Formation Speculation

Since he said he wants width from his fullbacks and for the wings to pinch in. He has played Poku in the CM role in Puerto Rico and in Florida, but I wonder if Poku would be better suited to a wing position in this formation, and have Mix play the CM. PV was yelling at Poku frequently in the Florida game about his positioning, and as others have pointed out a midfield three of Pirlo, Lamps and Poku is asking to get abused.

For better or worse, I think it seems PV looks at Poku and sees Yaya. I think he'll be a CM 100% of the time.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
I just cannot wrap my head around Mix as a 3/4 of a million bench player. he is going to have to run the 442 then. 433 doesn't work.

He'll get more than enough time. He'll probably come in every game he doesn't start in the 60th. Plus he'll start 1 out of every 3 games at a minimum, which corresponds to sitting Lampard and Pirlo each 1 out of every 6 games, which is probably an extremely conservative estimate.

He's the top backup at 3 positions, the first off the bench in most games, and the first player inserted into the lineup when we play an alternate formation with 4 midfielders. I'm not worried in the slightest about his playing time.

Besides, once the team is assembled, their salaries don't factor in. Vieira can't play people based on how much they make, he has to play them based on their play and fit in the best formation.

He'll get more than enough time. He'll probably come in every game he doesn't start in the 60th. Plus he'll start 1 out of every 3 games at a minimum, which corresponds to sitting Lampard and Pirlo each 1 out of every 6 games, which is probably an extremely conservative estimate.

He's the top backup at 3 positions, the first off the bench in most games, and the first player inserted into the lineup when we play an alternate formation with 4 midfielders. I'm not worried in the slightest about his playing time.

Besides, once the team is assembled, their salaries don't factor in. Vieira can't play people based on how much they make, he has to play them based on their play and fit in the best formation.
Mix is a quarterback type player, I don't see what impact he can provide coming in at 60'. He needs to play the whole game. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Kjbert
Mix is a quarterback type player, I don't see what impact he can provide coming in at 60'. He needs to play the whole game. Just my opinion.

Agree to disagree. I see him as a versatile guy who can be above average at CM, average at CAM and CDM, and below average on the wings. A fine starter, but an amazing super sub.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
What I'm worried about is how incredibly disciplined our back four and the midfield will need to be in positioning. The three on the front line can just make runs all day long, but the fullbacks will need to be ON POINT. It can be done - but it's going to take discipline dialed all the way up to 11.

We have evidence that PV is stressing this. If you watch the Fifa and chill video the team posted at one point RJ jokes "make sure you hold your shape or Patrick's going to get mad" It's a small sound bite but it seems like it's something already being stressed at camp.

Reactions: adam
We have evidence that PV is stressing this. If you watch the Fifa and chill video the team posted at one point RJ jokes "make sure you hold your shape or Patrick's going to get mad" It's a small sound bite but it seems like it's something already being stressed at camp.

I get the feeling this is also a big change from Kreis.

Reactions: adam
*pokes head out of cardboard box* Ahem. I actually think RJ is better than Andoni, and should be starting. *returns to box*

I think RJ looked better than him because (1) he was aggressive up the field and stood out because of it and (2) he looked way more physically fit than Iraola.

If Iraola indeed was limited by health, that would help (2), which in turn would help (1). In addition, as per the discussion above, I would have a ton more confidence in Iraola being disciplined in positioning than Allen next year.

Reactions: BEC SPK and adam
I get the feeling this is also a big change from Kreis.

What do you mean? Are you saying when you have a newly formed team where the players aren't familiar with each other it might be a bad idea to play a super fluid midfield set up where the coach wants everyone to float all over the place. I wonder if this would result in a team that's bad at holding it's shape and regularly gets caught out of position on counter attacks? :)

*pokes head out of cardboard box* Ahem. I actually think RJ is better than Andoni, and should be starting. *returns to box*

It's possible if Iraola is washed up but I want to see what he can do rested, uninjured and with a full cap before I'd go that far. The guy was a legit RB in La Liga for years I don't think we have seen enough of him to write him off just yet.

Apropos of nothing, I would like to see a 4-4-2.

Allow Villa to play left and center. Get a CDM in there to babysit Andrea. Allow Frank and Kwadmo to get in the box early and often.

Villa-TT/KS
Lampard-Bravo/Lopez-Pirlo-Poku
Matarita-White/Mena-Brillant-Irola
Casillas/Saunders

Mix can be a midfield super sub. It's not that his salary is so high. It's that everyone else's except for the DPs is so low.

Apropos of nothing, I would like to see a 4-4-2.

Allow Villa to play left and center. Get a CDM in there to babysit Andrea. Allow Frank and Kwadmo to get in the box early and often.

Villa-TT/KS
Lampard-Bravo/Lopez-Pirlo-Poku
Matarita-White/Mena-Brillant-Irola
Casillas/Saunders

Mix can be a midfield super sub. It's not that his salary is so high. It's that everyone else's except for the DPs is so low.
Mix sits for an SKC castoff and a guy no one knows anything about except he played on a team we've all heard of from argentina.

A lot of teams are moving to a 4-3-3 this year (Seattle, Philly, Houston, RSL, probably more), so here's a look at how we would have to stay disciplined to defend it.

Here is our attack below, with the ball at Pirlo's feet. In my opinion, two of the following three players need to stay positioned to defend: our fullbacks and one midfielder. I drew out Matarrita making a run forward and then drew in the man marks necessary to at least attempt to defend the counter attack. I didn't not give a man mark to Pirlo, because it's better to consider him an attacking player no matter where he is on the field.

NYCFC-Away-team-formation-tactics.png

We would still be susceptible to counter attacks if the opponents CM gets a good release and beats Lampard or Matarrita down the field. Also note that Lampard and Poku would probably be close to interchangeable, on that diagram, depending who has the run forward available.

I just cannot wrap my head around Mix as a 3/4 of a million bench player. he is going to have to run the 442 then. 433 doesn't work.

What did I miss watching Mix last year that means we have to blow up our entire tactical approach just to accommodate him in the side? I've got a lot of love for the guy, but frankly for large parts of the year he played like a fringe player, so I don't see any problem with treating him as such.