Grabavoy

Ok well he's an idiot so I will move on. Back to Grabavoy I think it's best for him and us to move on. I am certainly guilty of pushing the anti-Grabs movement. Not that he's an awful player or guy. I think he's a good guy and average player however it's economics. What you get for what you pay for doesn't add up. I understood the move when Kreis took him and then playing him early. Now in hindsight it looks like an awful move but back then you got a savy vet who knows you as a coach... ok got it. However after awhile it was evident that there were better options available. Like Kries... it didn't work out and I am happy that we move on from both parties.

Apparently we're all stupid and there is a huge market for expensive, old, slow mid fielders. How on earth did RSL reject all of those trade offers for him and let him get away for nothing in the expansion draft....
If his contract is presumably UP, it's not technically cutting him - it's that he's not being resigned or having an option exercised. And if he's out of contract, a team cannot trade a player since they don't own his rights.

Too often HRB flies by the seat of his pants and writes out of knee-jerk emotion without rationalizing everything.

Then again, maybe we did cut him for nothing, and I'm OK with that too.

A couple of worthy questions here.

Do we still want him on the team? Even if you don't like him starting, is he still worth keeping as a backup and MLS veteran?

If we don't want him on the team, is cutting him the best way to get rid of him. Could we have gotten something for him in a trade?
I was a little surprised the toe thing didn't change people's opinion of Ned. Maybe it was too late.

There is probably a MLS role for him somewhere, but not on a team with so many mids, and not at that salary.

Reactions: Kjbert
I will beforever indebted to Grabavoy for two moments this season. First, he did feed Villa the ball for the first home goal against NE in March. That was a nice play and a cool moment. Second, him coming up with a double against San Jose at the peak of Grabavoy hate has to rank as one of the most shocking and ironic moments of the season. It is hard to not find humor in it.

In the end, he was a lightning rod for a lot of our frustrations about the team generally (some of which was deserved, some of which was probably unfair), but the combination of performance (or lack thereof) and salary means that he is the most obvious guy to get rid of and so this is a good step in the right direction.

Last edited:
I was a little surprised the toe thing didn't change people's opinion of Ned. Maybe it was too late.

There is probably a MLS role for him somewhere, but not on a team with so many mids, and not at that salary.

The report that he had a broken toe for most of the season was also new to me, and I am surprised it hasn't gotten more attention on the boards. Does anyone else have more information on this?

If the toe was really holding him back, it doesn't justify Kreis starting Grabavoy over more productive players, but it does raise the question of whether it really makes sense to release him. It also might explain why Ned is not in training.

A couple of worthy questions here.

Do we still want him on the team? Even if you don't like him starting, is he still worth keeping as a backup and MLS veteran?

If we don't want him on the team, is cutting him the best way to get rid of him. Could we have gotten something for him in a trade?
I think depending on how the whole roster shapes up, that Grabavoy can be a serviceable backup. I think he he still has a couple of more years in MLS, then off to the NASL for him. The fact that he played major minutes for us this year was a crime. He is serviceable at best in a backup role.

Apparently we're all stupid and there is a huge market for expensive, old, slow mid fielders. How on earth did RSL reject all of those trade offers for him and let him get away for nothing in the expansion draft....

Obviously he sucked last year, but he was a decent MLS starter in 2014. He's not worth the salary, but a new team may be able to sign him to a (much) cheaper contract and still get some production out of him especially if that injury was really keeping him back.

He's probably going where JK goes.

I'm glad you said that because it seems s lot of people are taking it as confirmed that he's gone. I'm probably more favorably disposed to Wynalda than most but I'm not taking his tweet as dispositive.
Wynalda is a prick who half-cocked shoots off his mouth all the time. He's also almost always right. Going back to a lot of his pre-WC opinions on the US set-up, which I took to be sour grapes (and that could be accurate), he actually was calling out a lot of the problems that are just now getting attention from fans and more affable media types. Given that and his willingness to criticize the American-side of the NYCFC set-up when no one else would dare, I have come to have a pretty positive view of him.

Wynalda is a guy who doesn't mind having and stating opinions and making enemies. Count me as one who enjoys that sort of presence. Hell, just count me as one.

I
Wynalda is a prick who half-cocked shoots off his mouth all the time. He's also almost always right. Going back to a lot of his pre-WC opinions on the US set-up, which I took to be sour grapes (and that could be accurate), he actually was calling out a lot of the problems that are just now getting attention from fans and more affable media types. Given that and his willingness to criticize the American-side of our set-up when no one else would dare, I have come to have a pretty positive view of him.

Wynalda is a guy who doesn't mind having and stating opinions and making enemies. Count me as one who enjoys that sort of presence. Hell, just count me as one.

I completely agree with you, I've often found myself calling Wynalda a half cocked idiot before. I've even made several broken promises to myself to ignore him.

But it is highly instructive to go back six months to a year and read what he wrote, it looks like prophecy most of the time.

Wynalda is a prick who half-cocked shoots off his mouth all the time. He's also almost always right. Going back to a lot of his pre-WC opinions on the US set-up, which I took to be sour grapes (and that could be accurate), he actually was calling out a lot of the problems that are just now getting attention from fans and more affable media types. Given that and his willingness to criticize the American-side of the NYCFC set-up when no one else would dare, I have come to have a pretty positive view of him.

Wynalda is definitely more compelling to listen to than Lalas..... and EW will actually admit when he's wrong (on twitter at least - got him once).

I think he's someone who's smart enough and confident to say things where he has no direct knowledge but they make too much sense not to be true. And I think this might be one of them. Which means I think it's probably true, too, but he might not actually have a sources who told him.

The Kreis apologists will find a way of blaming CFG for Kreis playing him with an injury despite him being awful.

sort of like the way the anti-Kreis fanatics have managed to muster the cognitive dissonance necessary to hate Grabavoy and demand his cutting from the team ASAP and portray him as the poster child for all that is wrong with NYCFC under Kreis, and being a bit sad he may be gone because Kreis played him too much.

Reactions: LeeNYCFC and Gene
I will beforever indebted to Grabavoy for two moments this season. First, he did feed Villa the ball for the first home goal against NE in March. That was a nice play and a cool moment. Second, him coming up with a double against San Jose at the peak of Grabavoy hate has to rank as one of the most shocking and ironic moments of the season. It is hard to not find humor in it.

In the end, he was a lightning rod for a lot of our frustrations about the team generally (some of which was deserved, some of which was probably unfair), but the combination of performance (or lack thereof) and salary means that he is the most obvious guy to get rid of and so this is a good step in the right direction.

ned.gif

Plus, this goal celebration was fantastic and makes me laugh every time I watch it.

sort of like the way the anti-Kreis fanatics have managed to muster the cognitive dissonance necessary to hate Grabavoy and demand his cutting from the team ASAP and portray him as the poster child for all that is wrong with NYCFC under Kreis, and being a bit sad he may be gone because Kreis played him too much.
Speaking for myself, I got to that point actually watching the games.