International Champions Cup - US-based summer friendlies

Falastur

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 20, 2014
Herts, UK
Not sure how well-known it is with you guys already, but over summer a number of European teams will be contesting the "International Champions Cup" friendly tournament, hosted over a range of US cities. The teams entering as as follows:

Group A

Manchester United
Real Madrid
F.C. Inter
AS Roma

Group B

Liverpool FC
Manchester City
Olympiacos
AC Milan

...and the venues:

Sun Life Stadium, Miami
Citi Field, NY
University of Phoenix Stadium, Phoenix
Sports Authority Field, Denver
Heinz Field, Pittsburgh
Soldier Field, Chicago
FedExField, DC
Cotton Bowl, Dallas
Yankee Stadium, NY
Lincoln Financial Field, Philly
Boa Field, Charlotte
TCF Stadium, Minneapolis

You can see a full breakdown of the schedule here:

http://internationalchampionscup.com/schedule/sch/

Even though it's a friendly tournament, there will be a Final between the winner of each group and a cup to be awarded, although they won't have the "placement finals" of last year, where they had a 3rd place play-off, 5th place play-off, 7th place play-off etc. Should be an interesting tournament, if very close to the end of the World Cup, so perhaps a little lacking in the more famous names among the starting line-ups.

Anyone planning on going? Already got tickets?

Reactions: MrMartinezNYC
Planning on going to the Liverpool game at Yankee Stadium. Not the best venue but I've always wanted to see my team play

YES! I plan on going to the Miami final!
Hopefully city gets there. Would love a chance to watch them play in person :)

Planning on going to the Liverpool game at Yankee Stadium. Not the best venue but I've always wanted to see my team play
I would definitely like to attend that game. I support Spurs, but nonetheless these are two of the best in EPL, would love to get a chance to see them in person.

Would also give us a preview of what NYCFC games would be like if we end up playing in Yankee Stadium, as we all expect.

I wanted to buy tickets to the Miami finals and the majority are sold out. This is great to see!
Will be driving down with a few friends and getting a hotel.

NBC Sports: Manchester United will face Real Madrid at the Big House, Michigan Stadium, in front of a crowd of maybe 115,000 this summer

Shame it'll be a total blowout.

Two of the world’s biggest soccer clubs will do battle in the USA’s biggest stadium, as Manchester United and Real Madrid will play in Michigan this August.

As part of the International Champions Cup, United and Real will square off at Michigan Stadium on August 2 in front of an expected crowd of over 100,000. The news initially leaked out many months ago, but only today has the game been confirmed.

‘The Big House’ will be rocking.

The last time these European giants met was in the last 16 of the 2012-13 Champions League, as Madrid won 3-2 on aggregate. Over the years these illustrious clubs have squared off many times, as Ann Arbor is in for a real treat when the English and Spanish heavyweights clash on the outskirts of Detroit.

Manchester United group managing director Richard Arnold is looking forward to seeing United take to the pitch against Real.

“United’s match against Real Madrid, presented by Chevrolet, promises to be an exciting event for players and fans alike. Playing such strong opposition will be great preparation for David Moyes and his team as we look forward to the 2014-15 season,” Arnold said. “This will be the team’s first ever match in Michigan and playing at the iconic Big House will be a memorable experience for all involved. United has over eight million followers in the US, and I look forward to welcoming many of these fans to Tour 2014.”

Storylines to watch out for include Cristiano Ronaldo squaring off against the club where he made his name, plus Gareth Bale going up against the team who were said to have chased his signature when he left Tottenham last season. Plus in the dugout David Moyes and Carlo Ancelotti will lock horns, in an intriguing ‘friendly’ that is sure to capture the imagination of sports fans across the globe.

This star-studded match is part of United’s tour and will be presented by Chevrolet, who also happen to be United’s new shirt sponsor from next season. The American car manufacture will adorn the front of the Red Devils jerseys for seven-years from this summer onwards and the match will be play close to General Motors’ HQ to usher in their new partnership with United. It is all starting to add up now, right?

United are set to announce more details on their U.S. tour in due course, as the visit the States for this first time since 2011.

That will be a sick game though. 100,000 people? Hopefully it's a sellout and we see a killer atmosphere.