First Season Expectations

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Knowing just about nothing relating to signings and such what do you guys realistically expect in the first season of play?

The host of the Soccer Morning stream (Jason?) brought up an excellent point earlier today.

Given the involvement of MCFC and the Yankees, nobody is going to cut NYCFC any slack for being an expansion team. So they better be ready to fly out of the gates next March.

Given our resources I expect management to put together a competitive team. First year or not, I'd be disappointed if this team didn't finish over .500 and at least make the playoffs (given what the Eastern Conference is). How far they go, of course, depends on who fills the 3 DP slots.

I think the first 2 seasons, we should be playoffs or bust. Once the machine gets going and the team starts to gel, the expectation will be at least 1 title or bust. Because of the way we came to life, we'll be the heat of the mls so everyone will be coming after us and judge our performances extra hard

Assuming Houston & SKC is moved to the West, the East would New England, RBNY, Columbus, DC, Toronto, philly, Montreal, and Chicago. I don't know about "expectation" but I think making the playoffs are a reasonable goal for NYCFC to set before we have any signings or matches played.

I hope the team goes .500+ and gets into the playoffs. I would be disappointing if we couldn't get to .500 with the backing and the coaching staff we have. However, we are building a completely new team with players who have never played with each other so I would have to understand if we hit bumps in the road for the first season.

Most importantly I think as a new team a culture needs to be created by the backroom staff/coach/players. Hopefully this culture is based on positive style of play and winning!!!

I would preach some patience. NYCFC will likely have only 1 DP to start (I don't see them maxing out on DPs right off the bat). Any players we get from the MCFC system will be young and inexperienced. The players we get through the expansion draft will be castoffs. I can't see .500 no matter who runs the team.

I want to see exciting soccer with players that fight and show promise. I want a rabid fan base who sticks with NYCFC through thick and thin. I want to finish the season strong to give hope for the future.

The Yankee Stadium years should be about development for when we have our own home. I would hate for people to get disinterested in the team due to unrealistic expectations. Greatness comes through hard work.

I would preach some patience. NYCFC will likely have only 1 DP to start (I don't see them maxing out on DPs right off the bat). Any players we get from the MCFC system will be young and inexperienced. The players we get through the expansion draft will be castoffs. I can't see .500 no matter who runs the team.

I want to see exciting soccer with players that fight and show promise. I want a rabid fan base who sticks with NYCFC through thick and thin. I want to finish the season strong to give hope for the future.

The Yankee Stadium years should be about development for when we have our own home. I would hate for people to get disinterested in the team due to unrealistic expectations. Greatness comes through hard work.

During the Q&A with this staff of NYCFC I'm pretty sure one of them mentioned that most likely all 3 DP slots would be used

My expectations are very low. Regardless of the owners we are still talking about an expansion team. I don't expect to make the playoffs for at least the first two seasons.

I hope the team is successful and makes the playoffs, but honestly, the first season should be about building a relationship with the supporters while setting a tone for what the team expects itself to be.

There should be a ton of giveaways and special offers in the first few years to 1. reward people who are supporting a completely new franchise and 2. get even more new supporters. T-Shirts, meet and greets, tickets, gear, whatever. Build some excitement and show us that you appreciate us signing on. If you do, I promise we will all be just as loyal.

I would love to see some sort of bridge between Manchester City and NYCFC, as well as the Yankees. I would hope that NYCFC is going to be some sort of minor league team for City, with young players and call-ups eventually playing in the premier league, so I would love to see some sort of bridge. Maybe City comes over and plays NYCFC? Maybe a stars like Hart, Aguero or Toure com over for a three-game stints over here, whether it be as a unit or individually?

I think there is a wonderful opportunity here to expand the love of soccer, not just in NYC, but in the US as a whole, and seeing something like that would be GREAT. Would also be cool to see a double-header with the Yankees playing and then NYCFC playing later in the day.

Does NYCFC believe it should be the top team in the MLS in two to three years, or is this going to be a long process? I think the team will set the tone when the roster is built, but either way, it should be the organization's goal to build this into something bigger than a sports team. In 20 years, NYCFC could be viewed as the organization that jump-started a major US interest into soccer, and the only way that will happen is if the brand commits to being something special on and off the pitch.

I want to see the foundations of the program in our first year. If we play a young roster of players who are going to be here for the next decade so they can develop together and gel but we lose then fine. Kreis will bring an excellent system here from his earlier MLS days and with MCFC development. Short term it's going to be rough but long term we're going to see excellence.

I wonder if there's even a point to bringing several DP's in if they're going to be playing with an expansion roster? I'm not sure I want to see the team top heavy to begin with.

I can't wait to see what is coming next.

Not really expecting much out of such a new team, even with MCFC and a great program to start, hoping for such a high end might end up in some let downs. Can't expect the best!!!

I expect that they'll use the first season to build the team and establish its style of play, not to win or bust. So I don't get my hopes up to high on making the playoff even though that should still be the goal of course.

What else do I expect from NYCFC? Lots of fan engagement, freebies and fun! :D

I'm hoping for good attendance and city wide awareness. On-field results will be expected in our 2nd or 3rd season.

Season 1. Sporting-wise I just expect the players to give 100%. It's unreasonable to expect a trophy or even playoffs.

For season 1 to be a success, the fans need to come out. Maybe not selling out every game but at least have a respectable turnout.

Oh and community outreach. Lots of that too.

A lot also depends on how we fill out our roster. If, for example, we have 3 quality DPs I think everyone's expectations are going to be raised including the media, for better or worse. Regardless though everyone needs to just be patient

I agree that we need patience and most of us fans are definitely not glory hunters...we are supporting a team with zero players. I would hope we have a .500 record and a shot at the playoffs, but I won't be upset if we don't get it our first season. It doesn't hurt to hope/have expectations.

Asking what to expect on a team with zero players is impossible to answer. However we can expect
things from the director, coach and owners in the early stages of this club. We can expect that they have the money, network and experience to sign 3 great DP's. We also can expect them to fill the roster that fits Kreis's playing system. We can also expect a great coach like Kreis (who has experience with start up teams both as a player and as a coach) to get them to play his style which has proven to win.

I cannot imagine the Sheikh and the Yankees putting money into this and hiring the directors/coach without at least these expectations. It will take time for the team to gel and find form. By no means do I think it is a failure if we don't make the playoffs, but we should expect the team to be competitive and have a fighting shot for the playoffs.

We are all fans of this team which consists of no players so obviously we will all support and love this team regardless of results. However, we should hope and expect the best given the resources we have.

There is no reason to think that they cant be good year one. This isnt like most other sports where you rely soley on the expansion draft and entry draft. They have the ability to bring players in from all over the world and should have a head start on scouting do to the shared resources with MCFC. IF they get 2 or 3 quality players in the expansionn draft, 4 young promising loanees and 3-4 DP's along with some non DP signings they should be able to compete at a high level right away. Reyna said they plan on brining new talent to the league rather than poaching from the expansion draft as he thinks it important not to dilute the quality of the league which I agree with 100%