Big News Out Of Mls All-star Game: Mix To Columbus Hits A Snag? Red Bull Leaving Mls?

NYCFCFan10

Registered
Mar 23, 2014
I realize this isn't really NYCFC related all that much but its so much important news that will be effecting our league that everyone should read it.

Grant Wahl
http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-fut...nes-chivas-usa-portland-all-star-julian-green

PORTLAND, Ore. — What’s it like to be here during MLS All-Star week with Bayern Munich in town? Well, it’s a lot of fun, for one thing. On Monday morning in a downtown coffee shop in walked U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann, followed soon after by Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge. A block away, German legend Franz Beckenbauer was holding court in one hotel lobby, while Thierry Henry was doing the same in another.

The Columbus-Mix Diskerud deal has had some twists and turns
Columbus thought it had a handshake deal on terms with U.S. international Mix Diskerud, only for his father/agent, Paal, to demand more money at the last second, according to multiple sources. As of Wednesday, the MLS summer transfer deadline, the two sides were still trying to work out a deal but had yet to reach one. A similar situation happened in early 2013 when Diskerud nearly joined Portland, only for talks to break down late in the game.

There are growing questions in MLS over whether Red Bull will continue owning a team in the long term
The New York Red Bulls have yet to add a third Designated Player as many had thought they would, and that’s in line with what some league people are seeing as a decline in the energy drink company’s interest in owning an MLS team. In fact, some within the league are starting to doubt whether Red Bull will still be involved in MLS 10 years from now.

Diskerud’s contract with Rosenborg runs through the end of 2014. Columbus sits atop the MLS Allocation Order, which is used to distribute U.S. internationals that sign with the league (provided their cost doesn't meet the undisclosed MLS-determined threshold to skip the mechanism).

Jermaine Jones still wants Michael Bradley money to join MLS
The out-of-contract U.S. World Cup standout knows Bradley makes a guaranteed $6.5 million a year and feels like he was just as important as Bradley to the U.S. World Cup effort. The problem is Jones is 32, while Bradley is 27 and has a bit more marketing potential.

The Chivas USA sale could come in September
MLS bought back the struggling franchise from Jorge Vergara and his wife, Angélica Fuentes, earlier this year, and I’m told multiple parties are interested in buying the club, which MLS thinks it can sell for $100 million. MLS president Mark Abbott told media here the league wants the new owner to commit to keeping the team in Los Angeles and building a new soccer stadium, with the focus on a central L.A. location. The spot Abbott is focused on is the site of the old L.A. Sports Arena near the USC campus.

Bayern manager Pep Guardiola is growing concerned about the media attention on Julian Green
The 19-year-old Green did appear at Bayern’s press conference here with Guardiola, Robert Lewandowski and Franck Ribéry, but Guardiola shut down any 1-on-1 interviews with Green in an effort to protect the youngster after seeing how much attention he has been getting during the U.S. tour. Perhaps Guardiola saw the giant T-Mobile billboard featuring Green on the side of a building in Portland on the way to Providence Park.

The Portland Timbers are interested in installing a grass field as soon as 2016
Portland would be the first of the Cascadia MLS teams to have a natural surface, as the Timbers, Seattle Sounders and Vancouver Whitecaps all currently play on turf fields.

It’s fun to listen to Thierry Henry talk soccer
When the New York star is engaged, as he was in Monday’s press conference, he has terrific insights. When asked about which players youngsters should observe to learn how to play the game, Henry said Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are “freaks” and that for most young players it would be best to watch a guy like Bayern’s Thomas Müller to see how he goes about his business.

Henry also clearly has a subscription to the MLS Live package and watches a lot of league games, because he can talk about any team in MLS and its players. Whether Henry goes into coaching or the media once he’s done playing (which could be as soon as the end of this year), he’ll be a good one.[/quote]

Reactions: Kjbert
One of the statements above ref Chivas says the league want the new owner to stay in LA.

Is there a reason for this ?

LA already have Galaxy, would not a move to San Francisco ( which I believe to be in the same state) not spread the game just a little further ? Or do San Fran already have a team ?

LA is a massive, massive city. Population-wise, it's a touch behind NY and on-par with London but in land-size, its huge, much bigger than NY. You must have two teams there...

You might have a team in SF someday but with San Jose 30 minutes away from SF, it's not likely. SJ will play games in SF 49ers stadium for the next 5 years. In America, 30 minutes away is considered your backyard.

LA is a massive, massive city. Population-wise, it's a touch behind NY and on-par with London but in land-size, its huge, much bigger than NY. You must have two teams there...

