Invasion Of Red Cows Arena

Personally I really can't stand the RBNY feud. It's baseless and a waste of time.
If you look at where ATL's supporters group is compared to ours they're miles ahead. This SG needs to buckle down and start making progress and not worry about RBNY.

Reactions: Gene
"This SG needs to buckle down and start making progress and not worry about RBNY."

100% agree with this sentiment. I'm as excited for a NY Derby as anyone, but let's not stoke a fire before we even have a team.

As for an answer to OPs question: The first Derby @ RBA!

The feud isn't baseless. NYCFC has done many things already to take jabs at RBNJ. Yea we don't have a team and haven't played a game, but the battle for the city began last may when we were announced. The rivalry wilk only increase when games start, but therivalry and feud or whatever you wanna call it has been around for a while and isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: Nick Chavez
Personally I really can't stand the RBNY feud. It's baseless and a waste of time.
If you look at where ATL's supporters group is compared to ours they're miles ahead. This SG needs to buckle down and start making progress and not worry about RBNY.

I agree that the SG needs to buckle down and make more progress, which also means trying to recruit others to the cause.

However, Johnny's right... the rivalry is already very real. A lot of people were concerned that this would be a "plastic rivalry" contrived by MLS to try to create more excitement, but the fact is, RBNY fans, for the most part, already hate our guts, and the first fans of NYCFC, and there are some, have been making their voices heard as well. Cosmos also hate us, possibly even more than RBNY. This rivalry is going to be very heated, and it's already very real. We'll see how real it is once our fanbase really starts increasing, and our SG really takes off. And we have some responsibility in making that happen as you said, Dan.

Reactions: Johnny
I don't think it's baseless - the rivalry is a natural one and of course should be very real. I would be disappointed if it wasn't. That said, to invade their stadium at this point seems a little...I don't know, big for our britches? I'm confident the team will be a powerhouse and that we'll have plenty of opportunity to stick it to RBNY, but it just seems a little premature at this point to "invade" their stadium. We can use the (inherent) rivalry to boost the fan base for now, and when the time is right we will be able to really show not just RBNY but the rest of MLS the force we can be.

Is invading rivals' stadiums something that happens in the US? Or is this just an idea someone came up with?

No, not particularly. It really only happens when you'd expect it to - when the two teams would be playing each other.

I agree. As real as the rivalry is, showing up there would be premature. I know many people here are currently following/supporting red bull so they might not agree, but I can't stand RBNJ and am going to do whatever I can to further the rivalry. Whether you like it or not, the rivalry is here and isn't going anywhere, so I suggest joinin on and embrace it. this is OUR city not theirs, the turf battle is on.

Is invading rivals' stadiums something that happens in the US? Or is this just an idea someone came up with?
Pretty sure you wouldn't leave without bruises and some loss of blood if you did that anywhere else. Being an out of state supporter I guess I don't see it myself. I can understand someone that lives in the City getting heated about it.

Pretty sure you wouldn't leave without bruises and some loss of blood if you did that anywhere else. Being an out of state supporter I guess I don't see it myself. I can understand someone that lives in the City getting heated about it.

Honestly, as long as you don't go to opposition stadiums looking for a fight, people are generally pretty cool. I'm a Mets fan and I make it to Citizen's Bank at least twice a year. There are always people who will try to bait you into a fight or talk trash, but you expect that (I once was playfully threatened with a machete in the parking lot, but we had a good laugh about it). The thing that's nice about away support in Europe is they generally have their own section. I really wish that would happen in the US, but it doesn't apart from when whole groups of people go and buy tickets in giant blocks at a time.

As long as you keep your cheering only in support of your own team (and not as much that the home team sucks), keep from interacting with belligerent fans and don't get too drunk while you're there, away games can be quite enjoyable.

what do we need to do to get things rolling? I'm the admin of the supporters twitter and the Facebook. everyone can't even agree on a name for the supporters group which is what we need to base everything on. website, merch, etc. we need a NAME

Everybody isn't going to agree on one name. I think we need to set a date soon say vote by this, whatever has most votes is our name. There's really no other fair way. I agree with you that we can't do anything until the name, so lets settle that and move on.

what do we need to do to get things rolling? I'm the admin of the supporters twitter and the Facebook. everyone can't even agree on a name for the supporters group which is what we need to base everything on. website, merch, etc. we need a NAME

As someone said above me that's not going to happen. Can't expect everyone to agree on one thing. Even a majority might not as there are plenty of good names. Your best bet if you want to get moving is to just go with NYCFC SG.
It's very easy to change the name of a website later on.

