Formation Speculation

With the limited action that Frank has seen this preseason, it wouldn't surprise me to see him on the bench for the first couple games.

Here is where I am leaning this year.

- I still like Villa and Poku playing from the outside to take advantage of their ability to run at defenders and lay off.
- The midfield pinches tight to allow the backs to provide width in the attack.
- Lampard presses the most forward, allowing Mix and Pirlo to lay back to distribute and defend or let Mix charge forward if there is an opportunity.

NYCFC-formation-tactics.png

Last edited:

- I still like Villa and Poku playing from the outside to take advantage of their ability to run at defenders and lay off.
- Lampard presses the most forward, allowing Mix and Pirlo to lay back to distribute and defend or let Mix charge forward if there is an opportunity.

That's probably the best way to get everyone on the field...

It's certainly the line up the forces the most fan favorites on the field at the same time. The problem is that it will get killed defensively. Watch how often TT and Shelton track back to cover when the CMs or the FBs attack during the Montreal game. Neither Villa nor Poku have shown a willingness to provide that kind of cover.

Last game both Poku and Mullins got their chance to show what they can do as starters against relatively weak competition and neither impressed. Excuses can be made for both, Mullins had poor service and Poku seems to be struggling to adjust to the CM role PV sees for him. Regardless I think they are starting to look like they will be used as impact subs.

Reactions: Kjbert

Who's Mullet? By position it seems like Mullins, but isn't McNamara the Mullet?
Does Mullins even have a mullet?
Sideburns, yes, mutton chops, maybe, even a bit of Wolverine going on, but no mullet that I see.
Is Mullins the Mullet just because of his name?
Do we need a thread to keep track of nicknames?

Reactions: Konrad and gbservis
Shelton looked VERY good the other night. And he is also a willing defender (or at least willing to track back).

I'm telling you - there's Gyasi Zardes in there. He's just starting to put it all together. He just needs reps.

Reactions: gbservis
Preseason has taught us:

1. PV intends to play Villa in the middle
2. We are going to play a 4-3-3
3. PV sees Poku as a CM

I think our day one line up is something close to this:

upload_2016-2-22_10-7-19.png

- Mattarrita's defensive abilities help cover for Lampard.
- Mix, TT/Shelton, and Iroala do a lot of over lapping and covering for each other
- Mix plays with typical Mix energy to cover Pirlo
- Lurch upsets Saunders for the starting spot
- Poku subs for Lampard when we need goals
- Lopez/Bravo sub for Pirlo when we need to protect a lead
- Mullins subs for Villa
- If needed Mattarrita can slot in a LB and TT can play on the left.

Preseason has taught us:

1. PV intends to play Villa in the middle
2. We are going to play a 4-3-3
3. PV sees Poku as a CM

I think our day one line up is something close to this:

View attachment 4164

- Mattarrita's defensive abilities help cover for Lampard.
- Mix, TT/Shelton, and Iroala do a lot of over lapping and covering for each other
- Mix plays with typical Mix energy to cover Pirlo
- Lurch upsets Saunders for the starting spot
- Poku subs for Lampard when we need goals
- Lopez/Bravo sub for Pirlo when we need to protect a lead
- Mullins subs for Villa
- If needed Mattarrita can slot in a LB and TT can play on the left.
Did martinez look like a capable starter to you the other night? Looked like crap to me. I'd play Taylor over him 10 out of 10 times if I had the chance

Did martinez look like a capable starter to you the other night? Looked like crap to me. I'd play Taylor over him 10 out of 10 times if I had the chance

Very true. I am admittedly forcing Mataritta into that LW spot when I should just be happy that we have a solid LB. I worry about depth on the wings, outside of TT and Shelton we seem very thin at those spots. Hopefully Harrison gets healthy soon, is a good as advertised and can play LW (lot's of ifs). If either TT or Shelton go down I worry that we are going to see a lot more Ballouchy than anyone wants.

Very true. I am admittedly forcing Mataritta into that LW spot when I should just be happy that we have a solid LB. I worry about depth on the wings, outside of TT and Shelton we seem very thin at those spots. Hopefully Harrison gets healthy soon, is a good as advertised and can play LW (lot's of ifs). If either TT or Shelton go down I worry that we are going to see a lot more Ballouchy than anyone wants.
McNamara could probably fill in at LW. I would love to see Poku tried at RW in this system. Let him just get the ball and attack from the right and let Iraola get behind him to hit crosses in. I think with a better defense this year that Brillant provides we have less to worry about on the counter attack.

Who's Mullet? By position it seems like Mullins, but isn't McNamara the Mullet?
Does Mullins even have a mullet?
Sideburns, yes, mutton chops, maybe, even a bit of Wolverine going on, but no mullet that I see.
Is Mullins the Mullet just because of his name?
Do we need a thread to keep track of nicknames?

Ha! Yes, it is meant to be Mullins - and it's a bad nickname, and I thought I had gone back and changed it before posting. Let me see if I can fix.

That's probably the best way to get everyone on the field...

Yes, that was the overriding concern - let's find a way to play our best 11. I agree that there are concerns about defensive cover when the fullbacks press forward.

I think if we were to get desperate, Villa can slide out to LW and Mullins at CF. I know PV wants to play Villa in the center, but I think this would be a viable option if we ran into some injury issues.

I like that except for Bravo at CM. He didn't look great to me Saturday night, but I am not sure if he is a CM. You wouldn't put Lamp in there?

I really wonder what's up with Lamps. We all seem to be operating under the impressions that they are just being cautious with his min to make sure he is fresh for the season.But why is 36 year old Prilo playing so much in preseason while 37 year old Lampard sits. Wouldn't you want him to at least get some time with the team?

I really wonder what's up with Lamps. We all seem to be operating under the impressions that they are just being cautious with his min to make sure he is fresh for the season.But why is 36 year old Prilo playing so much in preseason while 37 year old Lampard sits. Wouldn't you want him to at least get some time with the team?

I agree that he has to have some kind of minor knock.