Ian Joy On Wynalda's Show Tonight

Love Poku and hope he stays. Ultimately want him to be happy though.

I hope he stays, but for his family, he should leave. Could probably make 6x the money immediately.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Can you elaborate? I don't know of any mechanism that would allow the team to overrule the league, when the player is signed with the league and not the player. Sincere question.
Honestly, MLS rules aren't set in stone but let me put it to you like this.

I can recall a few times the league stepped in and stopped transfers for salary cap/other rules reasons.

There have been a few times where the league has leaned on clubs to get deals done INTRA-league (Robbie Rogers, Drogba, Clint Dempsey) and in those cases the rights to the players were owned by one club but they only wanted to play for another club that wanted them as well. It was never they're actually at the club and then the league just decided, ok, you're out of here.

But I can't recall a situation (in modern MLS times) where the league was ever like "you have a good player, so the rest of the owners have decided we're selling him!" How could a league possibly survive like that?

It's just not happening like that. I'm sure it's on the books somewhere from the old days that MLS could sell a player if in serious financial distress or if not selling the player would be somehow seriously detrimental to the entire league because MLS was all about survival in the beginning.

Absolutely. It wasn't up to MLS how large a transfer fee would be paid for Yedlin, Seattle had the final say on that. They turned down smaller offers before the Tottenham offer.

Honestly, MLS rules aren't set in stone but let me put it to you like this.

I can recall a few times the league stepped in and stopped transfers for salary cap/other rules reasons.

There have been a few times where the league has leaned on clubs to get deals done INTRA-league (Robbie Rogers, Drogba, Clint Dempsey) and in those cases the rights to the players were owned by one club but they only wanted to play for another club that wanted them as well. It was never they're actually at the club and then the league just decided, ok, you're out of here.

But those situations deal with clubs having "rights" to the player within MLS, not whether MLS as a league would sign the player, no?

But I can't recall a situation (in modern MLS times) where the league was ever like "you have a good player, so the rest of the owners have decided we're selling him!" How could a league possibly survive like that?

It's just not happening like that. I'm sure it's on the books somewhere from the old days that MLS could sell a player if in serious financial distress or if not selling the player would be somehow seriously detrimental to the entire league because MLS was all about survival in the beginning.

There was a point when all the teams in MLS were owned by three people. The league's culture is collusion, not ganging up on each other. So it has survived under that principle.

Sorry, but your post didn't really offer any proof, just restated that you don't believe it works like that. My simplistic understanding is that the league owns the players, and the teams owns the rights to have that player over other MLS teams. The league may buy/sell players with input from the teams, but ultimately it's the league's decision. Is there any direct evidence contradicting this?

Damn i hate it when facts get in the way of my informed opinions. Just read rule IIIb instead of going to sleep and the bottom line is if the MLS and the player agree on the transfer it would happen (if the rules were followed strictly) even if the Club objects.

Sorry, but your post didn't really offer any proof, just restated that you don't believe it works like that. My simplistic understanding is that the league owns the players, and the teams owns the rights to have that player over other MLS teams. The league may buy/sell players with input from the teams, but ultimately it's the league's decision. Is there any direct evidence contradicting this?

You're the one claiming that the league would sell a player over the team's objections, perhaps you should at least show a single example of this happening before demanding that others attempt to prove a negative.

You're the one claiming that the league would sell a player over the team's objections, perhaps you should at least show a single example of this happening before demanding that others attempt to prove a negative.
Exactly.

When the league gets involved it always comes out.

When the league stopped LA from signing a player last year, Bruce Arena bitched for weeks in the press.

When Toronto was essentially forced to deal Clint Dempsey's rights to Seattle, it came out that Toronto essentially told the league "You owe us for this." I think Tim Leiweke or Bezbechinko (sp?) came out and said that in an interview. Toronto cashed in on that with the Bradley/Defoe deals.

When the league got involved in the Robbie Rogers deal, we know Chicago dug in their heels and said LA is going to have to pay up. Which led to Mike Magee going to Chicago. A deal that was honestly better for Chicago because Magee was the third highest goal-scorer for LA behind Donovan and Keane at that point.

If the league gets involved, you'll hear about it. It really doesn't happen often and never in the capacity you've suggested.

Reactions: Kjbert
Also Chicago Fire had thought they had acquired Jermaine Jones and then...

Abracadabra!

The league stepped in with some obscure rule and Jones ended up in New England.

If City Football Group wanted to buy a championship, perhaps they should have bought the Cosmos.

Reactions: Kjbert
As much as I want to keep Poku, selling him for one or two million could give us the allocation money we need to unfuck the rest of our roster.

As much as I want to keep Poku, selling him for one or two million could give us the allocation money we need to unfuck the rest of our roster.

I'm not sue how the transfer money gets allocated, but do believe we get the benefit of most of it. If so, people need to reconcile themselves to the possibility that this is how things will play out. We have a large surplus of central midfielders. We badly need players elsewhere. In this offseason, we need to turn central mids into defenders or wingers, and it's not likely that shedding Grabavoy and [Johanson][EDIT] Jacobson will get it done. It may take a Mix or a Poku.

Last edited:
I'm not sue how the transfer money gets allocated, but do believe we get the benefit of most of it. If so, people need to reconcile themselves to the possibility that this is how things will play out. We have a large surplus of central midfielders. We badly need players elsewhere. In this offseason, we need to turn central mids into defenders or wingers, and it's not likely that shedding Grabavoy and Johanson will get it done. It may take a Mix or a Poku.
Grabs & Erik shedding would get you $300k+ cap space and a international slot. Unless Poku wants to go, selling him would be first (?) dumb roster move of the new regime.

It's the job of the organization to step back from the emotional attachment to a player. Selling on a player like Poku allows more roster flexibility. If that is what is best for the club, then so be it. But it again points to the clusterfuck that Kreis put together that our most promising asset is to be sold to unravel the Wingert/Grabavoy/Jacobson/Brovsky poo-poo platter that was purchased last year.

I would love to see what CFG does with all the paltry salary cap relief we receive for Poku. And I don't believe NYCFC would get that much in transfer fee. 60% was the last number I saw.

Unless Poku wants to leave, don't sell him. We need more Poku not less.