European Teams Chasing Poku?

Good insight, and at the very least partially true, if not 100%.

That said, I don't understand the logic on the bold part. If MLS is trying to boost a player's value, why would they shun the player to the bench?

Well in short really because Poku has already shown enough potential in a few games that there was nothing to gain by exposing him more. However, the risk would be great by exposing him, like injury or proving that Poku maybe not so ready to take that next step up. And to be fair, when Poku was given extended time, he did not show himself that great but the potential still remains. Really that is what these teams from Europe are looking for, POTENTIAL. Is said player worth the investment to grow with us in Europe and either make our money back on him when we sell him or make our first team better.

I mean really its a very kooky system and the sooner we come to terms with the MLS structure the easier it would be. I mean in what world would it be OK to trade Poku to another team in MLS? In what world was it OK to trade Agudelo for Heath Pierce? The redbulls knew Agudelo was going to be transferred to Europe so they got something what they thought might help to win MLS cup. Heath Pearce was a solid addition early but but quickly fizzled. Agudelo went to Chivas for a little bit then decided to try and get with a european team.

I just hope we can get passed this eventually. I think we will, but it will take time.

Good insight, and at the very least partially true, if not 100%.

That said, I don't understand the logic on the bold part. If MLS is trying to boost a player's value, why would they shun the player to the bench?
That's the part that doesn't make sense to me either. I know in other sports, say baseball, a team will bench a player when they are in the late stages of active trade talks so a freak injury doesn't blow the deal. But nobody rests a guy all season for that purpose.

I agree we will never know but I'm willing to speculate based on what I know about Kries and the one limitation that Poku has shown at times this year that people aren't willing to see through their POKU!!! glasses. For the record I agree with everyone that he should be starting and these things are not enough to keep him on the bench, obviously Kries disagrees. I would bet Kries' two primary reasons are:

1. Defense: Poku does check out on defense, even as a late game sub with fresh legs he rarely tracks back hard once the ball enters our defensive half. It's not any worse than any other CAM or ST but it essentially limits the ability to play him as a true box to box CM. To be honest it's annoying because the skills and athleticism are there to contribute more on D. It's not like he's some tiny super technical CAM like Juan Mata that doesn't have the strength to contribute on D. I get it he sees himself as an attacking player and wants to play that way but for a young guy trying to get on the field I would like to see him do whatever it takes to earn more time even if that means playing more defense.

2. He's too direct for Kries: This one is 100% on Kries. Poku attacks, he's always moving forward, its the best part of his game and it's helped us almost every time he's been on the field. Kries for some stupid reason doesn't want to play that way. He plays Grabavoy over Poku because over 60% of grabavoy's passes will go backward to a player less than 5' from him. Poku doesn't go backward with that ball so we doesn't fit Kries' possession system that he's unwilling to adapt no matter how talented a guy like Poku is.
And both of these are consistent with some passing and vague comments Kreis has made about Poku throughout the year.

That's the part that doesn't make sense to me either. I know in other sports, say baseball, a team will bench a player when they are in the late stages of active trade talks so a freak injury doesn't blow the deal. But nobody rests a guy all season for that purpose.
You gotta remember, CFG runs things. When they invest big time money in Lampard, Pirlo, and Mix, do you think they want to see them on the bench even if guys like Poku are showing better and give the team a better chance of winning? Maybe in year 3 or 4 it is different but in year 1 when its all about picking up steam and getting recognition and big name players, guys like Lampard, Pirlo, Mix are playing, at the expense of Poku and whoever else we think deserves more playing.

By the way, do you guys think its a coincidence that news of Yaya Toure coming to NYCFC comes out the same time that we here about Poku being traded or going to Europe? Think about that. Everything is done systematically, for the most part.

Reactions: Kjbert and sbrylski
Well in short really because Poku has already shown enough potential in a few games that there was nothing to gain by exposing him more. However, the risk would be great by exposing him, like injury or proving that Poku maybe not so ready to take that next step up. And to be fair, when Poku was given extended time, he did not show himself that great but the potential still remains. Really that is what these teams from Europe are looking for, POTENTIAL. Is said player worth the investment to grow with us in Europe and either make our money back on him when we sell him or make our first team better.

I mean really its a very kooky system and the sooner we come to terms with the MLS structure the easier it would be. I mean in what world would it be OK to trade Poku to another team in MLS? In what world was it OK to trade Agudelo for Heath Pierce? The redbulls knew Agudelo was going to be transferred to Europe so they got something what they thought might help to win MLS cup. Heath Pearce was a solid addition early but but quickly fizzled. Agudelo went to Chivas for a little bit then decided to try and get with a european team.

I just hope we can get passed this eventually. I think we will, but it will take time.

New theory: It's not that Kreis isn't enough of a "yes man," it's that CFG views him as too much of a yes man to the MLS offices. CFG wants to to push back and force MLS to move into the next phase of their existence. Kreis is too willing to play their game.

New theory: It's not that Kreis isn't enough of a "yes man," it's that CFG views him as too much of a yes man to the MLS offices. CFG wants to to push back and force MLS to move into the next phase of their existence. Kreis is too willing to play their game.

