M L S Playoff Thread

Gene

Registered
Donor
Mar 19, 2014
Down & Out
Starts off Wednesday night when Vancouver travels to Texas to take on FC Dallas in the one game play in match. Winner of the game gets Seattle on 11/2 to start the 2 game semi finals.

Thursday sees Sporting Kansas City in Harrison to take on the Red Bulls. Winner of the match gets DC United on 11/2.

The Red Bulls-SKC will be televised on ESPN2. Vancouver-Dallas is going to be covered on TSN1........don't know if that game is going to be televised by any US network.

The other semi final match up see New England at Columbus (11/1 on UDN) and Real Salt Lake at L.A. (11/1 on NBCSN). For some reason both those games are starting at 4:00 pm. Hope they change that and move one of those games to later in the day.

In another thread I picked a Red bull v L.A. final.........guess I'll stick with that. What say you?

I'm going to say Seattle defeats New England in the MLS Cup final. That would be the first ever domestic treble (MLS Cup, Supporters Shield and US Open Cup) in history.

I'm going to say Seattle defeats New England in the MLS Cup final. That would be the first ever domestic treble (MLS Cup, Supporters Shield and US Open Cup) in history.
The treble isn't going to happen. Seattle hasn't been playing in top form. The only reason they won the Supporters Shield is because they played well the first half of the season.

Reactions: Kjbert
Sweet mother of pearl, please ban this member forever. Just kidding.

But if that happens, it will suck so bad.

Sweet mother of pearl, please ban this member forever. Just kidding.

But if that happens, it will suck so bad.

haha, I'm not saying I want it to happen. Just seems to me that Seattle has the squad to do it and, even though the second half of the season wasn't great for them, they did handle their business in the last 2 games with LA Galaxy.

I'm going on Thursday and I'm excited about it. I could care less who wins. Will probably root for SKC as I like their style of play. But an Henry led team could be fun in the playoffs.

If they won the whole thing, while being for sale, I think it's good for the league. I also think it helps with the rivalry buzz.

Reactions: Gene
I think the Revs, DC or the Crew look dangerous in playoffs. In the west, RSL, Seattle and maybe Vancouver look dangerous. Can never count out LA.

Just saw on the MLS web page the L.A.--RSL match has been switched to 8:00 Saturday night on NBCSN. Looks like were SOL for the Vancouver--Dallas game.

Dallas beats Vancouver 2-1 last night to move on.

I didn't get a chance to see the game, but from the highlights I just saw over on mls soccer dot com, I thought the Whitecaps got hosed. At 1-1 the ref called a hand ball on Vancouver in the penalty area in the 82'. Looking at the replay I thought it was an extremely soft call. For the ref in the post game presser to call that a deliberate hand ball was absurd.

Anybody see it? What say you?

I also think he just misjudged the trajectory. I don't think anyone would deliberately handball it in their area with the game tied at 10 mins from the end. However I'm split on whether to call that. I would have to go with my gut on the spot. Think the ref was also influenced by the fact they were in Dallas. That playoff crowd was pitiful though. I really hope we can bring it as far as solid attendance.

I don't think it's a handball. Looking at it, it takes a funny bounce, he's trying to get out of the way. I'm just not sure how he could have played that otherwise. Geiger & the MLS officials have doubled down on it after the game, but I don't see it. I think in that case, Geiger needs to swallow the whistle, especially as there's no real advantage they gain by handballing. There wasn't a threat on goal at the time; and FCD threat had already been neutralized immediately prior.

0-0 at the end of the 1st half.

Lower deck looks full, but the upper deck does seem somewhat deserted.

Kronberg just made a great fingertip save against an Henry header to keep SKC up 1-0

Reactions: Gene