Big News Out Of Mls All-star Game: Mix To Columbus Hits A Snag? Red Bull Leaving Mls?

Yeah, that cliffhanger is odd. Apparently based off a tweet by the Sporting KC CEO, Dom Dwyer is on his way out, reportedly to Brentford FC. I imagine that's the end of the Dwyer to USMNT dreams.
Sporting's coach, Peter Vermes, replied to the rumors by saying Brentford's offer wasn't even worth discussing because it was way too low.

But even if Dwyer left the US now, he could still gain citizenship by 2017 and be eligible. He has a green card, and the requirements to gain citizenship are to spend at least 2.5 years of the 5 years wait period in the US, with no period abroad being longer than 6 months. So as long as he flew back for a visits, he would be able to fill the requirement, since he already has over 2 years in the US since he got his green card.

Not saying he will ever suit up for the USMNT, but just noting even if he goes back to England it's still possible.

Sporting's coach, Peter Vermes, replied to the rumors by saying Brentford's offer wasn't even worth discussing because it was way too low.

But even if Dwyer left the US now, he could still gain citizenship by 2017 and be eligible. He has a green card, and the requirements to gain citizenship are to spend at least 2.5 years of the 5 years wait period in the US, with no period abroad being longer than 6 months. So as long as he flew back for a visits, he would be able to fill the requirement, since he already has over 2 years in the US since he got his green card.

Not saying he will ever suit up for the USMNT, but just noting even if he goes back to England it's still possible.
I don't really think he's better than what we have (actually, I'd say he'd be about 6th on ST depth chart), but it's never bad to have options.

Reactions: MagnusPax

I'll take the Vermes quote farther, he was insulted by Brentford and trashed many of the non-MLS clubs trying to get Dwyer and his other players. Not pretty.

I don't really think he's better than what we have (actually, I'd say he'd be about 6th on ST depth chart), but it's never bad to have options.
Certainly. He's one to keep an eye on though. He'll be 27 when Russia comes along, so if he keeps scoring goals he might be worth a look.

Regardless of rumors and hearsay, I get the feeling that Mix and Jermaine and vastly overestimating their respective values based simply on acquiring American citizenship.

Reactions: Kjbert
Regardless of rumors and hearsay, I get the feeling that Mix and Jermaine and vastly overestimating their respective values based simply on acquiring American citizenship.
But they are quality Americans and in MLS that's very very important. Not from a player quality perspective, but from a roster compliance and marketing stand point.