Grabavoy

sort of like the way the anti-Kreis fanatics have managed to muster the cognitive dissonance necessary to hate Grabavoy and demand his cutting from the team ASAP and portray him as the poster child for all that is wrong with NYCFC under Kreis, and being a bit sad he may be gone because Kreis played him too much.

It's really remarkably easy to do when Kreis makes the choice to start Grabavoy, who has a broken toe, over a completely healthy Poku all season long.

Apparently we're all stupid and there is a huge market for expensive, old, slow mid fielders. How on earth did RSL reject all of those trade offers for him and let him get away for nothing in the expansion draft....

Isn't this exactly what RSL did with him when they didn't protect him last year? Guys you can get in the expansion draft aren't generally players teams are lining up hand out valuable assets for in a trade. A combination of his salary and his current form was enough for RSL to let him go. Now a year older and a poor season later HRB thinks we can get something for this guy?

It's really a shame about HRB, because some of the other SB Nation pages for MLS teams are really quite good.

Did some of you watch a different team than the rest of us? He was literally the worst player I saw all year on either our team or our opponents teams. He fell down when the wind blew, made no tackles that I can remember, stood at the top of the box with his hands up expecting a pass all year and hit his three shots with U6 strength. his goals were a shot off target that was deflected in, and a wide open header that anyone in the league would have hit in except chris wingert. What other team would give up one deflated Jabulani for him?

The sign of "good" things to come. Like others have said, you'll see a completely new style team next year.

Reactions: Goodfella and JayH
It's really remarkably easy to do when Kreis makes the choice to start Grabavoy, who has a broken toe, over a completely healthy Poku all season long.

Starting Grabavoy as the CAM in a 4-2-3-1 with Poku on the bench, for example. That is basically setting up grabs to fail and shows a lack of tactical understanding.

Reactions: Kjbert
I would imagine if we could get something for him we would and we would have made those calls. Our front office isn't that thick

Reactions: Kjbert
Starting Grabavoy as the CAM in a 4-2-3-1 with Poku on the bench, for example. That is basically setting up grabs to fail and shows a lack of tactical understanding.

Are you trying to agree or disagree with my point, because all you did was make my point stronger.

On another note I would like to think that Grabavoy's very late season performance was indicative of his true abilities as a player. Useful on an MLS field, but not at $215k. Am I sad to see him go, yes I am. But that is a function of Grabavoy representing the lost hope I had for the storyline that NYCFC was getting the next great USMNT manager to coach for us. It represents the lost innocence that I had that we would be a fully American product with a bit of overseas assistance to keep us locked in the path to greatness.

Now I'm more of a realist. There are 22 men on a field and the coach who can put his together better wins no matter what. And if next year goes like I think it will, we the fans of US soccer, will get a very painful reminder in how far we really have to go before we are anything like the big leagues.

REYNA: Hi this is Claudio. I'd like to see if we can work out a trade for Grabavoy

GENERIC GM:
1311626178002.gif

Hey GUYS, come here, NYCFC is trying to trade Grabavoy to us!!!!

GENERIC GUYS :
SNq07.gif

REYNA: So what can you give us in return?

GENERIC GM:
200x200px-ZC-527d93cf_883415.gif

REYNA: Ok. Thank you for your time.

VIEIRA: Any luck getting rid of him?

REYNA: No. That was the 19th GM I contacted.
1438904314087.jpg

GUYS WE HAVE TO STOP THIS!!!!!!! WE CANT LET THIS HAPPEN!!!!!! WE CANT LET NED GO, NOT LIKE THIS!!!!! We at least have to wait till JK gets hired by another team and trades his first rounder for Ned. I'm hoping for Chicago's first overall pick. Fingers crossed!

He was literally the worst player I saw all year on either our team or our opponents teams.

How do people forget about Nemec so quickly?
*Cough* tackled Villa *cough* couldn't run *cough* couldn't do his one job of receiving and then distributing the ball *cough cough*

GUYS WE HAVE TO STOP THIS!!!!!!! WE CANT LET THIS HAPPEN!!!!!! WE CANT LET NED GO, NOT LIKE THIS!!!!! We at least have to wait till JK gets hired by another team and trades his first rounder for Ned. I'm hoping for Chicago's first overall pick. Fingers crossed!

How do people forget about Nemec so quickly?
*Cough* tackled Villa *cough* couldn't run *cough* couldn't do his one job of receiving and then distributing the ball *cough cough*
At least we got delivered from him at some point. We had to endure Ned the ENTIRE season.

I'd celebrate if I knew who was replacing him. Does free up $250k.

