It's Official: David Villa

Does that mean they are all equally competent at scouting and developing players? I would assume that NYCFC would have a leg up right from the start (at least when compared to other expansion teams) thanks to the CFG involvement.
I'm not sure NYCFC would have a leg up. Some MLS academies are really good. And I don't think we know how ManCity's existing academy will help NYCFC. As it stands now NYCFC has done very little to start their own academy in NYC.

Reactions: Kjbert
Maybe they can share what they learn with the Spanish and English.

-drum roll-

Thanks I'm here all week!

The joke was great and credible aside from including Spain—we have some of the best young talent on earth.

England, on the other hand, completely fair game. ;)

I'm not sure NYCFC would have a leg up. Some MLS academies are really good. And I don't think we know how ManCity's existing academy will help NYCFC. As it stands now NYCFC has done very little to start their own academy in NYC.

I believe Paul may have been alluding to the CFG scouting network, which is expansive and much more developed than anything in the MLS at this time.

Beyond that, I agree, It is yet to be seen how MCFC's academy will contribute to NYC's progress. If the investment in youth development in Manchester is any indication NYCFC should have the necessary resources to create a great system.

CFG isn't dumb. You need to grow your own talent. Their purchases should help them in developing young talent around the world in places that historically lack an output of quality, despite a population that should support more talent (Japan, USA and Australia).

There's a great book out there that talks about the nations that should rule soccer in the 21st Century - I believe the three nations they pointed out were the US, Australia and Saudi Arabia.

Australia?? They seem too small in population and have too much of an established culture in other sports to overcome. We have 22x more people in the USA.

Why did they say Australia? I can see Saudi Arabia (more populous than Australia), as the entire middle east might flood into their league. But Australia doesn't have the same regional support either.

CFG isn't dumb. You need to grow your own talent. Their purchases should help them in developing young talent around the world in places that historically lack an output of quality, despite a population that should support more talent (Japan, USA and Australia).

There's a great book out there that talks about the nations that should rule soccer in the 21st Century - I believe the three nations they pointed out were the US, Australia and Saudi Arabia.

If you are referring to Soccernomics, the five countries proposed as potentially dominating football in the future are the US, Japan, Australia, Turkey, and Iraq. I believe there is evidence for all being viable candidates save Iraq, which in ten years time may not exist in the form analysed by the authors.

As far as the youth development system is considered, as I indicated in my previous post, I definitely would encourage all NYCFC supporters to read/watch this information about MCFC's investment in our academy:

http://www.mcfc.com/The-Club/City-Football-Academy

Our ownership group believes sustainable success is predicated upon community involvement, youth development, and focused expansion. NYCFC will likely have the same mentality.

Australia?? They seem too small in population and have too much of an established culture in other sports to overcome. We have 22x more people in the USA.

Why did they say Australia? I can see Saudi Arabia (more populous than Australia), as the entire middle east might flood into their league. But Australia doesn't have the same regional support either.

Unfortunately, if Kjbert is indeed referencing Soccernomics, the edition I read merely referenced Gus Hiddink's exploits in "teaching" the Australians how to properly play football. It was a bit of an exercise in condescension (though Hiddink did work wonders) and very light on substantive evidence supporting how Australia would continue to develop beyond just the deployment of proper tactics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert