Maxime Chanot [Defender]

To me that statement reads like Chanot insists on putting his family first. Can't fault him for that.

To me that statement reads like Chanot insists on putting his family first. Can't fault him for that.

of course not. but it was supposedly also his reason to got here in the first place. who knows what the behind the scenes details are, but i hope he finds a place that makes him happy. wish he could have retired with us.

Reactions: gbservis
It feels like there are 4-5 layers of subtext to that statement and they veer back and forth from "he quit on us" to "we support him in this time of personal difficulty" multiple times.
I like him. I also think I remember he temporarily stepped away from us once for undisclosed family reasons. I don't think we ever learned exactly what that was about. He is clearly fiercely loyal to both club and family, with a strong sense of responsibility. I can imagine he might be a bit more likely than most to request or demand time away for family reasons, but that does not mean he does so lightly or inappropriately.

It feels like there are 4-5 layers of subtext to that statement and they veer back and forth from "he quit on us" to "we support him in this time of personal difficulty" multiple times.
I like him. I also think I remember he temporarily stepped away from us once for undisclosed family reasons. I don't think we ever learned exactly what that was about. He is clearly fiercely loyal to both club and family, with a strong sense of responsibility. I can imagine he might be a bit more likely than most to request or demand time away for family reasons, but that does not mean he does so lightly or inappropriately.

i think he spoke about that in an interview once. if i recall correctly, it had something to do with his daughter. the club allowed him to take time away and it was one of the reasons he gave for loving the club.

I agree, he doesn't seem like the type of guy who is going to go about things inappropriately. I wish him well and where ever he ends up with the final years of his career, we all know he's coming back to NYC for his academy, so we will surely see him in the future.

I understand there may be more to the story, and I am not sure a full time starting position is suitable for a 34 year old centerback, but any hope I may have had for Cushing is long gone.

There is no bond with this team. If we are going to lose - and we are going to lose - at least make it "our" team instead of "a" team.

Tom And Jerry Pain GIF by Boomerang Official

Reactions: JCMore
I understand there may be more to the story, and I am not sure a full time starting position is suitable for a 34 year old centerback, but any hope I may have had for Cushing is long gone.

There is no bond with this team. If we are going to lose - and we are going to lose - at least make it "our" team instead of "a" team.

he left during arguably his best performing season. he, himself, stated he hadn't felt so good before. no injuries, no nothing.

i hope it wasn't cushing's doing, but these events just don't add up otherwise. sad to see him at another team. even if he didn't start, his presence on the squad would have been huge and we sure could have used him in a 3ATB disaster cushing tried to pull in cinci. he's not gonna start in LA either... so i don't accept excuses that he was told he would get less minutes so he got mad and left.

Reactions: gbservis
and we sure could have used him in a 3ATB disaster cushing tried to pull in cinci
Chanot played for Luxembourg on Thursday and would have just been another unavailable player for us.
i don't accept excuses that he was told he would get less minutes so he got mad and left.
I can believe that. It's often hard to accept bad news or criticism from the first person who delivers it and then you accept it later but still don't forgive. That's not uncommon.

I'm not defending Nick or Lee, though. The entire team is a mess right now, and I don't think it unlikely they could have handled Chanot better last year.

Chanot played for Luxembourg on Thursday and would have just been another unavailable player for us.

I can believe that. It's often hard to accept bad news or criticism from the first person who delivers it and then you accept it later but still don't forgive. That's not uncommon.

I'm not defending Nick or Lee, though. The entire team is a mess right now, and I don't think it unlikely they could have handled Chanot better last year.

true. forgot he got sent off in that game. haha

I guess I am not up to date on MLS roster rules, but don’t we still have the rights to him? I think you only give up the rights if you sell the player for over a certain threshold.

It's possible it was just about a reduction in his role but I find it especially hard to believe in Chanots case. Chanot showed no signs of discontent when the team used a DP spot to bring Martins in to start over him at the start of a season earlier in his career. Why would he then get mad later in his career over losing a few starts across a handful of remaining games at the end of a poor season? Chanot had been wearing the captain's armband on and off for years. He was clearly respected by his teammates and a leader on the field. He seemed to enjoy mentoring the young guys. I just don't buy that a guy who carried himself with that kind of integrity and commitment to the club leaves over a disagreement about playing time, especially with so little time left in the season.

