Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Honestly I believe it's pretty sad that we've come to the point already, before kicking a ball, that our supporters are fighting amongst one another.
It's putting us, the staff, in a very uncomfortable position. We simply can't suspend everyone and honestly I don't want to.
It's one thing if we're arguing about a contract. It's another when we bring affiliations into this.
A fans affiliation to MCFC or other teams shouldn't be something they have to hide here. @einwindir is a Swansea fan. @Falastur and myself are both MCFC supporters. I know a number of you support other English sides. Lots of other people that were still attending Cosmos and RBNY games before seasons end. At the end of the day we were all brought here to support one team. To try and grow and foster a new culture.
It's the definition of NYC culture. A melting pot of people with different affiliations, from different places coming together.
What we're seeing is a lot of people disagreeing, which is fine. But when people disagree about a topic and there is also a bridge in regards to team affiliation things just get a bit out of hand.
Granted there is a big divide right now between NYCFC supporters and CFG. That's understandable. Don't blame it on me. On @Falastur or other MCFC supporters. Nor should we allow it to divide the fan base. I think at the same time us MCFC fans need to perform a reality check and understand that our organization and CFG screwed up. That's pretty obvious.

Something I've considered now has been closing the site down for a bit, pruning it and reopening. Our neighbors just lost one of their best coaches in team history and after all that they've accomplished with him... Now that's something to be up in arms about. I'm sure they're not at each other's throats. That's an issue you take to the team. You make sure your organization knows your displeasure. Not something you alienate fellow fans over.
There's going to be a lot of people at Yankee stadium next year that joined in on this journey via MCFC. And I hope them or their kids don't have to listen to 'wank city' chants. I hope it's something we don't have to see here anymore either.
As a new club there isn't a single supporter on here that's SOLELY a NYCFC supporter. You all came here from another team. RESPECT that.
For fuck sake the chief executive officer is the same as MCFC's. You're basically yelling at yourself.
I know that come game day things will all settle down. Much of this will be behind us. But in the meantime THIS IS NOT going to be a forum where people have to reserve their opinions for fear of being alienated by other supporters.
The trolling and the nonsense has to stop or we're just going to shut down. Clean it all up and put rules in place that will ultimately make this a place where people WANT to come to discuss football and NYCFC. Right now I don't think we're there. I think we're at a point where people aren't too sure why they're even here or if they even want to support this team and they're taking that out on fellow members instead of our FO.

Addition:
Everyone is caught up on the Lampard issue when there's so many good things going on. Half the people don't even realize we just picked up almost 10 new players in the last month. No discussions regarding those players. Villa is swept completely under the rug and the guys is living in the city and posting pictures from around it and representing us. No comments.
There's the super draft coming up in a few days and hardly much discussion over the last week. Really makes me wonder where people's heads are at. Are we ALWAYS just going to focus on the negatives. The club is going through one of its most important months and no one cares or is just so hung up on Lampard that they don't realize it.
Get off the negatives and focus on the positives. Otherwise we could win a championship and people will be complaining about something.

Last edited:
Honestly I believe it's pretty sad that we've come to the point already, before kicking a ball, that our supporters are fighting amongst one another.
It's putting us, the staff, in a very uncomfortable position. We simply can't suspend everyone and honestly I don't want to.
It's one thing if we're arguing about a contract. It's another when we bring affiliations into this.
A fans affiliation to MCFC or other teams shouldn't be something they have to hide here. @einwindir is a Swansea fan. @Falastur and myself are both MCFC supporters. I know a number of you support other English sides. Lots of other people that were still attending Cosmos and RBNY games before seasons end. At the end of the day we were all brought here to support one team. To try and grow and foster a new culture.
It's the definition of NYC culture. A melting pot of people with different affiliations, from different places coming together.
What we're seeing is a lot of people disagreeing, which is fine. But when people disagree about a topic and there is also a bridge in regards to team affiliation things just get a bit out of hand.
Granted there is a big divide right now between NYCFC supporters and CFG. That's understandable. Don't blame it on me. On @Falastur or other MCFC supporters. Nor should we allow it to divide the fan base. I think at the same time us MCFC fans need to perform a reality check and understand that our organization and CFG screwed up. That's pretty obvious.

