Formation Speculation

Mix preferred not to play in the league rather than going to live in Columbus.

I didn't say it made sense for Mix. But it makes sense for NYCFC and it makes sense for Columbis because they are going to have to double Kamara's salary and go north of $1 Million.

I think Mix is a good player (overpaid for what he is in MLS and likely doesn't crack our starting XI this year) but you guys are smoking crack if you think we can get Kei for Mix straight up. Columbus would be insane for doing that trade. KK was arguably a top 3-4 player in MLS last year and easily the top striker in the league. You're looking at something like GAM/TAM + Mix + future 1st round draft pick at a minimum for Kei. Even then I don't think Columbus takes it. Don't they already have Trapp (23) and Tchani (25) as their CMs? Don't think Mix pushes either of those guys out of a starting spot...not to mention they're on much better contracts.

Also - we couldn't pay Kei north of $1M like he wants under our current roster construction. Think TAM only lets us pay down from below $1M. He'd require a DP spot. Only possible if we cut Pirlo or Lampard. And if we decided to go that route, we might as well try to get Zlatan this summer.

I think Mix is a good player (overpaid for what he is in MLS and likely doesn't crack our starting XI this year) but you guys are smoking crack if you think we can get Kei for Mix straight up. Columbus would be insane for doing that trade. KK was arguably a top 3-4 player in MLS last year and easily the top striker in the league. You're looking at something like GAM/TAM + Mix + future 1st round draft pick at a minimum for Kei. Even then I don't think Columbus takes it. Don't they already have Trapp (23) and Tchani (25) as their CMs? Don't think Mix pushes either of those guys out of a starting spot...not to mention they're on much better contracts.

Also - we couldn't pay Kei north of $1M like he wants under our current roster construction. Think TAM only lets us pay down from below $1M. He'd require a DP spot. Only possible if we cut Pirlo or Lampard. And if we decided to go that route, we might as well try to get Zlatan this summer.

Kei Kamara is seriously considering leaving MLS again.

We have $800k of TAM. You could theoretically pay a guy 1.27 Million and still get him below DP level.

We have $800k of TAM. You could theoretically pay a guy 1.27 Million and still get him below DP level.
That would be so cool. But theoretically if this were to happen, I'm not saying it is and I doubt it would happen, how would you play villa and Kamara both in the center of a 433? Would you slide over villa out of position? And we would have two of the best goal scorers in the MLS... We can dream...

That would be so cool. But theoretically if this were to happen, I'm not saying it is and I doubt it would happen, how would you play villa and Kamara both in the center of a 433? Would you slide over villa out of position? And we would have two of the best goal scorers in the MLS... We can dream...

Villa-----Kamara-----Shelton
Lampard-----Pirlo-----Poku

FWIW, you can't sign a guy for over $1 million and use TAM on him.

Also, we had $800k (new TAM) + $100k (original TAM) + $300k (original TAM amounts from future years that can be accelerated) to begin the offseason, but we've already used some of it. The $100k would expire this year if we hadn't used it (but we have). The $800k portion can be rolled over into next year if we don't use it.

Reactions: Paul and Shawn S
I think PV might want #99 at RW instead of Shelton. I think Mix's roomie will be in just as much of a fight for PT as Mix is.
I definitely agree Shelton will need to win minutes. So far, all we've seen is that, early last year, he was able to be an impact sub. And that he's fast, but with suspect technical skills. Nice change of pace player for us right now, but he needs to up his game if he's a starter.

I want him to succeed because he is young, an engaging and charismatic personality and has some raw physical abilities that are captivating. But I do worry that the places where his game is lacking may be hard to teach.

I definitely agree Shelton will need to win minutes. So far, all we've seen is that, early last year, he was able to be an impact sub. And that he's fast, but with suspect technical skills. Nice change of pace player for us right now, but he needs to up his game if he's a starter.

I want him to succeed because he is young, an engaging and charismatic personality and has some raw physical abilities that are captivating. But I do worry that the places where his game is lacking may be hard to teach.

Eh. I think he is actually a very good technical player. He lacks soccer intelligence and finishing. Both things only come through more reps. He didn't get reps last year because he was hurt. I think he will be a guy that, come October, everyone in the league will be raving about much like we did with Poku. He's that talented - he just needs to play.

Eh. I think he is actually a very good technical player. He lacks soccer intelligence and finishing. Both things only come through more reps. He didn't get reps last year because he was hurt. I think he will be a guy that, come October, everyone in the league will be raving about much like we did with Poku. He's that talented - he just needs to play.
Maybe. I hope you are right. It is the first touch and general facility with the ball in close spaces that worries me.

Damn, are we watching the same guy? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious why you think he's a good technical player!

Damn, are we watching the same guy? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious why you think he's a good technical player!

I actually think he has a very good first touch. I think he can create space with the ball at his feet.

I think he is bad at finishing. His positioning on the pitch looks to be vastly improved judging by his Puerto Rico game performance.

I actually think he has a very good first touch. I think he can create space with the ball at his feet.

I think he is bad at finishing. His positioning on the pitch looks to be vastly improved judging by his Puerto Rico game performance.

Haha I don't see it at all, but I hope I'm wrong!

Reactions: BEC SPK and Kjbert