Formation Speculation

With the final preseason game concluded, this looks to be our primary and alternate formation and lineup:

Primary (4-3-3)

NYCFC-formation-tactics.png

Alternate (3-4-3)

I have Lampard in there because he will be when healthy, but Poku and McNamara are the potential starters while he's out. Seems Lopez is the next midfielder in the pecking order.

So I think the bench will look like this:

GK Johansen
D Hernandez/Allen
D/M Bravo
M Poku
M McNamara
M Lopez
F Mullins

That's weak for wingers, but I'm honestly not sure who is backing up those spots. Harrison, when he's healthy, might make the bench right away, partially out of need.

I think we can go to war with these lineups. I'm nervous about finishing power up front aside from Villa, and our defense is still liable to be leaky at times, but I think we accomplished something this preseason - we have a team identity. Yay.

With the final preseason game concluded, this looks to be our primary and alternate formation and lineup:

Primary (4-3-3)

Alternate (3-4-3)

I have Lampard in there because he will be when healthy, but Poku and McNamara are the potential starters while he's out. Seems Lopez is the next midfielder in the pecking order.

GK Johansen
D Hernandez/Allen
D/M Bravo
M Poku
M McNamara
M Lopez
F Mullins

That's weak for wingers, but I'm honestly not sure who is backing up those spots. Harrison, when he's healthy, might make the bench right away, partially out of need.

I think we can go to war with these lineups. I'm nervous about finishing power up front aside from Villa, and our defense is still liable to be leaky at times, but I think we accomplished something this preseason - we have a team identity. Yay.

That midfield is absolute shit in terms of defending.

Primary (4-3-3)

Alternate (3-4-3)

GK Johansen
D Hernandez/Allen
D/M Bravo
M Poku
M McNamara
M Lopez
F Mullins

You're right. Last year we never really knew what the team would look like or what they would do come kickoff. This year we know who will likely start come 03/06 and what formation we will be playing.

Reactions: Kjbert
If you don't tbink there is finishing power, then Lampard needs to play (when healthy). He showed last fall he can still make those late runs and finish.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
It was incredible to watch the speed in which the team made decisions and get the ball forward last night. So nice to have guys who win 1v1 battles and can outrun defenders for balls. Big difference in having Mix and Pirlo behind the forwards as opposed to Jacobson and Grabavoy.

Based on preseason performance this is what I would love to see. White was great with the ball and passing out of the back. A great compliment to Brillant. Id like to see what Bravo can do as a pure center defensive midfielder next to pirlo. Let him break up the plays and win the ball and cover for Pirlo. Lampard playing high up the field right behind mullins. Mullins has shown great work ethic and and ability to score. Let villa drift out wide to the left and allow him to cut in and score or create. This allows less pressure on him and more freedom for him to play.
Obviously Mix is best used in the center. But he is still solid out wide. He was useless the way Kreis played him though. Allow him to play freely and drift and put in some crosses for mullins and or hold up the ball for lampard to make a late run in the box and score.

Johansen has shown he is a solid shot stopper and much better distributor of the ball than saunders. He deserves the start for me.

Bench : Saunders, Mena, Martinez, Jacobson, McNamara, Shelton, Poku

sporadic players- Taylor, Harrison, Lopez, Hernandez, Allen, Ballouchy, Brandt

Based on preseason performance this is what I would love to see. White was great with the ball and passing out of the back. A great compliment to Brillant. Id like to see what Bravo can do as a pure center defensive midfielder next to pirlo. Let him break up the plays and win the ball and cover for Pirlo. Lampard playing high up the field right behind mullins. Mullins has shown great work ethic and and ability to score. Let villa drift out wide to the left and allow him to cut in and score or create. This allows less pressure on him and more freedom for him to play.
Obviously Mix is best used in the center. But he is still solid out wide. He was useless the way Kreis played him though. Allow him to play freely and drift and put in some crosses for mullins and or hold up the ball for lampard to make a late run in the box and score.

Johansen has shown he is a solid shot stopper and much better distributor of the ball than saunders. He deserves the start for me.

The left side of that formation is going to get crushed on the counter if mataritta is caught up feild.

Reactions: Kjbert

I know you caveat this with "Mix is better centrally", but I still do not understand why people want to put Mix out on the wing.

And we really do not know completely yet what we have with Bravo. Why start him at CDM in order to play Mix out of position? Let Bravo sub in and prove himself there before we play one of our better players back out on the wing.

Additionally, barring injuries, I just don't see Villa playing on the LW. He isn't going to provide the defensive cover and playing both him and Mix on the wings severely limits our speed out there. I like Mullins a lot, but with this formation, he is best coming off the bench.

I know you caveat this with "Mix is better centrally", but I still do not understand why people want to put Mix out on the wing.

Because we have an overabundance of central midfielders and Mix is the most versatile of the group.

Not that I necessarily think its worth the sacrifice to play him outside, but that's the rationale. Basically, you are either sitting one of our quality CMs in favor of a guy like Taylor or Shelton or playing Mix out of position.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Because we have an overabundance of central midfielders and Mix is the most versatile of the group.

Not that I necessarily think its worth the sacrifice to play him outside, but that's the rationale. Basically, you are either sitting one of our quality CMs in favor of a guy like Taylor or Shelton or playing Mix out of position.
Yeah, I do understand he is our most versatile, but putting Mix on the wing severely limits our speed out there that Khiry or TT could provide.

Additionally, I just haven't seen enough from Bravo (yet) to warrant playing Mix out of position to get Bravo in there.

Reactions: gbservis
Any of those lineups doesn't have Jacobson next to Pirlo. That is a big win. Never got the coach goggles that Kreis had for AJ last year.

If Taylor brings something that is also a big bonus as he was hurt all last year. It feels like a lot of flotsam was sent out to sea from last year's lineup (Jacobson, Wingert, Grabavoy, KWS, Nemec, Calle) and at least more promising/younger/better pedigree players have been brought in.

Give it about one game before we find the new players to start complaining about.