You might have a team in SF someday but with San Jose 30 minutes away from SF, it's not likely. SJ will play games in SF 49ers stadium for the next 5 years. In America, 30 minutes away is considered your backyard.

Thanks... didn't realise where San Jose was.

Why? It seems like he is as much of a headache as Jermaine Jones is. This is now TWO deals he has stepped away from in the last minute. It seems like his word is worth garbage.

How has anyone not posted about the Taylor Twellman rumor? He left a cliffhanger last night!

Yeah, that cliffhanger is odd. Apparently based off a tweet by the Sporting KC CEO, Dom Dwyer is on his way out, reportedly to Brentford FC. I imagine that's the end of the Dwyer to USMNT dreams.

Why? It seems like he is as much of a headache as Jermaine Jones is. This is now TWO deals he has stepped away from in the last minute. It seems like his word is worth garbage.
Maybe his dad is a tool but he is still a really good player, American and has great upsides. Maybe being in NYC will cure him of his daddy issues.

Now, if I understand it correctly Jermaine Jones is still available because he's out of a contract and so can simply be signed until the rosters lock, which is sometime in September.

How has anyone not posted about the Taylor Twellman rumor? He left a cliffhanger last night!

I posted about twatman in the shout box, but no one gave any insight. It's killing me.

As for Mix's dad, he may have just pointed out that the salary cap will go up next year and NYCFC might be able to match or better the wage with it being better for the club and maybe pass through to Mix's wages since he'd be on a free. I do feel good that I was pretty close on his wages in Norway. Big internet points for me.

I would never have guessed Columbus would put up an offer for $1mm. That's a real shock.

I also find it pretty tasteless of the club to go run to the media and say, "hey, Mix's dad won't let him come out to play with us!1!!!11!!" It reflects poorly on the club and indirectly on the league.

Although in the Crew's defense, he did the same thing to Portland last year. It's a pattern.

I posted about twatman in the shout box, but no one gave any insight. It's killing me.

As for Mix's dad, he may have just pointed out that the salary cap will go up next year and NYCFC might be able to match or better the wage with it being better for the club and maybe pass through to Mix's wages since he'd be on a free. I do feel good that I was pretty close on his wages in Norway. Big internet points for me.

I would never have guessed Columbus would put up an offer for $1mm. That's a real shock.

I also find it pretty tasteless of the club to go run to the media and say, "hey, Mix's dad won't let him come out to play with us!1!!!11!!" It reflects poorly on the club and indirectly on the league.

Well, the Crew thought they had a deal and just needed to sign. They teased it to their fans, as did Mix. Then the deal fell through. They were polite about it, but they had to tell their fans why they had no big signing when they teased it. Maybe they shouldn't have teased it, but it's obvious they thought they had a done deal and were ok to do so.

Moreover, the Crew didn't saw it; Wahl and Twellman did. Now, maybe they had Crew sources but I'm guessing the LAG would have leaked it as well since it seems like LAG was waiting for the Crew to use their allocation spot to do something.

Well, the Crew thought they had a deal and just needed to sign. They teased it to their fans, as did Mix. Then the deal fell through. They were polite about it, but they had to tell their fans why they had no big signing when they teased it. Maybe they shouldn't have teased it, but it's obvious they thought they had a done deal and were ok to do so.

Moreover, the Crew didn't saw it; Wahl and Twellman did. Now, maybe they had Crew sources but I'm guessing the LAG would have leaked it as well since it seems like LAG was waiting for the Crew to use their allocation spot to do something.

Precourt absolutely went to the media.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2014/08/07/0807-sports-report-art-gp7tls8m-1.html

And Berhalter himself has denied Twatman and MLS/US soccer mouthpiece wahl's reports, as did Mix and his father, who isn't even acting as his agent.

http://www.noshortcorners.com/2014/08/all-mix-ed-up.html
Andrew King @AndrewKingMLS
Follow

Berhalter re: a handshake deal that was reneged on. "That didn't happen...the whole time they were very open and direct..." #Crew96

10:41 AM - 7 Aug 2014
2 RETWEETS 1 FAVORITE

Yeah, that cliffhanger is odd. Apparently based off a tweet by the Sporting KC CEO, Dom Dwyer is on his way out, reportedly to Brentford FC. I imagine that's the end of the Dwyer to USMNT dreams.

Wow. But Twellman said USMNT team player.

That's Championship Level football. Not bad.

Maybe Mix re-discovered the One Entity rule like he did last year.