Kwadwo Poku [Midfielder]

This club got seriously lucky when they took the chance to sign him. He has so much raw talent and fight every time he is on the field it's unbelievable. By 2018 he will either be gone to Europe or signed a DP contract if he doesn't get injured. Either way he deserves the best for him.

I like that you think Poku will still be here by then, very optimistic.
How interested is he in getting his US citizenship? That could keep him around through another contract.

According to Glenn Crooks the reason Poku hasn't been starting/making bench is due to his lack of effort in training.
I can see this being the case as he plays on a high level in games and I don't think he can sustain it in training and then come into a game at the same level due to fatigue.
I mean if that's the case and after a year now our staff still hasn't improved on this it's an all around failure.

According to Glenn Crooks the reason Poku hasn't been starting/making bench is due to his lack of effort in training.
I can see this being the case as he plays on a high level in games and I don't think he can sustain it in training and then come into a game at the same level due to fatigue.
I mean if that's the case and after a year now our staff still hasn't improved on this it's an all around failure.

If Poku is the next Yaya Toure, you have to ask yourself, does Yaya go 100% in training everyday? Probably not, but Yaya is still Yaya. So let Poku be Poku.

iverson.jpeg

Last edited:
One of the interesting things to know about Poku would be how much his apparent persistent lack of fitness is down to not working hard enough as opposed to physical limitations. There is a natural tendency to assume the former -- train harder = be fitter. But, while there is certainly a very strong positive correlation between training effort and fitness, it is also a physical skill that varies across people.

I remember reading a piece on Sebastien Letoux from Philadelphia a while back that talked about how his body has an abnormally strong ability to recover from sprinting. So, he can sprint and be ready to go again more quickly than most humans (or even most pro athletes) because, I assume, his heart settles down quickly.

There are natural variations like that and I do wonder if Poku, for all his natural physical gifts in other aspects, is physically limited in terms of building stamina.

Just some musing during the midweek lull and impossible to know from the outside.

Last edited:

"'I thought Poku had poor body language at the training session, and I know how Patrick wants his players to close down defensively" Crooks added, noting that Vieira was known to put in a hard shift both on and off the pitch during his playing days. "Poku was the only player who wasn't working to maximum effort, and then not too much further after that observation Vieria shouts out to Poku ''close down, more intensity". When I say poor body language I mean he wasn't as engaged as he could be." Crooks said.

For now, the question of whether Poku will play in the next game can be answered best by Poku himself
."

If this is the case, then I don't blame Vieira at all. I can't remember exactly, but didn't Poku start in the Puerto Rico game? If so, we all watched him play past the 90 mark, then burn a few defenders and a goalie while putting in the winning shot. If he can do that in a game but get "fatigued" at practice, I think it's likely more a problem of motivation. In that case, I wouldn't start him either, especially when Vieira is so big on "togetherness."

At the same time, it's pretty hard to imagine considering the story about his history, not finding a team, etc. He should be the most motivated and most hardworking. Get your shit together Pokester, we fuckin need you.

"'I thought Poku had poor body language at the training session, and I know how Patrick wants his players to close down defensively" Crooks added, noting that Vieira was known to put in a hard shift both on and off the pitch during his playing days. "Poku was the only player who wasn't working to maximum effort, and then not too much further after that observation Vieria shouts out to Poku ''close down, more intensity". When I say poor body language I mean he wasn't as engaged as he could be." Crooks said.

For now, the question of whether Poku will play in the next game can be answered best by Poku himself
."

If this is the case, then I don't blame Vieira at all. I can't remember exactly, but didn't Poku start in the Puerto Rico game? If so, we all watched him play past the 90 mark, then burn a few defenders and a goalie while putting in the winning shot. If he can do that in a game but get "fatigued" at practice, I think it's likely more a problem of motivation. In that case, I wouldn't start him either, especially when Vieira is so big on "togetherness."

At the same time, it's pretty hard to imagine considering the story about his history, not finding a team, etc. He should be the most motivated and most hardworking. Get your shit together Pokester, we fuckin need you.

How can a 24 year old professional athlete not have the stamina to go as hard or harder in practice than his 30+ year old teammates? He either has a serious health condition which one would have assumed they would have found by now or he's got a serious effort/poor conditioning problem. For as many flashes of offensive talent we see on the field we have seen the lack of effort on the defensive end in games a well, everyone just over looks it because of how good the offense is.

Poku has the size and athleticism to be a box to box destroyer like Yaya but plays defense like he thinks he's Juan Mata or Ozil. Poku's idea of transition defense and midfield positioning are both the same: jog casually back to the space 10 yards up field from the top of the box, watch his teammates play defense, hope they get a stop and send the outlet pass his way so he can start the break.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Is this an argument for Poku to play alongside Villa up top in 4-4-2 or 3-3-4?

If he doesn't adapt to PV's defensive/effort expectations maybe he is a perfect partner for Villa.

#mobilepost

I agree, no one can deny that the guy can score goals. We atleast need to try it out.

Reactions: FootyLovin
It's early in the season, but this week will be telling. The spot is wide open in the starting 11. Poku knows that he needs to have a positive week in training. If he doesn't seize the opportunity, it is a bad sign. I am hopeful that we get to see the Poku Magic on Saturday.

Reactions: joe and Paul
PV made it clear that he wanted an improved defensive performance from the whole team, Pirlo is understandable as he is 36 and actually he has been getting more stuck in on defence. if Poku is not gonna work hard then it leaves our vunerable defence exposed so i can see why PV hasnt been playing him.
We will know if something is seriously wrong after this week as mix and tmac who were playing in his position were playing really well and i can see why PV stuck with them. This will be Poku's opportunity though and if he doesnt start i will be very worried