Home - 9/23 Chicago

In my opinion Accam hurts the team almost as much as he helps the team. He is mostly played on the left wing, is explosive when given space, can finish in a number of ways, but often dribbles into the defense and often misses the pass. When he is on the field the team has a tendency to rely to much on him for offensive creation, often bypassing the rest of the midfield in doing so.

Sounds familiar.... They have an explosive offensive player with poor tactical awareness that dribbles into bad spots (Mendoza with better finishing?). The offense suffers from the team forcing the ball to their star offensive player (NYCFC inaugural season David Villa?). Certainly a couple of frustrating things we as NYCFC fans can relate to from our past and present experiences.

I'm pasting below some commentary from a conversation I was having with someone on the Fire's reddit page based on my preview. I thought it was good insight from someone who watches them week to week and seems balanced and objective. The Bedoya tidbit is interesting also, if true.

In my opinion Accam hurts the team almost as much as he helps the team. He is mostly played on the left wing, is explosive when given space, can finish in a number of ways, but often dribbles into the defense and often misses the pass. When he is on the field the team has a tendency to rely to much on him for offensive creation, often bypassing the rest of the midfield in doing so.

de Leeuw has been really good with Luis Solginac up top, both of them are highly movement orientated. They pull the defense out of shape with their runs and positioning which gives more room for David, Goossens and Alvarez to attack. What the team really needs is a play maker or at least a dominant number 8. That looked to have been Bedoya, who is rumored to have actually signed with CF97, but when it was known that his price tag was to increase in his second year the team called in favors to cancel the contract.

Vincent is an odd one. Fans either think he is improving or he should go to USL. Very few are excited by him, yet he has had a lot of opportunities outside of Chicago this year with the national team and the All Star (the latter still baffles me.) Most tend to think that he is a down grade from Jovin Jones, who we traded away after we signed Vincent. It is also rumored that Jones asked for a raise or a trade.

Personally I think Vincent has improved significantly this year (you may recall his huge gaff that lead to Shelton's first goal this year). His crossing is still not great, but has gotten better. He has begun to get forward a bit more as well and has made some touchline runs lately. Part of his problem is his price tag, he negotiated his first year contract instead of going Generation Adidas. This means he is not only on the books, but makes more money then team players who may contribute more (Campbell/Polster). He will most likely be back and continue to improve next year.

There is a descent core build around:

• de Leeuw is excellent, plays a lot like Mike Magee but is better in the air.
  • Accam is electrifying and will be back next year, but could be sold during the season if he doesn't extend his contract.
  • Kappelhof has been playing right back, but is one of the best centers in the league. He has the most interceptions of any player (as of a week ago)
  • Campbell is a rookie of the year contender
  • Polster is only getting better
  • When not injured Goossens has been really good, unfortunately he has missed all 3 NYCFC games this year.
The rest are up for grabs. Solignac has been a great addition, but his pay goes from 90K to 300K+ next year. Arshakyan is big but hasn't shown much (though he will be here per contract). There's speculation that Sean Johnson will not be with the team next year as well. As of now there are only 6 players under contract for 2017.

Great stuff. Does he think de Leeuw makes the game or is still out injured?

I hope he didn't mean that he would be taking Q&A at the pre-game showing of Win! and then attending the post-game Meet-and-Greet.
That would be a kick in the nuts if true.

Reactions: JayH

Apologies for the pessimism in advance I'm trying to temper my excitement that we may see Mix. I can't wait till Mix is on the bench as a planned sub that doesn't end up being possible because we have to use a sub on something stupid like Saunders diving into the post going after a shot that's 50' wide of the goal.

I hope he just starts, it would be really great to see him back out there running all over the place.

Reactions: Ulrich
I would be happy to see Mix make the 18, happier if he plays and plays well, and happiest if there is a happy ending to this saga. With that said, I can do without the vague and ambiguous tweeting, regardless of the intent or meaning - as I'm not sure that it is helpful either internally or externally. I thought that today's "for numerous reasons" tweet was intriguing for our own purposes of discussion but a bit peculiar, and thought that the Columbus tweet before and today's marathon tweet were probably ill-advised as they could easily be misconstrued by the public, teammates and team. Maybe it's just Mix being Mix. I think "just play" is the better tact. In any event, I'm hopeful that this plays out well on the field.

In a later tweet he seemed to say that he is going to be running the NY Marathon. If true, I think that means he will not see the pitch again for us since it is on the same day as a potential playoff game. Of course this could have been just another obfuscatory tweet.

Getting excited to see if SAP works on Optimum DVR in Brooklyn in September...

I would be happy to see Mix make the 18, happier if he plays and plays well, and happiest if there is a happy ending to this saga. With that said, I can do without the vague and ambiguous tweeting, regardless of the intent or meaning - as I'm not sure that it is helpful either internally or externally. I thought that today's "for numerous reasons" tweet was intriguing for our own purposes of discussion but a bit peculiar, and thought that the Columbus tweet before and today's marathon tweet were probably ill-advised as they could easily be misconstrued by the public, teammates and team. Maybe it's just Mix being Mix. I think "just play" is the better tact. In any event, I'm hopeful that this plays out well on the field.
Sun Tzu misinformation campaign:

"pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance."

"A military operation involves deception. Even though you are competent, appear to be incompetent. Though effective appear to be ineffective. "

Sun Tzu misinformation campaign:

"pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance."

"A military operation involves deception. Even though you are competent, appear to be incompetent. Though effective appear to be ineffective. "
Ha, yup (I appreciate that you used true tactics). Sun Tzu was a great influence during my serious poker-playing days.

Reactions: Ulrich