Match Recap - Game 2 - Nycfc 2, Ne Revs 0

beaucoup_movement

Registered
Dec 10, 2014
www.theowngoal.com
Had a great time at the game yesterday, here's my post about the game.

NEW YORK 2, NEW ENGLAND 0

It was a night of firsts as New York City FC hosted the defending Eastern Conference Champions. The first game at Yankee Stadium – a venue that will be the club’s home for at least one season – and also New York’s first-ever win. Over 43,000 showed up and the hosts provided the requisite fireworks. Here’s what caught my attention.

David Villa was a menace, and was unquestionably the man of the match. From the game’s first moments he powered the NYC attack, scoring the opening goal in the 19th minute and providing an assist for Patrick Mullins late in the second half. A lot is expected of Villa this season and so far he’s delivering. Tonight he was very clearly the best player on the field for either side. In terms of pure talent that should be the case most weeks, the season opener against Orlando and Kaka was an exception. But talent isn’t the only consideration. I don’t think I’m alone in this, but I always watch MLS Designated Players a little more closely to see how involved they are in the action. It’s something I did constantly with Thierry Henry. No matter what these players say when they arrive the perception of MLS as a “working retirement” exists for a reason, so I try to watch for signs that these aging stars are just going through the motions. It certainly hasn’t been the case with Villa so far. He’s heavily involved at all times, setting up teammates, making runs, creating and taking chances. He harassed New England’s back line throughout the game.

Link to the rest: http://www.theowngoal.com/?p=888

Reactions: Joao Alves
Totally agree about the horrendous security line issue, I must have waited 40 minutes in line to get in. I understand the need for security but that was just ridiculous... It's not like this is a new stadium and haven't done this before... did they not open as many gates as they unusually do for Yankee games? They knew it was going to be a near capacity crowd and should have prepared for such...