Something I've considered now has been closing the site down for a bit, pruning it and reopening. Our neighbors just lost one of their best coaches in team history and after all that they've accomplished with him... Now that's something to be up in arms about. I'm sure they're not at each other's throats. That's an issue you take to the team. You make sure your organization knows your displeasure. Not something you alienate fellow fans over.
There's going to be a lot of people at Yankee stadium next year that joined in on this journey via MCFC. And I hope them or their kids don't have to listen to 'wank city' chants. I hope it's something we don't have to see here anymore either.
As a new club there isn't a single supporter on here that's SOLELY a NYCFC supporter. You all came here from another team. RESPECT that.
For fuck sake the chief executive officer is the same as MCFC's. You're basically yelling at yourself.
I know that come game day things will all settle down. Much of this will be behind us. But in the meantime THIS IS NOT going to be a forum where people have to reserve their opinions for fear of being alienated by other supporters.
The trolling and the nonsense has to stop or we're just going to shut down. Clean it all up and put rules in place that will ultimately make this a place where people WANT to come to discuss football and NYCFC. Right now I don't think we're there. I think we're at a point where people aren't too sure why they're even here or if they even want to support this team and they're taking that out on fellow members instead of our FO.

Amen.

Reactions: Jade Thompson

Thanks Dan and agree for the most part. I think a lot of this has reached a boiling point because our club has been silent and let MCFC do the talking for them both. No public posting, no email to the people who have invested money into season tickets and no phone calls. To date they have not been forthright or contrite. Disappointment and some anger is then reasonably directed to MCFC and the closest extension to that is the overt MCFC supporters here saying "time to move on", etc...

You and your team have created a great forum that most of us appreciate but it is a forum for NYCFC. Most of us have no allegiance to MCFC and don't see this as a place to blindly (or otherwise) accept a "them over us" rule.

Cooler heads soon, I'm sure. ;)

Reactions: kylelovescrayons
I know things are boiling over and tempers are flaring but we got to stick together and if it means getting an email together and everyone sending it hey let's do that.

The constant sniping at MCFC is understandable but upsetting. For those of us that are City supporters it's tough to deal with when you're as excited about the NYCFC project as you are about the Manchester product. I understand and am behind a lot of the complaining but taking shots at MCFC just gets tired and counterproductive. I appreciate your work on this and understand how tough it has to be.

This is NY
People from one neighborhood don't want people from another neighborhood walking down their block.
I've seen yankee fans come to blows over the name on the back of someones shirt.
I think its pretty well behaved.
I wonder what the Philly form is like.

Reactions: Drainyoo
Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but to me it seems like everyone on here as been pretty fine and civil. I don't know, maybe I missed a specific back and forth that went down. Believe me, this place is pretty calm compared to some forums I've been on.

I'm thinking there's some we don't see as the mods have zapped it (appropriately).

This is NY
People from one neighborhood don't want people from another neighborhood walking down their block.
I've seen yankee fans come to blows over the name on the back of someones shirt.
Well, if someone is wearing a Yankee jersey with a name on it, they deserve all the blows they get!

I think it is telling that nobody bothers anyone on the man city threads, where fans of that team can say whatever they want. However, every NYC thread is filled with fans who admit they are not NYC fans repeating the same thing over and over.
I am purposely not engaging, but no one here has any problems with anyone who is trying to be a NYC fan.

It may not be my place to say this, but I don't know if now is the right time for a "Come to Jesus" meeting.

This is still a heated topic, and it shouldn't surprise anyone that there's a lot of hostility towards those who defend a club that many here (including myself here) feel slighted by. We're still getting new information by the day on this charade, and it would show how little people here really care about this club if there weren't any hostility at this time.

