L A F C Crest Leak & Announcement

Those teams barely being able to afford their operating costs doesn't sway me - for them (or any team) the key is marketing, and if you have an unattractive product, then that's on them for whatever the reason.

if they can barely pay their operating costs how can they focus on marketing? :confused: Which comes as secondary if there is no money.

Also the spending power of many of the people living in these countries is small if any at all. So all the marketing in the world won't make a difference. That's why teams do this to get revenue.

A little off topic, but can someone remind me why people think a second club in LA is a good idea and will succeed? It's not like the Galaxy sell out every game...

Reactions: Gavin23
A little off topic, but can someone remind me why people think a second club in LA is a good idea and will succeed? It's not like the Galaxy sell out every game...
It's LA they have two teams for every league in the United States. And as I'm sure you're aware, the Galaxy don't even play within LA city limits. They play way out in the burbs. The new team is supposedly going to be right in the center of downtown LA.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
if they can barely pay their operating costs how can they focus on marketing? :confused: Which comes as secondary if there is no money.

Also the spending power of many of the people living in these countries is small if any at all. So all the marketing in the world won't make a difference. That's why teams do this to get revenue.
For nearly all businesses that hope to sustain themselves, marketing is part of operating costs - for a soccer club, without attendance there aren't ticket/concession sales, and without a loyal following there aren't good sponsorship opportunities - this is all achieved by marketing. They can also have as many sponsors as they want, but my point was that slapping names/logos on a jersey in a haphazard way is not compelling to a paying audience and is easily rectified with a competent graphic designer (could be on staff or a dedicated fan) that can organize the sponsors' logos.

For nearly all businesses that hope to sustain themselves, marketing is part of operating costs - for a soccer club, without attendance there aren't ticket/concession sales, and without a loyal following there aren't good sponsorship opportunities - this is all achieved by marketing. They can also have as many sponsors as they want, but my point was that slapping names/logos on a jersey in a haphazard way is not compelling to a paying audience and is easily rectified with a competent graphic designer (could be on staff or a dedicated fan) that can organize the sponsors' logos.

Lol at graphic designer, again staying afloat is what matters, and lots of teams have no concession stands so there is no revenue there, maybe random vendor here and there. also take into account all the counterfeits that go around which also hurt teams revenue stream so that is another reason why they slap all this crap on the jersey. Do I like it? Hell no but those teams do what they need to to stay afloat.

This is one of the things I have against promotion relegation here. Once a team goes to lower league investors leave and if it doesn't do it right it will fold.

I remember once reading That a Central American League a team once had revenue game day of $7500 and expenses of $5500 lol that's no way to get anything going with that, I assume that expenses amount did not include player wages.

But I digress, im derailing the thread

Last edited:
Reactions: Z4CH3B99 and Gene
It's LA they have two teams for every league in the United States. And as I'm sure you're aware, the Galaxy don't even play within LA city limits. They play way out in the burbs. The new team is supposedly going to be right in the center of downtown LA.
I would daresay the situation isn't that much different than the reasons MLS wanted a second team in the NYC metro area. To be quite blunt about it a second team in a city like L.A. is going to be light years more valuable than a team they stick in places like San Antonio, Las Vegas, St Louis etc.

The two pitches will be 13 miles away on a straight shot of a single highway. Not exactly the Yankee Stadium vs. RBA. By comparison, Dodger Stadium and Angel Stadium are 30+ miles apart and essentially in two different worlds.

Los Angeles metro is the #2 media market in the US. NYC is #1. For MLS the same logic to having two teams in the NYC metro area applies to having two teams in the LA area. Even if LAFC matches were to be televised *only within the LA area* (to which, obviously, it will not actually be restricted) it would still have the potential to be very lucrative. I'd imagine MLS would almost rather have three teams in NYC and LA than any in Minneapolis if our country weren't so frikkin' large, geographically.

The two pitches will be 13 miles away on a straight shot of a single highway. Not exactly the Yankee Stadium vs. RBA. By comparison, Dodger Stadium and Angel Stadium are 30+ miles apart and essentially in two different worlds.
Even on a single highway, those 13 miles could take 6 hours to travel.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Eh, that map doesn't represent the scale of the clubs. Some of those teams will get maybe as 200 fans to a home game, and many of those fans will also support a professional team in the area.

This map is a more sensible depiction of the loyalties of London football fans:

http://web.comhem.se/norre/football_map.gif
I actually almost posted that one instead of the one I did. You're totally right that it's more representative but I liked mine because of the tons of dots in such a small area. Which is basically my point. Even with two stadiums to fill, 4o or 50,000 seats, that really shouldn't be a problem for a metropolitan area with either 13 or 18 million people, depending on how you count it. (New York is 23 million for comparison.)

So while I agree MLS may be better off spreading teams around, the LA area can certainly support two teams.
Yup.

Reactions: Ulrich