I assume he was on a one year contract then?
I found MLS salary shockingly low. $250k a year? that's for a reserve player, no? why such low salary? we need more money to attract talent,,,this is no comparison to other major sports in the US. this is bad

I found MLS salary shockingly low. $250k a year? that's for a reserve player, no? why such low salary? we need more money to attract talent,,,this is no comparison to other major sports in the US. this is bad
That's actually somewhat of a *high* salary for MLS as a number of the players on our team are in the $60k per year range. I said this somewhere else on the board but pretty much everyone on Man City, for example, makes that much *per match*. This is a direct result of the the way MLS does business, as well as the crazy salary cap rules. But supposedly it's good for the league as a whole, and for its future.

The whole situation is a little hard to believe at times.

That's actually somewhat of a *high* salary for MLS as a number of the players on our team are in the $60k per year range. I said this somewhere else on the board but pretty much everyone on Man City, for example, makes that much *per match*. This is a direct result of the the way MLS does business, as well as the crazy salary cap rules. But supposedly it's good for the league as a whole, and for its future.

The whole situation is a little hard to believe at times.
"In order to have the wealth gap lower, you'd rather have the poor poorer?" - Margaret Thatcher
understand the need to bring the parity to smaller media market teams, which is for the overall good. But you don't do so by choking the game to such a low level talent. Let a few big teams dominate first, have the faith in the MLS market growth. Some billionaires will move in to buy the small teams and inject money to bring the leveling later on.

Reactions: Gavin23
sort of like the way the anti-Kreis fanatics have managed to muster the cognitive dissonance necessary to hate Grabavoy and demand his cutting from the team ASAP and portray him as the poster child for all that is wrong with NYCFC under Kreis, and being a bit sad he may be gone because Kreis played him too much.
Where are the sad posts? I think everyone is pretty happy we have some additional cap $ to spend on getting someone in who hopefully improves the squad.

All I really ask for as a fan is to let me have those moments of hopefulness and excitement in the lead up to a match. By midseason, it occurred to me that those opportunities would be always be quashed a half hour prior to kick when the club tweeted out a lineup. When those included Grabavoy, I skipped straight past denial and into anger.

My view of the past week is highly positive, as at least I can feel hope for the next couple of months rather than dread of the certainty of imminent disappointment.

Where are the sad posts? I think everyone is pretty happy we have some additional cap $ to spend on getting someone in who hopefully improves the squad.

All I really ask for as a fan is to let me have those moments of hopefulness and excitement in the lead up to a match. By midseason, it occurred to me that those opportunities would be always be quashed a half hour prior to kick when the club tweeted out a lineup. When those included Grabavoy, I skipped straight past denial and into anger.

My view of the past week is highly positive, as at least I can feel hope for the next couple of months rather than dread of the certainty of imminent disappointment.
Agreed. After the lineups were announced, it was like fait acompli was presented to all in the stands, and the most hope anybody had was getting through the concession lines with a beer and food in less than 20 minutes and before NYCFC was down a goal.

Agreed. After the lineups were announced, it was like fait acompli was presented to all in the stands, and the most hope anybody had was getting through the concession lines with a beer and food in less than 20 minutes and before NYCFC was down a goal.
By midseason, it occurred to me that those opportunities would be always be quashed a half hour prior to kick when the club tweeted out a lineup.
This makes me wonder. If some of the reports are to be believed, CFG had in mind to move on from Kreis as early as May. I wonder how early Kreis saw that writing on the wall. And by extension, could his playing of Grabavoy and benching of Poku have been a middle finger toward CFG?

Maybe that's too conspiracyish. Or maybe it really was just his inability to go outside of his own comfort zone with the players he loved.

But I also still look back on those lineups and relive the head shaking disbelief (rage) I so often felt for how he could possibly think his choices were the best starting XI.

This makes me wonder. If some of the reports are to be believed, CFG had in mind to move on from Kreis as early as May. I wonder how early Kreis saw that writing on the wall. And by extension, could his playing of Grabavoy and benching of Poku have been a middle finger toward CFG?

Maybe that's too conspiracyish. Or maybe it really was just his inability to go outside of his own comfort zone with the players he loved.

But I also still look back on those lineups and relive the head shaking disbelief (rage) I so often felt for how he could possibly think his choices were the best starting XI.
Perhaps, but who knows [shrugs...] ? I do know that it didn't take many games with the suspect lineups to feel like I did in grad school with group projects when one in the group was headstrong and bullied their (suspect) idea on the rest.... I would just sit back and tell them fine, we'll do it your way, but you own this.