Grabavoy

Or he was waived and we are hoping that another team takes him and his contract in the Re-Entry Draft.

Remember also that we picked him up in the Expansion Draft. I'm not sure whether players get new contracts when picked, but I suspect we just stepped into the shoes of RSL, so if that contract only had one year then it is done.
I suspect the same. It makes sense that you would only have the contractual position assigned to you, as that allows more clarity for the clubs drafting. If it didn't function as an assignment, there wouldn't be any teeth in the deal, as a player could hold the new team hostage to an extent. It would render moot the excerpt below from an MLS-provided expansion draft rules explanation - why specifically grant the right to renegotiate to clubs if the clubs were being forced to renegotiate.

http://m.chicago-fire.com/news/2014...rules-governing-decembers-mls-expansion-draft

Right to Negotiate: NYCFC and Orlando City SC will have the right to renegotiate a draft player’s salary (either up or down) without having to place such player on waivers or giving his previous club a right of first refusal.

All of that to say that your assumption is the only one that makes sense given the exigencies of MLS roster building rules

LMAO! Grabafox is trash but he's one of us. I won't beat him up anymore; I'll just say that was the right decision. Provided he's actually been cut, of course.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Reyna: "Ok, Patrick, here's the roster from last year. I've mentioned some of the players to you before, but let's do a comprehensive review of everyone listed there."
*PV scans roster page*
PV: "Who is this Grabavoy?"
Reyna: "Ahh, Ned. Kreis told me that he needed to have him as part of his team, even selected him first in the expansion draft."
PV: "What position does he play?"
Reyna: "Midfield, but not defensive midfield. Holds the ball, no speed, circulates ball back and sideways. But Kreis said he needed him to play his style."
PV: "Got it. Out he goes. Moving on."

rs_403x219-141211122133-cage_bliss.gif

You're free now Ned enjoy the clean air of Salt Lake

Hudson river blue tweeted a bunch of grabavoy was injured things last night. With a snarky tone.

This and the mix article, they have to have passed eos as the worst?
You can't go holding yourself out there as an informed party writing stupid shit like this. $215,000 isn't cap friendly by any means. You don't hold onto a player in the locker because he "knows" the league. That entire "knows the league" argument is lazy and pathetic. If you want to talk about front office and GM's absolutely I can buy into that theory. But to hold your franchise hostage because you want a back up or spot starter who "knows the league" please there are plenty of other options that make more sense. You don't need to pay luxury prices at the thrift shop.

This is interesting. JK just stated, actually sung, his thoughts about Ned:

Ned, the two of us need look no more,
We both found what we were looking for.
With a friend to call my own,
I'll never be alone, and you, my friend, will see,
You've got a friend in me.
Ned, you're always running here and there,
You feel you're not wanted anywhere.
If you ever look behind and don't like what you find
There's something you should know, you've got a place to go.
I used to say I and me, now it's us, now it's we.
I used to say I and me, now it's us, now it's we.
Ned most people would turn you away;
I don't listen to a word they say.
They don't see you as I do;
I wish they would try to'
I'm sure they'd think again if they had a friend like Ned,
A friend like Ned
Like Ned
Like Ned

You can't go holding yourself out there as an informed party writing stupid shit like this. $215,000 isn't cap friendly by any means. You don't hold onto a player in the locker because he "knows" the league. That entire "knows the league" argument is lazy and pathetic. If you want to talk about front office and GM's absolutely I can buy into that theory. But to hold your franchise hostage because you want a back up or spot starter who "knows the league" please there are plenty of other options that make more sense. You don't need to pay luxury prices at the thrift shop.
gritty? from falling down and getting dirt in his hair?

Just seems that their were larger contracts but perhaps not. If he was bought out, that was a awful nice retirement package NYCFC just gave him.
Ned started in the League during the 2003 season, so he conceivably could have had (3) 4-year contracts with the last one expiring at the end of this season. There could have been option-years that were exercised and/or shorter 2nd & 3rd contracts. I'd wager NYCFC didn't cut him and instead decided not to exercise an option/resign him.

Example- Jeb Brovsky was drafted in 2011 - 5 years ago. That would be a 4-year contract and the option year (2015) was exercised.

I bet if we look at all of the MIA players, we'd find they're also conceivably done with 4-year interval contracts. I doubt Mena would have been offered a 1-year contract, so if he was cut it could have been the buy-out clause. I cannot figure out Kwame as he entered in 2010, so I'm not sure how the math works out there - 4-year contract and a 2-year (which is not the MLS norm).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and BEC SPK
Not that Grabavoy's the greatest player out there. He isn't. But he's cap-friendly, has MLS experience, & he's a gritty player.

— Hudson River Blue (@hudsonriverblue) November 13, 2015

gritty? from falling down and getting dirt in his hair?
Math is math, and $215K is a big hit on any team..... how exactly did HRB reason that Ned was Cap-friendly???

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Would be interesting if Kreis got hired elsewhere and the "RSL crew" followed him

I do not think you'll see Wingert following Kreis out the door for a few reasons: he's more versatile, plays position(s) of need and is more serviceable on the field than Grabavoy; he has been in training all week; and he's a Long Island boy. Unless Kreis gets a new job and then trades for Wingert I think we will have him on the roster next season.

Edit: I forgot to mention that he's a guy you build a team around obviously.

Last edited:
I do not think you'll see Wingert following Kreis out the door for a few reasons: he's more versatile, plays position(s) of need and is more serviceable on the field than Grabavoy; he has been in training all week; and he's a Long Island boy. Unless Kreis gets a new job and then trades for Wingert I think we will have him on the roster next season.
Yeah we have zero depth in the back even with him. However it could just be that he has another year on his deal and we can't get rid of him.

Reactions: Paul