Kwadwo Poku [Midfielder]

I think we have to accept that Poku is one of those "enjoy em while you got em" players. He'll move on to bigger and better things in the future, but hopefully not for a couple of years at least.

I think we have to accept that Poku is one of those "enjoy em while you got em" players. He'll move on to bigger and better things in the future, but hopefully not for a couple of years at least.

YOU THE MAN!!!
RyrCwbg.jpg

Poku left off Ghana's roster for WCQ game against Comoros.

He's still… technically able to be cap tied for the USMNT.

Reactions: BEC SPK and Gavin23
“Jason Kreis gets a ton of credit here,” Wynalda said of the former NYCFC coach, who was let go by the club in November. “Where a lot of other people were tripping on their feet, he moved. Without Jason making that call, I don’t know where Poku is today.”

**cough**

One of his best friends from Ghana, who now also lives in NY, sat next to me for a couple of games last season. From speaking with him, I got the impression that Poku really is such a sweet humble guy.

Reactions: FootyLovin
We're probably going to sell him in 1-2 years if this upward trend in his performance continues. Most likely Man City will steal him away because Yaya is going to be out soon.

Reactions: NYCFCFan10 and Jock
“Jason Kreis gets a ton of credit here,” Wynalda said of the former NYCFC coach, who was let go by the club in November. “Where a lot of other people were tripping on their feet, he moved. Without Jason making that call, I don’t know where Poku is today.”

**cough**
Is that the same coach who tried to trade poku? And shit on him in interviews?

Reactions: Jock and FootyLovin
I can hear the front office now:
"We would like to thank Kwadwo Poku for his time here at NYCFC and wish him best of luck in England with Manchester City. Forget how great he was and how he could be great for us for another 6 years cause we are gonna pull in a veteran of the game Yaya Toure who is just looking for a nice place to retire because MCFC doesn't want him anymore and they want Poku! We are so lucky to be connect with Manchester City!"
Step off my Poku MCFC.

Reactions: BxLio91 and LionNYC
Great story. However, when you finish reading the story, you have to wonder how many individuals who were in a similar position as Poku fell through the cracks. Poku had to fight through a lot of adversity to get to where he is now, but he also had that lucky break with Wynalda and Kreis. I wonder how many young prodigies faced the same (or even worse) adversity but never caught that one break to achieve their dreams? This is the reason why I believe NYCFC need to allocate much of its resources to scouting & development (especially in the greater NYC area)

Look at what the NY Red Bulls have done these past few years. Last I checked, they have 11 (!) homegrown players on their active roster. If NYCFC can aspire to develop their academy to anywhere near where the NYRB currently are, I suspect we won't be seeing the last "Poku type player" breaking into our senior squad.

As for Poku's development, you can't stop the man from moving on to bigger & better things if he has the ambition. We all aspire to the same things in our respective careers. If a bigger team/league comes calling for his talents, I believe NYCFC should listen to offers.

Great story. However, when you finish reading the story, you have to wonder how many individuals who were in a similar position as Poku fell through the cracks. Poku had to fight through a lot of adversity to get to where he is now, but he also had that lucky break with Wynalda and Kreis. I wonder how many young prodigies faced the same (or even worse) adversity but never caught that one break to achieve their dreams? This is the reason why I believe NYCFC need to allocate much of its resources to scouting & development (especially in the greater NYC area)

Look at what the NY Red Bulls have done these past few years. Last I checked, they have 11 (!) homegrown players on their active roster. If NYCFC can aspire to develop their academy to anywhere near where the NJRB currently are, I suspect we won't be seeing the last "Poku type player" breaking into our senior squad.

As for Poku's development, you can't stop the man from moving on to bigger & better things if he has the ambition. We all aspire to the same things in our respective careers. If a bigger team/league comes calling for his talents, I believe NYCFC should listen to offers.

Eventually, we'll have the best academy in America. But we also need a stadium and another place for the actual academy.