I don't think Kreis is an MLS yes man, if I understood your comment correctly. I just think he understands the way the league operates and he does what he can to survive as all coaches in this league do. It doesn't mean he likes it. I mean heck even today you have Bruce Arena, AGAIN complaining about MLS, this time with the scheduling. Believe me it is a very screwed up situation. I think we as NYCFC in general are setting ourselves up to really make it hard on attracting a top coach if Kreis leaves. Between CFG involvement, and the restrictions this league has, it will be tough to get someone worth their salt, if Kreis leaves.

Reactions: sbrylski
By the way, I share my OPINIONS on this in good faith. I could be wrong, but this is just my opinion from afar, here in Tampa. I gather all of this from my previous communication with certain members (players, and others) over the last decade or so. We as fans we have different theories on certain things based on what we see in interviews, and gameday etc. But we will never know the full picture because we are not there. We can only come up with opinions and theories etc. Which is all in good faith and respect for one another, and this is the place to share these thoughts. If not here, then where right?

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
I don't think Kreis is an MLS yes man, if I understood your comment correctly. I just think he understands the way the league operates and he does what he can to survive as all coaches in this league do. It doesn't mean he likes it. I mean heck even today you have Bruce Arena, AGAIN complaining about MLS, this time with the scheduling. Believe me it is a very screwed up situation. I think we as NYCFC in general are setting ourselves up to really make it hard on attracting a top coach if Kreis leaves. Between CFG involvement, and the restrictions this league has, it will be tough to get someone worth their salt, if Kreis leaves.

I mean in the sense that, if MLS really is planning to send Poku to Europe, Kreis just goes, "well, better trade him."

I would expect a guy like Patrick Vieira to stand up to the league. Play Poku because he gives us the best chance to win. Privately resist all efforts to sell him. And if they sell him anyway, make a public statement that the team actively resisted Poku's sale.

Why let public opinion place the blame on the team when it's the league office's decision? How will we ever force change in the league if we, one of the biggest guns in the league, just bend to the league office's will every time?

I think it's about being a leader in the league, not a follower. And Kreis is content just playing in the existing system.

I think we can agree that whomever is leaking this shit out wants Kreis out of town.
petke-mike-shield102813KF.jpg

HAHHAHA I really did laugh out loud. nice job. I would love to see Petke coach if Kreis leaves and mind you I was one of petke's critics tactically. But I am sure he has grown since then. I think his exuberance and desire would do well with this team. I just don't see Mike accepting if they do did reach out to him. Long shot but yea count me on board if that happens.

I mean in the sense that, if MLS really is planning to send Poku to Europe, Kreis just goes, "well, better trade him."

I would expect a guy like Patrick Vieira to stand up to the league. Play Poku because he gives us the best chance to win. Privately resist all efforts to sell him. And if they sell him anyway, make a public statement that the team actively resisted Poku's sale.

Why let public opinion place the blame on the team when it's the league office's decision? How will we ever force change in the league if we, one of the biggest guns in the league, just bend to the league office's will every time?

I think it's about being a leader in the league, not a follower. And Kreis is content just playing in the existing system.

I am not sure if he is content to be honest with you, and I think that is why there is talk of him leaving. I think this whole gig is a bit too much for him in terms of having many different voices. I think his comments about Lampard, Pirlo, and not really being a bit fan of either rubbed CFG the wrong way. Either way, I think we can all agree, this year has been a complete mess, starting with Lampard, all of the turnover on the field, and in the management team, to the stadium issues, to missing the playoffs, now to Kreis being fired or resigning. A complete clusterfuck of a year but yet we have 20,000 season tickets sold. Go figure.

Reactions: Jock
A complete clusterfuck of a year but yet we have 20,000 season tickets sold. Go figure.
My biggest worry is that CFG/NYCFC look at that and decide everything is going to plan. Their most important metric has probably outperformed their wildest hopes. Why fix what ain't broke.

Reactions: S1ARK5

I liked this post because you used the word "kooky"

My biggest worry is that CFG/NYCFC look at that and decide everything is going to plan. Their most important metric has probably outperformed their wildest hopes. Why fix what ain't broke.
Yea I would be worried about that too but these are smart business men, they know operating this way will not be sustainable. Heck if NYCFC has another losing season next year you can bet your ass the fans will start to not come and not renew. These are NYers we are talking about. If the team isn't winning then it won't work. The main thing for us and for the long term success of this franchise is finding the right stadium. Hopefully that will happen sooner rather then later. I think the Stadium situation is the biggest black eye right now with NYCFC.

By the way, do you guys think its a coincidence that news of Yaya Toure coming to NYCFC comes out the same time that we here about Poku being traded or going to Europe? Think about that. Everything is done systematically, for the most part.

I think it's less of a coincidence that this story resurfaced (because it's been talked about before) the same day that an interview he gave came out saying that he doesn't like the treatment he gets in England. When players make comments about being unhappy, the press here will always immediately respond by printing speculation about them leaving to join a new club. Just look at the spate of stories over the last 24 hours about Messi wanting to move to the Premier League because he's apparently grown sick of Spain.

Reactions: S1ARK5
I think it's less of a coincidence that this story resurfaced (because it's been talked about before) the same day that an interview he gave came out saying that he doesn't like the treatment he gets in England. When players make comments about being unhappy, the press here will always immediately respond by printing speculation about them leaving to join a new club. Just look at the spate of stories over the last 24 hours about Messi wanting to move to the Premier League because he's apparently grown sick of Spain.
Could very well be.