Frédéric Brillant [Defender]

hey I'll admit, I trashed him. He was shaky, expensive (salary and Int. spot) and a gateway drug for PV to make soul crushing substitutions. But when a guy sacrifices his safety for the team he the credit he deserves and moves out the basement of the hate list. Continue showing grit and perform and ill start to be disappointed when he's not in the 11.
He's still a bit expensive for his talent level IMO, I just don't think he's been nearly as bad as everyone thinks. Most of his performances this year which have had bad results have been in f'ed up formations where we completely change things or just concede possession.

I don't think he's someone we need to replace midseason, he's a tall, aerial threat CB who knows the system. Bringing in a new CB that doesn't know the system runs the risk of having another Jeferson Mena. We could all see the difference in Chanot last year when he came on mid-way vs this year.

I'd love to be able to shed his salary next season and grab someone else, but lets not mess with it now.

I know some of you (read: ALL OF US) have a tendency to be critical, but hoping we can all pause and lift a cap to Freddy, who in my opinion has been an absolute rock the past few matches.

If you're out there, Freddy, keep killing it!

I know some of you (read: ALL OF US) have a tendency to be critical, but hoping we can all pause and lift a cap to Freddy, who in my opinion has been an absolute rock the past few matches.

hes been excellent....i guess its what we expected from him last year, maybe it took a year to "adjust" to MLS ?

Reactions: Ulrich
hes been excellent....i guess its what we expected from him last year, maybe it took a year to "adjust" to MLS ?
The team around him is a lot better and understands the system a lot better. We love trashing individuals on this forum.

Reactions: Ulrich

We complained about him during the 2-2 tie vs. New England. But a CB is not supposed to be thrown into a match in the last five minutes. He's supposed to start from the beginning. And since has done that since Chanot's injury he has been good. He hasn't had to face TFC or Atlanta, but he's been doing his job.

I made it real quick using whoscored.com data.

i see, the hope now is that when chanot comes back ( if he comes back now....or keep him as bench option) it can keep the defensive consistency going

i see, the hope now is that when chanot comes back ( if he comes back now....or keep him as bench option) it can keep the defensive consistency going
Hopefully Chanot comes back soon and he/Brillant gel as well as Callens/Brillant have, because Callens has played every minute of every game this year, while taking a beating at times, and I’m nervy that he’s riding the red line of over use - some CB’s can do it, and hopefully he can, but I’m hoping we are close to having 3 CBs that can all play on a moments notice. I do feel much better that Brillant has figured out the best way for him personally to implement PV’s work from the back style.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Hopefully Chanot comes back soon and he/Brillant gel as well as Callens/Brillant have, because Callens has played every minute of every game this year, while taking a beating at times, and I’m nervy that he’s riding the red line of over use - some CB’s can do it, and hopefully he can, but I’m hoping we are close to having 3 CBs that can all play on a moments notice. I do feel much better that Brillant has figured out the best way for him personally to implement PV’s work from the back style.

i want to believe not playing in FIFA weeks helps him recover...but who knows with callens

i want to believe not playing in FIFA weeks helps him recover...but who knows with callens
There was a week that people were unhappy Callens wasn’t called up, and my thoughts were the exact opposite because that rest break is critical.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
There was a week that people were unhappy Callens wasn’t called up, and my thoughts were the exact opposite because that rest break is critical.
It really is an odd balance. You want your club players to be recognized for their play and play for their international teams, drawing attention to our squad, etc., etc.

But then, really, you don't want them to play at all and be well-rested and healthy for your team, lol.

(and by the way, "you" is general and includes me)