Home - 9/23 Chicago

Just spitballin', but what if we came out in the formation we've shifted to late in games recently:

NYCFC-formation-tactics.png

It would be an interesting attacking look to replace what we lose without Lampard, and also bring a third CB on the field to help with the loss of Chanot.

It can also easily slide back into our base 4-3-3, with Matarrita sliding back to LB, Hernandez over to RB, and pushing Shelton to RW and one of the attacking midfielder to LW.

Just spitballin', but what if we came out in the formation we've shifted to late in games recently:

NYCFC-formation-tactics.png

It would be an interesting attacking look to replace what we lose without Lampard, and also bring a third CB on the field to help with the loss of Chanot.

It can also easily slide back into our base 4-3-3, with Matarrita sliding back to LB, Hernandez over to RB, and pushing Shelton to RW and one of the attacking midfielder to LW.
That right side D scares me. Hell, due to recent form that left side D scares me. Brillant on an island, the Event Horizon, in front of a black hole....

Adjust those projected lineups?!?

Mix Tweeted:

For the first time in history, NYCFC may clinch a play-off spot on Friday.
For numerous reasons, I'll be there.
How about you?

Mix Tweeted:

How about you?
The intern convinced Patricof to read the forums??? Well done!!!

Mix Tweeted:

How about you?
Cryptic, yes.... What are the odds on the inclusion of Mix in the 18, and separately, starting?

Cryptic, yes.... What are the odds on the inclusion of Mix in the 18, and separately, starting?

If you look at my lineup post above, I think he will be in the 18. IIRC, he's been in the 18 once or twice since the Cosmos game. I hope he is, and I hope he gets to play. Note that we don't have a lot of people available for this game. There are only 21 people fit and ready to go (excluding Andre Rawls). If Mix is not in the 18, it's either because Ballouchy is in his place, or because they want to include an extra defender - either White or Martinez.

I think the odds are against him starting, as it seems the preference is to put in Mendoza or Shelton and move one of the wings back to midfield, but if that's not what they do, then I think Mix makes the most sense. Of course, he is hardly game fit at this point, so that argues against him a bit.

Reactions: Viewfrom226
If you look at my lineup post above, I think he will be in the 18. IIRC, he's been in the 18 once or twice since the Cosmos game. I hope he is, and I hope he gets to play. Note that we don't have a lot of people available for this game. There are only 21 people fit and ready to go (excluding Andre Rawls). If Mix is not in the 18, it's either because Ballouchy is in his place, or because they want to include an extra defender - either White or Martinez.

I think the odds are against him starting, as it seems the preference is to put in Mendoza or Shelton and move one of the wings back to midfield, but if that's not what they do, then I think Mix makes the most sense. Of course, he is hardly game fit at this point, so that argues against him a bit.
If there is ever a time to play (start) Mix it's this game. Not only as a like-for-like replacement of Lampard, but because It's Chicago and Mix has matched up/played very well against them in both games this year (game winning goal in 1st game).

I would be so ecstatic if he got the start, as would probably nearly the entire stadium, and it could turn into an all-is-forgotten-move-on type game with a win.

LionNYC LionNYC would need oxygen if he starts and a defibrillator if he was to score a goal.... Ambulance on the sidelines if the fabled hat trick came to fruition.

If there is ever a time to play (start) Mix it's this game. Not only as a like-for-like replacement of Lampard, but because It's Chicago and Mix has matched up/played very well against them in both games this year (game winning goal in 1st game).

I would be so ecstatic if he got the start, as would probably nearly the entire stadium, and it could turn into an all-is-forgotten-move-on type game with a win.

LionNYC LionNYC would need oxygen if he starts and a defibrillator if he was to score a goal.... Ambulance on the sidelines if the fabled hat trick came to fruition.

Good thing I'm close to the medical staff and EMTs with the stretcher.

If you look at my lineup post above, I think he will be in the 18. IIRC, he's been in the 18 once or twice since the Cosmos game.
Without looking back at the fixtures, I do remember he was in the 18 against Colorado. I remember thinking to myself, what if the one game he gets subbed in, is the game that PV is suspended for. And the amount of discussion that would foster here on the forum.