We won't know if we have a majority until someboday makes an executive decision that makes people really consider the name. All this keep suggestions coming stuff has to stop. We need to pick two or even three names, have a vote for say a week, one vote per person and then that's the name. Atlanta doesn't start until 2017 and are already ahead of us. Yes there SG had been established already, but they can move forward because it's established. Discussion is good, but moves HAVE to be made. We aren't going to magically all agree on a name or bar or whatever. Somebody needs to take control so we can be taken seriously and be recognized by people like Terminus Legion already has.

The top 3 on the Facebook poll are:

The Third Rail/Third Rail SC
The Natives
New Amsterdam Army

We should have one final poll with those 3 and go from there

Reactions: Johnny
I can't think of a better way to isolate potential future fans and surround yourself with a few hundred Red Bull supporters suddenly pissed that you showed up to root for the other team.

I really like the Terminus Legion's (Atlanta's new SG) strategy. Commit to a name, be cool people, host fun events, get some scarves made, and organize. The goal here should be winning over new fans and fence-sitting Red Bull/Cosmos fans itching for a true New York MLS team.

Call yourselves NYCFC Supporters, arrange a first meeting, elect a board from everyone who attended the meeting, and set up regular meeting times. Get yourselves a president, secretary, and treasurer. Then get in touch with the more approachable supporters groups in MLS. Try the Timbers Army. They are crazy sons of bitches that get a diverse group of a couple thousand men and women showing up for every damn game. TA's informal motto is something like, "if you think you want to be in the Timber's Army, you already are." By all accounts, they are very cool people. Arrange a conference call with your board and a TA rep and start asking questions. Or get in touch with Terminus Legion. They're new too, but very organized, and might be willing to help out another new group.

Also, try to be nice, welcoming people. I know it's not totally apparent here or on Facebook, but not many people actually know about this team, and fewer know about the supporter's group. From what I've heard, Viking Army/Empire Supporters are a bit insular and tough to join as a newbie. NYCFC Supporters should be the alternative. I'd save the arena invasions for when there's a derby and we actually have a team to show for it.

Last edited:
I think Anthony have said Time and Time again that the name needs to be picked and everyone else says nooooooo give it time, more ideas, more ideas

Reactions: Buckley
I really don't think a name should be picked on Facebook. Facebook is too accessible and informal. It's also open to people from other cities/states/countries who won't be going to every game. Heck, it's open to fans of other teams for that matter. I don't think these people should be overly relied upon for making decisions, especially one like deciding the SG's name. These things need to be decided in person. A name should be decided by those dedicated enough to show up for meetings and form the core of the group.

Last edited:
Its of deep concern to me that any suggestion of the word "army" is that high in any poll. Its a absolutely terrible name the most formulaic choice of all. Most people seem to like Portland but everytime I see that "timbers army" banner its incredible lack of creativity stands out. As for the name its an obsession with gimmicks and calling it NYCFC SG could be the best thing. I very much doubt that will happen as there's an obsessive determination to come up with something. Even if that means settling for second best it seems just as long as its something. Third rail I certainly like more than the other 2 and at least it symbolises danger. That's a good thing look at what the "Warzone" board is all about and its been an instant success.

Its about time somebody based in NY stepped up to be the leader. That's not the way I originally suggested things be done but "cult of personality" isn't essentially a dictatorship. Chance Michaels would be a good candidate in my view especially with his administration strengths (legal, etc) but already stated he does not want to be referred to as leader. Nick Chavez would be another excellent candidate with his huge ambitions for any SC to be bigger than SOB. Right now does this group look like its going to be as big and well organised as SOB? There does not have to be the name "leader" but rather "chairman" or something else. I think those 2 are the outstanding candidates and that's not supposed to be a slight on others who are high profile. I just feel those two represent the big picture best. Certainly the media credentials Chavez has will prove to be very useful for official club press conferences, etc.

Invading RB would be excellent for publicity and that should be the key goal. Publicity. If it came across as a publicity stunt then so be it. That would be a picture that would be widely circulated around MLS circles. There should be no warning beforehand either it should be planned in private until NYCFC fans show up at a game out of nowhere. Whether that involves just being outside prematch or buying tickets either would be good.

Also that NYCFC Supporters account needs to be more official statements and less personal and opinionated. Since you already have a 2nd twitter account Buckley that's what should be used for opinions. That might seem like a minor thing but anything even minor has to be taken into consideration.

I've already gone into the "fans forum" idea numerous times and my thoughts on that bar hunt have already been covered. Don't expect people to go back and read that so hopefully enough people will remember such points. Because I refuse to do short posts its hard not to sometimes reference the same things.

Though I emphasise the point again that anything with the word "army" be scrapped on grounds that it absolutely sucks.

Reactions: RayRayAma