I was in the hospital when it all went down last year, so I missed all that. His first game with AC Ajaccio was the day after I was discharged. I was like, "Wait, I think I missed something. Maxime is where?"

When I got out, I felt like I had just been rescued from a deserted island. I was checked out for a while. I didn't even have a soccer ball to talk to.

Anyway, something is definitely weird here:

According to FBRef, he's started and played 90 minutes for Ajaccio in every match since joining them, except for Matchweeks 17, 19, 21 and 27, which he missed entirely. He started and came off after 44' away at Auxerre last Dec. 16, in Matchweek 18, the only match where he played but didn't go all the way. He hasn't subbed on for his club at all.

But here's the thing: after missing Matchweek 17, he started and went the full 90' in the Coupe de France, right in the middle of a stretch where he missed two games and only played half of a third. Then after missing Matchweek 19, he played the full 90' the next five in a row. Then he missed one before going the distance twice more. Next thing you know, he's hopping a flight to Los Angeles with a nasty note from his former club in his pocket.

I don't get it. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
I don't get it. Am I missing something?
No, in that you're up on all he available info.
Yes, in that we all are missing info that would help explain this.

Part of this is on Chanot. He wears his heart on his sleeve but doesn't say much about these issues, so sometimes he is difficult to read. Also, I love him, and I'm not in a mood to defend Nick or David right now, but Maxime just forced 2 mid-season, non-transfer window club contract releases 7 months apart. He demanded to be released from us after our transfer window closed which meant we could not replace him.
The Ajaccio statement says his initial demand to be released from them came late February (6 months after he left NYCFC), which was also just as their transfer window closed. They refused him. Then he somehow made them so upset that a month later they summarily release him with 9 games left in their season as they sit on a 5-game winless streak, and they published their very passive-aggressive statement. Both times were publicly stated to be for family, which somehow required him to be first in Corsica, then Los Angeles. No it doesn't add up.

The constant is Chanot.

Last edited:

Part of this is on Chanot. He wears his heart on his sleeve but doesn't say much about these issues, so sometimes he is difficult to read. Also, I love him, and I'm not in a mood to defend Nick or David right now, but Maxime just forced 2 mid-season, non-transfer window club contract releases 7 months apart. He demanded to be released from us after our transfer window closed which meant we could not replace him.
The Ajaccio statement says his initial demand to be released from them came late February (6 months after he left NYCFC), which was also just as their transfer window closed. They refused him. Then he somehow made them so upset that a month later they summarily release him with 9 games left in their season as they sit on a 5-game winless streak, and they released their very passive-aggressive statement. Both times were publicly stated to be for family, which somehow required him to be first in Corsica, then Los Angeles. No it doesn't add up.

The constant is Chanot.

Yeah, not that I'm about to give anyone a pass or condone behavior without all the information. But Chanot is really starting to sound like Vin Diesel in Fast and Furious.

Vin Diesel Family GIF by The Fast Saga

And if you put that together with his shipping out of Malte A. (who cost 1.3M, was sold at a loss to Columbus for 500K funny money and is now valued at 3M) it leaves us looking quite incompetent under Cushing, Lee et al. Just sayin'
I don't fault them for Malte as much since he couldn't crack the starting lineup regularly while he was here. But we certainly did not get the most out of him when you look at what NYCFD paid for the transfer and how he performed after leaving.

The Ajaccio statement says his initial demand to be released from them came late February (6 months after he left NYCFC), which was also just as their transfer window closed. They refused him. Then he somehow made them so upset that a month later they summarily release him with 9 games left in their season as they sit on a 5-game winless streak, and they published their very passive-aggressive statement. Both times were publicly stated to be for family, which somehow required him to be first in Corsica, then Los Angeles. No it doesn't add up.

The constant is Chanot.

You get a like for both a good point and a Justified reference. It's a shame City Primeval = 2023-2024 NYCFC

• Haha
Reactions: mgarbowski