Grant Wahl Reports Red Bull Getting Out Of New York;

I find it interesting that as soon as the MLS appears to be taking flight and becoming a legit league Red Bull pulls out. Why now, of all times, are they suddenly deciding that MLS isn's the right league for them?

Their German team just got into the second tier of German football. This season, if investment continues to push it forward, it has a chance of making the promised land, the Bundesliga. From there, it could push on to make the Champions League. Bearing in mind that Red Bull's sports division are Austria-based, they are shifting their priorities now the German team is eclipsing the American one in importance.

Red Bull got into MLS at the right time. Just before the boom, but after most of the years of struggle. They know they can sell for a profit at this point. My belief is that they are just prepping the books for a sale within the next couple of years. It would hurt the enterprise value if they have a USL investment and additional DP money tied up.
As for the Cosmos, no chance the current ownership buys the club. First, I don't think they have the money MLS demands at this point (As you can see with other investment groups lining up right now, MLS demands multiple billionaires to be involved or at least one super-billionaire like Arthur Blank), second, Sela Sport has a very shady background. The only way we ever see the Cosmos in MLS is if some group decided to buy the brand and use it to replace an existing one. IMO, the Cosmos brand is nothing but a little bit of nostalgia. You can have the same success with a solid organization without the brand.

As for the Cosmos, no chance the current ownership buys the club. First, I don't think they have the money MLS demands at this point (As you can see with other investment groups lining up right now, MLS demands multiple billionaires to be involved or at least one super-billionaire like Arthur Blank), second, Sela Sport has a very shady background. The only way we ever see the Cosmos in MLS is if some group decided to buy the brand and use it to replace an existing one. IMO, the Cosmos brand is nothing but a little bit of nostalgia. You can have the same success with a solid organization without the brand.

Cosmos had issue with a (presumably) $40m expansion fee (http://www.forbes.com/2008/09/09/mls-soccer-beckham-biz-sports-cz_kb_0909mlsvalues.html - article states in 2009 the fees were $40m). If they didn't want to pay that when there was support from the Wilpon family as well as the new owner, there's no way in hell they'll pay 300m for the RB franchise.

Would $300 million be the price? IMHO that sounds awfully low. Red Bull Arena itself has to be worth that much (or at least damn near close).

Reactions: Kinkladze
And don't say the Wilpons as I read in another thread. They can barely pay the interest on their loans.

I'm sorry but who associated with the Cosmos can afford the MLS fee?
Nobody. They need at least additional investors lined up (like Sac and Minn United are doing) or just sell the tainted brand to some schmuck willing to pay for it. Sela sport does not have a very good background so I would not be surprised if MLS rejects them from being too involved.
Great read from Bill Archer in 2012:
http://www.bigsoccer.com/blog/2012/...n-garber-the-cosmos-and-which-side-are-you-on