Back with a corrected version of this week's preview. Sorry to anyone who clicked on yesterday's link and enjoyed a minute of dead space in the middle :)

Good stuff.

One thing occurs to me regarding Shelton's ability in the air. Recently - when we are on the attack - many teams have responded by clogging the middle to frustrate our ability to find space for a pass or a shot. In doing so, they concede space on the wings.

Teams know that we tend not to cross the ball, instead preferring to work the ball in from the outside by dribbling past the first man or playing a shorter pass to the middle. With Shelton in the game, teams have to respect the ability of a player on the wing to find a target man for a header. This could draw more attention out from the middle to make sure the crosses don't get off.

I'm not sure if this will open up the middle all that much, but perhaps it will help when the opposite winger is working the ball or when RJ or Pirlo have the ball in Khiry's corner and he is moving to the middle.

I'm pasting below some commentary from a conversation I was having with someone on the Fire's reddit page based on my preview. I thought it was good insight from someone who watches them week to week and seems balanced and objective. The Bedoya tidbit is interesting also, if true.

In my opinion Accam hurts the team almost as much as he helps the team. He is mostly played on the left wing, is explosive when given space, can finish in a number of ways, but often dribbles into the defense and often misses the pass. When he is on the field the team has a tendency to rely to much on him for offensive creation, often bypassing the rest of the midfield in doing so.

de Leeuw has been really good with Luis Solginac up top, both of them are highly movement orientated. They pull the defense out of shape with their runs and positioning which gives more room for David, Goossens and Alvarez to attack. What the team really needs is a play maker or at least a dominant number 8. That looked to have been Bedoya, who is rumored to have actually signed with CF97, but when it was known that his price tag was to increase in his second year the team called in favors to cancel the contract.

Vincent is an odd one. Fans either think he is improving or he should go to USL. Very few are excited by him, yet he has had a lot of opportunities outside of Chicago this year with the national team and the All Star (the latter still baffles me.) Most tend to think that he is a down grade from Jovin Jones, who we traded away after we signed Vincent. It is also rumored that Jones asked for a raise or a trade.

Personally I think Vincent has improved significantly this year (you may recall his huge gaff that lead to Shelton's first goal this year). His crossing is still not great, but has gotten better. He has begun to get forward a bit more as well and has made some touchline runs lately. Part of his problem is his price tag, he negotiated his first year contract instead of going Generation Adidas. This means he is not only on the books, but makes more money then team players who may contribute more (Campbell/Polster). He will most likely be back and continue to improve next year.

There is a descent core build around:

• de Leeuw is excellent, plays a lot like Mike Magee but is better in the air.
  • Accam is electrifying and will be back next year, but could be sold during the season if he doesn't extend his contract.
  • Kappelhof has been playing right back, but is one of the best centers in the league. He has the most interceptions of any player (as of a week ago)
  • Campbell is a rookie of the year contender
  • Polster is only getting better
  • When not injured Goossens has been really good, unfortunately he has missed all 3 NYCFC games this year.
The rest are up for grabs. Solignac has been a great addition, but his pay goes from 90K to 300K+ next year. Arshakyan is big but hasn't shown much (though he will be here per contract). There's speculation that Sean Johnson will not be with the team next year as well. As of now there are only 6 players under contract for 2017.

Here is the injury report for New York City FC vs Chicago Fire:

New York City FC

• Frank Lampard - OUT
  • Connor Brandt - OUT
  • Shannon Gomez - OUT
  • Maxime Chanot - OUT
Chicago Fire

• John Goossens - OUT
  • Matt Lampson - OUT
  • Michael de Leeuw - QUESTIONABLE
  • Alex Morrell - QUESTIONABLE

We finally get to see Harrison vs. Vincent. The SuperDraft trade that changed the complex of MLS.

In the style of Yaya/Kolo Toure:

Hat trick, hat trick, hat trick, hat trick, hat trick, hat trick, hat trick, hat trick.

Mix, Mix, Mix, Mix, Mix, Mix, Mix, Mix, Mix, Mix, Mix, Mix Diskerud.

I hope he didn't mean that he would be taking Q&A at the pre-game showing of Win! and then attending the post-game Meet-and-Greet.