STABILITY, Vieria is not the answer. And it will only be seen as someone CFG/Man City can grow to take over for Pelligrini. To me who gives a fuck about Man City. Do what is best for NYCFC and the fans.

The best thing to do is to stick with Kreis, let him run the team as he sees fit and if he falls on the sword, then so be it.

If Kreis stays, I wouldn't be shocked if Poku goes (which, of course, would be tragic). I wish we knew the bases for Kreis' thought-process regarding Poku this season, but we likely never will. Did he believe Poku was a defensive liability, did he think he was not compatible with Lampard/Pirlo, did he think his play was too unpolished or that he was one-dimensional, did he see his value as a late sub, was there a personality issue or a training issue, was it clear he was going to leave after the season so he was less inclined to feature him, none of the above, all of above, something else? I am not saying any of these bases would be justified or reasonable (I would tend to disagree with most of them), I just would love to understand what Kreis was thinking with regard to Poku. Being a fan is like playing poker, you are in a constant state of drawing conclusions based upon incomplete information.

I agree we will never know but I'm willing to speculate based on what I know about Kries and the one limitation that Poku has shown at times this year that people aren't willing to see through their POKU!!! glasses. For the record I agree with everyone that he should be starting and these things are not enough to keep him on the bench, obviously Kries disagrees. I would bet Kries' two primary reasons are:

1. Defense: Poku does check out on defense, even as a late game sub with fresh legs he rarely tracks back hard once the ball enters our defensive half. It's not any worse than any other CAM or ST but it essentially limits the ability to play him as a true box to box CM. To be honest it's annoying because the skills and athleticism are there to contribute more on D. It's not like he's some tiny super technical CAM like Juan Mata that doesn't have the strength to contribute on D. I get it he sees himself as an attacking player and wants to play that way but for a young guy trying to get on the field I would like to see him do whatever it takes to earn more time even if that means playing more defense.

2. He's too direct for Kries: This one is 100% on Kries. Poku attacks, he's always moving forward, its the best part of his game and it's helped us almost every time he's been on the field. Kries for some stupid reason doesn't want to play that way. He plays Grabavoy over Poku because over 60% of grabavoy's passes will go backward to a player less than 5' from him. Poku doesn't go backward with that ball so we doesn't fit Kries' possession system that he's unwilling to adapt no matter how talented a guy like Poku is.

Good insight, and at the very least partially true, if not 100%.

That said, I don't understand the logic on the bold part. If MLS is trying to boost a player's value, why would they shun the player to the bench?

Reactions: Christopher Jee