Until the club actually does right by their supporters and makes changes that improve the situation for all, I'm confident that many here will struggle to grit their teeth as they're told that we all fit into the grand City plan. There's a total power imbalance in the club's relationship with Manchester, and many MCFC supporters do come here to further cement that relationship to supporters of our club.

I'm not talking about you, Falastur, or many of the other fans who clearly place your City allegiances aside when posting on NYC issues, to be clear. I look forward to each time you guys post - you're smart dudes, and I appreciate your opinions.

I'm fine with those who are reasonable, patient, and understanding of our situation. I can't care less what team you support. But the fact is that many MCFC supporters who have come here to "banter" about this have created a massive mistrust of that club and many of their fans in my eyes, and being told that I need to consider their opinions carefully isn't something I welcome with open arms.

This is your site, so you're fully within your rights to suspend and prune as you please (including me, for that matter.) But in my humble view, this is an ill timed move that doesn't appropriately consider the context of what fans (that don't have a City background) have dealt with to stick with this club. It's not been easy, and we'd have to have been lobotomized to not be a bit pissy.

I don't get why a few people come to this forum specifically to at best play devils advocate at worst blatantly attack NYCFC fans with complete nonsense. Makes me sad for them that they have nothing else to do with their time.

I've followed the USMNT for the past two world cups, before that I wasn't a soccer fan at all besides playing 10 years of AYSO growing up in NYC. I have nowhere near the knowledge of most people here, so I tend to stay quiet and just learn from reading what more knowledgeable forum members have to add.

That being said, I do notice what Dan is talking about, most of the threads in the past week have turned into screw CFG/CFG did nothing wrong banter - sometimes civil sometimes not - but either way really boring/unproductive.

I just want to support NYCFC and be kept in the loop of the teams dealing and hear analysis by the knowledgeable members of the form. I would prefer not to have to skim through post after post of nonsense about screw this person, screw that person, screw this organization, etc.

This is NY
I'd love to know what neighborhood that goes on in. This is the crux of the issue as far as I'm concerned. We are supposed to be family here but everyone is busy screaming at each other when we are supposed to be FAMILY. I get we didn't get a good deal with Lampard here. I really get it but we have so much else to be happy and excited about. They will fix all this and things will be awesome for us here in New York. I'm here and a season ticket holder. I have every bit of faith that NYCFC is going to be the best team in the MLS.

Reactions: mrplow2000
Closing or suspending this forum would be a big mistake. A few bad seeds shouldn't ruin it for the rest of us. There will always be disagreements but this is a great place to hash those things out (when it doesn't resort to name calling). There will always be keyboard warriors and trolls but that's par for the course. This forum has done more to bring people together than divide us in my opinion. I think this whole club and the idea of it were always going to be divisive but that will change once we play some games finally. People come here because they want to be here. The more discussion the better.

That's what gets me too. Everyone is caught up on the Lampard issue when there's so many good things going on. Half the people don't even realize we just picked up almost 10 new players in the last month. No discussions regarding those players. Villa is swept completely under the rug and the guys is living in the city and posting pictures from around it and representing us. No comments.
There's the super draft coming up in a few days and hardly much discussion over the last week. Really makes me wonder where people's heads are at. Are we ALWAYS just going to focus on the negatives. The club is going through one of its most important months and no one cares or is just so hung up on Lampard that they don't realize it.
Get off the negatives and focus on the positives. Otherwise we could win a championship and people will be complaining about something.

Call out the negatives for sure. It's deserved but it's tough to come here and participate with any other point of view when the second you disagree you're told to leave or we are ignoring you.

I know we will get past this. Lampard will be deservedly forgotten when this club ascends to the top of the MLS.

Call out the negatives for sure. It's deserved but it's tough to come here and participate with any other point of view when the second you disagree you're told to leave or we are ignoring you.

I know we will get past this. Lampard will be deservedly forgotten when this club ascends to the top of the MLS.
With all fairness there's a lot more to this forum than CFG and Lampard posts. I say this to every MCFC supporter. Very few take my advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.